Reply
Last Guardian
Registered: 04/18/2007
Offline
11299 posts
 

Re: keeping your ps3 and you wont worried about BC on the ps4. really?

Mar 31, 2013

Emerald_Swords wrote:

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

You guys that are freaking out over BC do not even realize that the industry is moving more towards an online based system. Meaning the games you have on your PS3 will most likely be avaialbe for download. Yes it would suck having to buy the game twice but I'm sure they will be at a discounted rate. Stop getting your panties all in a bunch b/c the PS4 wont be BC. If your that worried about it then dont get one and just keep playing your PS3. The reason sony is releasing the PS4 is so that we can PLAY PS4 GAMES NOT PS3 GAMES.


They explained at the conference that Gaikai will enable us to stream Psone and Ps2 games.


Gaikai will be streaming PS One, PS 2 and PS 3. Ye forgot the PS 3 streaming.

Message 91 of 318 (341 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 04/18/2007
Offline
11299 posts
 

Re: keeping your ps3 and you wont worried about BC on the ps4. really?

Mar 31, 2013

No backwards compatibility no PS 4

 

Please feel free to join in the other thread. There really is no need to create a new thread on the same basic topic.

Message 92 of 318 (324 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
10903 posts
 

Re: keeping your ps3 and you wont worried about BC on the ps4. really?

Mar 31, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

Gaikai will be streaming PS One, PS 2 and PS 3. Ye forgot the PS 3 streaming.


 

Let's not forget that the streaming will likely extend to the PSVita, as well.  Add to that the PS4 games will be remote playable across the board...  

Message 93 of 318 (322 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

[ Edited ]
Apr 1, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

superfriar19 wrote:

@Icestar10

 

Yep, blame Europe.

 

Lead free solder is garbage. Better for the enviroment and workers health but horrible for electronics. It doesn't flow well which in turn results in poor solder joints which in turn results in more rework which in turn results in higher production costs. It also doesn't handle the constant heating up/cooling down that come from prolonged usage. The joints get weak over time and eventually just break and lose their connection.


Obviously you're too young to remember all of the people back in the 70's who worked tirelessly to get lead out of products like pencils, house paint, gasoline (why do you think it's called "unleaded"), pots, pans, crystal glassware, plumbing, canned food, children's cribs and furniture, and even household electronics. But hey, let's undo all they did to make sure there's plenty of lead in your game console. So what if children get lead poisoning, suffer from birth defects, and have epilepsy, and all of those compounds eventually find their way into our drinking water. At least you get lots of tastey lead in your PS4!

 

Furthermore, idium and bizmuth based solders have melting points 5-20 degrees celsius HIGHER than lead based solders. This whole "poor solder joints" sounds like a gamer logic myth, and something that the gamer cognoscenti has repeated, and has just accepted as an illusory of truth.

 

 


I can understand if lead needs to be removed due to the danger of having it ;but something just as strong as lead should be developed. I know your stance of the whole YLOD issue so I won't try to convince you,  but there are to many people who got the YLOD. There have been too much of them to ignore. How many people out there who still have the original PS3 that still works?

 

 I got the YOLD, and I know some who got the YLOD, my brother knows people who got the YLOD. Some of the slims with the white leds got them. I have not seen any of the slims without the white leds get them (I have that SKU) nor have I seen the super slim get the YLOD so it may have been solved but it's a problem that plagues the fat PS3's and you can deny it all you want but it does not change the fact that many of the older PS3’s got them.

 

Now as for backwards compatibility, my main reason for desiring it  on the PS4 is so I don’t have to worry about my PS3 breaking. Although I am fully aware of how impossible it is, you can’t criticize people for being upset about their PS3 breaking  especially since they spent $400-$600 on those old fat PS3’s.

Message 94 of 318 (343 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
10903 posts
 

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

Apr 1, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

superfriar19 wrote:

@Icestar10

 

Yep, blame Europe.

 

Lead free solder is garbage. Better for the enviroment and workers health but horrible for electronics. It doesn't flow well which in turn results in poor solder joints which in turn results in more rework which in turn results in higher production costs. It also doesn't handle the constant heating up/cooling down that come from prolonged usage. The joints get weak over time and eventually just break and lose their connection.


Obviously you're too young to remember all of the people back in the 70's who worked tirelessly to get lead out of products like pencils, house paint, gasoline (why do you think it's called "unleaded"), pots, pans, crystal glassware, plumbing, canned food, children's cribs and furniture, and even household electronics. But hey, let's undo all they did to make sure there's plenty of lead in your game console. So what if children get lead poisoning, suffer from birth defects, and have epilepsy, and all of those compounds eventually find their way into our drinking water. At least you get lots of tastey lead in your PS4!

 

Furthermore, idium and bizmuth based solders have melting points 5-20 degrees celsius HIGHER than lead based solders. This whole "poor solder joints" sounds like a gamer logic myth, and something that the gamer cognoscenti has repeated, and has just accepted as an illusory of truth.

 

 


I can understand if lead needs to be removed due to the danger of having it ;but something just as strong as lead should be developed. I know your stance of the whole YLOD issue so I won't try to convince you,  but there are to many people who got the YLOD. There have been too much of them to ignore. How many people out there who still have the original PS3 that still works?

 

 I got the YOLD, and I know some who got the YLOD, my brother knows people who got the YLOD. Some of the slims with the white leds got them. I have not seen any of the slims without the white leds get them (I have that SKU) nor have I seen the super slim get the YLOD so it may have been solved but it's a problem that plagues the fat PS3's and you can deny it all you want but it does not change the fact that many of the older PS3’s got them.

 

Now as for backwards compatibility, my main reason for desiring it  on the PS4 is so I don’t have to worry about my PS3 breaking. Although I am fully aware of how impossible it is, you can’t criticize people for being upset about their PS3 breaking  especially since they spent $400-$600 on those old fat PS3’s.

 


The problem with the PS3 isn't the lead-free solder itself...

 

It is the fact that the Cell is held to the board with solder at all.  Most modern computer components use alternate methods to secure heat-intensive components to circuit boards.  ZIF-sockets, for example, hold a processor to a circuit board via an array of pins which are inserted into a socket array and held there by mechanical pressure.  The socket itself is often soldered to the circuitboard, but the solder is secured on the opposite side of the board (and socket) away from the source of most heat.

 

I know that not much has been released about the PS4 at this point, but I have it on fairly good authority that the AMD Jaguar processor is a Notebook APU that will utilize Socket FS1/FS2.  This is, in fact, a ZIF-socket that should protect the PS4's hardware from the evil lead-free solder issue.

Message 95 of 318 (331 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

[ Edited ]
Apr 1, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

superfriar19 wrote:

@Icestar10

 

Yep, blame Europe.

 

Lead free solder is garbage. Better for the enviroment and workers health but horrible for electronics. It doesn't flow well which in turn results in poor solder joints which in turn results in more rework which in turn results in higher production costs. It also doesn't handle the constant heating up/cooling down that come from prolonged usage. The joints get weak over time and eventually just break and lose their connection.


Obviously you're too young to remember all of the people back in the 70's who worked tirelessly to get lead out of products like pencils, house paint, gasoline (why do you think it's called "unleaded"), pots, pans, crystal glassware, plumbing, canned food, children's cribs and furniture, and even household electronics. But hey, let's undo all they did to make sure there's plenty of lead in your game console. So what if children get lead poisoning, suffer from birth defects, and have epilepsy, and all of those compounds eventually find their way into our drinking water. At least you get lots of tastey lead in your PS4!

 

Furthermore, idium and bizmuth based solders have melting points 5-20 degrees celsius HIGHER than lead based solders. This whole "poor solder joints" sounds like a gamer logic myth, and something that the gamer cognoscenti has repeated, and has just accepted as an illusory of truth.

 

 


I can understand if lead needs to be removed due to the danger of having it ;but something just as strong as lead should be developed. I know your stance of the whole YLOD issue so I won't try to convince you,  but there are to many people who got the YLOD. There have been too much of them to ignore. How many people out there who still have the original PS3 that still works?

 

 I got the YOLD, and I know some who got the YLOD, my brother knows people who got the YLOD. Some of the slims with the white leds got them. I have not seen any of the slims without the white leds get them (I have that SKU) nor have I seen the super slim get the YLOD so it may have been solved but it's a problem that plagues the fat PS3's and you can deny it all you want but it does not change the fact that many of the older PS3’s got them.

 

Now as for backwards compatibility, my main reason for desiring it  on the PS4 is so I don’t have to worry about my PS3 breaking. Although I am fully aware of how impossible it is, you can’t criticize people for being upset about their PS3 breaking  especially since they spent $400-$600 on those old fat PS3’s.

 


The problem with the PS3 isn't the lead-free solder itself...

 

It is the fact that the Cell is held to the board with solder at all.  Most modern computer components use alternate methods to secure heat-intensive components to circuit boards.  ZIF-sockets, for example, hold a processor to a circuit board via an array of pins which are inserted into a socket array and held there by mechanical pressure.  The socket itself is often soldered to the circuitboard, but the solder is secured on the opposite side of the board (and socket) away from the source of most heat.

 

I know that not much has been released about the PS4 at this point, but I have it on fairly good authority that the AMD Jaguar processor is a Notebook APU that will utilize Socket FS1/FS2.  This is, in fact, a ZIF-socket that should protect the PS4's hardware from the evil lead-free solder issue.


I see, thanks for clearing that up for me. I am not entirely familiar with stuff like this but I would like to learn more about this! Smiley Happy I also hear that the PS4 chip will use less electricity and heat so that is a good thing.

 

Message 96 of 318 (326 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 11/18/2008
Offline
98 posts
 

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

Apr 1, 2013

I don't get the OP at all... Will your ps3 somehow dissappear? If you really want to play ps3 games jsut hook it up one day.

[URL="http://psnprofiles.com/biscoto23"][IMG]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/biscoto23.png[/IMG][/URL]
Message 97 of 318 (309 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 10/08/2007
Online
6002 posts
 

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

Apr 1, 2013

Sigh...

Couple people here like to keep bringing this up and it's getting old and deja vu like the PS3 forum (when it was not merged) years ago here - move on with your lives people, making a mountain out of a molehill. I'll just post these links from now on - the few of you who keep crying about this just are stuck in your own Matrix...

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Will-the-PS4-be-compatible-to-play-PS3-ga...

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Will-the-PS4-be-compatible-to-play-PS3-ga...

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Will-the-PS4-be-compatible-to-play-PS3-ga...

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PlayStation-4-premium-service-ideas-predi...

 

You think that's alot of reading btw - imagine the daily new threads of the few people crying for this feature in the PS4, when BC IS THERE - through the Gaikai service, just not your disc games.

 

Funny thing is, I'm going to be watching these people like a hawk in a couple years who are doing the crying - PS4 owners through and through, just a matter of when not if or at all Smiley Wink!

Message 98 of 318 (292 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 09/07/2012
Offline
1102 posts
 

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

[ Edited ]
Apr 1, 2013

da1writer wrote:

Sigh...

Couple people here like to keep bringing this up and it's getting old and deja vu like the PS3 forum (when it was not merged) years ago here - move on with your lives people, making a mountain out of a molehill. I'll just post these links from now on - the few of you who keep crying about this just are stuck in your own Matrix...

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Will-the-PS4-be-compatible-to-play-PS3-ga...

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Will-the-PS4-be-compatible-to-play-PS3-ga...

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Will-the-PS4-be-compatible-to-play-PS3-ga...

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PlayStation-4-premium-service-ideas-predi...

 

You think that's alot of reading btw - imagine the daily new threads of the few people crying for this feature in the PS4, when BC IS THERE - through the Gaikai service, just not your disc games.

 

Funny thing is, I'm going to be watching these people like a hawk in a couple years who are doing the crying - PS4 owners through and through, just a matter of when not if or at all Smiley Wink!


Yup, and the above links just scratch the surface, there are even more. Get over it people, and just wait and see what happens, maybe Sony will surprise all of us in ways we never expected. Good job da1writer. I agree all the whining is starting to get old.

Message 99 of 318 (283 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: No backwards compatibility NO PS4

[ Edited ]
Apr 1, 2013

If these threads do bother some of you then I highly suggest you guys ignore these BC threads. It's not like you can stop it. Let people complain. I mean, there are better things to do with your time, right? Smiley Happy

 

Personally, multiple threads of a certain topic do not bother me because if I am not interested in a certain thread I just ignore it. I suggest you guys who don't like these threads to do the same.

 

Message 100 of 318 (277 Views)