Gaming Beast
2120 posts

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

Apr 5, 2013

I just thought about it. They said gaming started droping off about 4 or 5 years or so ago. Isn't that about the time they took bc out of the ps3. Just a thought I just had. Makes you wonder though.

Happy Gaming.

Message 161 of 318 (534 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11371 posts

Apr 5, 2013

fantasyplayer wrote:

And the list gets longer for no bc on ps4 then it is a no buy. 

And it seems the most 'extra' people are willing to pay for B/C is $100-150.

I still maintain that a B/C sku would be $250-300 more, due to the fact that it will require extra cooling to keep both processors from melting.  I have seen ZERO people state that they would pay $250-300 extra for B/C, probably since you can currently buy a PS3 for $250.

I also still maintain that a B/C PS4 (aka a PS4 with a built in PS3) would be the size of a small refrigerator (also due to the extra cooling equipment that would be required).  Not exactly a space-saving device.

So basically, you'd have a $450 non-BC model that will fit next to your TV (for those of us keeping our PS3s) and a $750 B/C model that basically requires its own zip code.

Message 162 of 318 (530 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Apr 5, 2013

...Seriously? I was disappointed when I realized my PS3 couldn't play PS2 games, but the PS4 won't play PS3 games??? Not sure how I feel about that console anymore.

photo RioichiCooperBanner_zpsf37b2096.png
"Though the bamboo forest is dense, water flows through it without effort."
Message 163 of 318 (519 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7412 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Im keeping my ps3 (even though i dont play it that much anymore and im only looking forward to one more game) , ps4 is day 1 buy i always buy new systems to play their games not old games, i have a 60gb launch ps3 and the only ps2 game i have played was God of War 2 and that was because the game came out in march 2007. I will buy my ps4 to play ps4 games plain and simple. 

Message 164 of 318 (508 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2257 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 5, 2013
I don't think they are making a second version of any of them. I think they are all capable of 1080p, and ps4. I also think the code for ps1, ps2, isn't all that different. I think they could all play properly, it's just wether or not Sony wants to allow them to. The image maybe off considering newer technology tvs, on ps1 andps2. That just shows you how bad Sony systems was for developers to work with maybe? Now they are using other gpu's that PC developers are used to like computer gpu's. there wouldn't be a problem for bc with ps3 disks.

I think it's about time Sony is learning, how to make systems able to work with developers properly. However, I think it's close to to late, it's so much cheaper for PC gaming. Unless the games for consoles start at 30 bucks, it's really not worth the money. Ps2 had a Sony GPu in it, that's probably why ps1 is better compatible with ps3 systems. The ps2 is way off, the images from newer tvs.

Also pc's are bc, and can always gen to the best resolution depending on card. Games maybe older looking over time but always play in best resolution.
If anyone needs help, with something they are going thru? Im here to talk, I suffered severe SAD, severe Anxiety and severe Depression, luekemia, blood clots, foot ulcers from bad circulation, insomnia, amongst alot of other things. I thought I was gay, murderer, childmolester, transgender even thought I was the bad guy himself. Not judging any but knew I wasnt any them before and dont want to be. Just let me know, some i believe are severly wrong and will get you threw in jail as should, if you act on them. Im getting better. This wasnt sweet lies, like hey that hot woman likes you. Like they used to be. These was bad lies considering I wasnt none them before and dont want to be.
Message 165 of 318 (497 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2120 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 5, 2013

( Also pc's are bc, and can always gen to the best resolution depending on card. Games maybe older looking over time but always play in best resolution.)

And all in a small laptop with good quality. Smaller than a ps3.

Message 166 of 318 (473 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Apr 5, 2013

The more I think about it the more it becomes obvious PS4 BC with PS3 games should not be super tough, and here's why.

#1.  Most game developers even today do not really know how to program on the PS3.  This means they rely heavily on the PS3 GPU which is simply a modified PC GPU.  This means the bulk of many games are written in a way that could be run on any PC GPU which is higher speced then the 6 yr old PS3 PC GPU.

#2. The Cell itself is just an 8 core processor for the most part.  The new PS4 will have 8 cores, but each core will be more powerful.

This means what one PS3 core could do, one PS4 core should be able to do, especially when combined with point #1.  The devs were not fully using the cell, they were treating it like a normal 8 core PC chip, thats why some many multiplatform games run like but on PS3.

I would say these same games would run much better on PS4 almost certainly.

#3 High ranking Sony officials have stated software emulation is possible for most games, and something they do want to explore.

#4 With Gaikai the PS4 could read the disc and any portion of games which use the cell as intended such as Drakes, Killzone, basically all the best PS3 exclusives the Gaikai should be able to suplement that portion.  Think about how the PS3 hard drive works with the Bluray disc to play one game, add the Gaikai and between the three no task should be too large.  The way Gaikai does compression is supposed to half the bandwidth of what we use today to stream.

Its just a matter of time to see if PS4 will be a money maker or taker for Sony, if its a maker is the only way this would happen.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 167 of 318 (469 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11371 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

#2. The Cell itself is just an 8 core processor for the most part.  The new PS4 will have 8 cores, but each core will be more powerful.

This means what one PS3 core could do, one PS4 core should be able to do, especially when combined with point #1.  The devs were not fully using the cell, they were treating it like a normal 8 core PC chip, thats why some many multiplatform games run like but on PS3.

I would say these same games would run much better on PS4 almost certainly.

You have a human mouth attached to a human brain.  By your logic, you should be able to speak and understand any human language.

Can you read, speak and understand Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Vietnamese, and fully differentiate between these languages?

One multicore processor =/= another.  Otherwise you should be able to freely play Playstation games on an Xbox or vice versa (since both consoles are powered by multi-core processors).  The reason you can't is because different processors rely on vastly different languages.  This can be best illustrated by looking at the "semi-backward compatible" PS3 skus.  The ones that had the GPU from the PS2, but emulated the EE using the Cell processor.  PS2 compatibility dropped to around 45% from PS3 models that had both the EE and the GPU (~97%).

Software emulation is possible, but it is extremely unliklely that it would be anywhere near 100% compatible.  It is possible that smaller, lighter PSN titles would be successfully emulated, but it is unlikely that any PS3 AAA titles (Uncharted, GoW, inFamous, etc) would work through software emulation on the PS4, due to the fact that they tend to push the PS3 HARDWARE closer to its limits.  To run these titles on the PS4, you would need the PS3 HARDWARE to run it on.

Message 168 of 318 (456 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1609 posts

Apr 5, 2013

I'm going to try something crazy, this could mess upmy brain big time if it doesn't work.
I'm going to try to keep my PS3 like I did with both PS2s and get a PS4, it may not work but I must try.

Message 169 of 318 (453 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 5, 2013

TheDster wrote:
I don't think they are making a second version of any of them. I think they are all capable of 1080p, and ps4. I also think the code for ps1, ps2, isn't all that different. Umm..... No.... are you a programmer? Were you ever, at any time, a developer? No.... didn't think so... Once again, more drivel.

I think they could all play properly, it's just wether or not Sony wants to allow them to. The image maybe off considering newer technology tvs, on ps1 andps2. That just shows you how bad Sony systems was for developers to work with maybe? Now they are using other gpu's that PC developers are used to like computer gpu's. there wouldn't be a problem for bc with ps3 disks.
Just because "you think".... doesnt make it fact.

I think it's about time Sony is learning, how to make systems able to work with developers properly. However, I think it's close to to late, it's so much cheaper for PC gaming. Unless the games for consoles start at 30 bucks, it's really not worth the money. Ps2 had a Sony GPu in it, that's probably why ps1 is better compatible with ps3 systems. The ps2 is way off, the images from newer tvs.
Again.... are you a programmer/developer? Do you understand hardware? Do you understand business? Of course you don't.... once again..... drivel

Also pc's are bc, and can always gen to the best resolution depending on card. Games maybe older looking over time but always play in best resolution.
Coming from someone who has a 20 year old PC with 20year old components... 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 170 of 318 (570 Views)
0 Likes