First Son
5 posts

Re: No backward compatibility really sucks on PS4

Jan 3, 2014

I see where you're coming from, i just switched to ps4 from xbox 360 and i'd really love to play all of these ps3 titles, BUT YES, it really is that dificult to make backwords compatability. It gets harder with each generation, as each system has a completely different coding. They have always relyed on emulators, which worked just fine, but it was barely an option for emulating ps3 and xbox 360 titles. Sony really did plan on basically just putting in a separate ps3 CPU within the ps4 just to overcome this, but it turned out that the heat generated by this was just far too much, it would break the new systems. 

Message 71 of 81 (365 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

Jan 3, 2014
People that **bleep** and moan about the ps4 not having BC support need to stop **bleep**. Gaikai is coming, with that you'll have access to every game released on a main PS console. Does the system have BC right now, no. When Gaikai comes live, the system will have the largest game library in the history of the industry, spanning 4 console generations.

People really need to stop complaining and start thinking.
My PSN
Message 72 of 81 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Jan 3, 2014

Anyways, I wish the PS4 was BC with PSone, PS2 and PS3 games. I know why there is no PS3 BC, but I don't understand why there is no PSone and PS2 emulation software. I guess it's because they want to use Gaikai for legacy titles. I look forward to learning more about it.

Message 73 of 81 (338 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
464 posts

Jan 3, 2014

the_ed_85 wrote:
People that **bleep** and moan about the ps4 not having BC support need to stop **bleep**. Gaikai is coming, with that you'll have access to every game released on a main PS console. Does the system have BC right now, no. When Gaikai comes live, the system will have the largest game library in the history of the industry, spanning 4 console generations.

People really need to stop complaining and start thinking.

Yes but Gaikai doesn't let you play the games you already own, but those folks should have kept their old consoles. I think getting rid of your systems is not a smart idea, especially if you get an "old school" feeling and want to play something you haven't in years. So, who cares if BC is available in new consoles, just keep your old ones, and yes it is that easy. Anybody can make room for 4 or more consoles in their entertainment centers, those who say they can't are just too lazy or not smart. New consoles are announced sometimes a whole year before release so anybody with even a minimum wage paying job can save up in time to get one upon a release without having to sell or trade in the old console for a new one. Just saying.

photo giphydgd.gif
"Hey look a PS4 for sale! Quick someone get it before it's sold!!"
Message 74 of 81 (336 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 7, 2014

For me, it's more about preserving my game library rather than space. I do indeed prefer less hardware cluttering my living room, but that's not the main reason why I want backwards compatibility.  Rather, my main reason for wanting backwards compatibility is for game preservation. All consoles eventually break, especially modern consoles since they have more parts and are more prone to heat. I would prefer to just be able to play all my PlayStation games on the newest PlayStation hardware rather than keep re-buying PSone's, PS2's, and PS3's as they break down from use. It's more convenient that way.

The way it works on PC's is that you buy games on Steam and they always carry over to your new PC; at least that is how I understand it. I would like to have that with PlayStation consoles too. I think that was Ken Kutaragi's vision with the PlayStation brand:

"PSone runs on the PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware. PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for PS2 software and the format will continue forever,"-Ken Kutaragi

Also, Phil Harrison said this:

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer, and access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format, meaning that it transcends many devices - PSOne, PS2, and now PS3."

I do know that PC only does that because it had the same architecture for a long time, and that consoles change architectures constantly. But I just don't understand why people are attacked just for having this preference. Just because the majority of people here don't care about the feature does not mean I should  adopt this opinion too.

I do know that adding backwards compatibility is not easy and probably really expensive but that does not mean that I should not be disappointed and accept it with a smile and say "no big deal". It is a big deal.

Backwards compatibility is important to me and I don't mind paying extra for it. Sony patented an external adapter for backwards compatibility. I would like this adapter at least so I can play PSone, PS2 and PS3 games on the PS4. I prefer internal backwards compatibility but this adapter is better than nothing.

Also I am keeping my PS3, but I won't buy another PS3 once it dies. 

Message 75 of 81 (332 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Jan 3, 2014

UntotenKartoffel wrote:

I see where you're coming from, i just switched to ps4 from xbox 360 and i'd really love to play all of these ps3 titles, BUT YES, it really is that dificult to make backwords compatability. It gets harder with each generation, as each system has a completely different coding. They have always relyed on emulators, which worked just fine, but it was barely an option for emulating ps3 and xbox 360 titles. Sony really did plan on basically just putting in a separate ps3 CPU within the ps4 just to overcome this, but it turned out that the heat generated by this was just far too much, it would break the new systems. 

I too swtiched from the XBOX 360 to the PS4.  I literally didn't find out that the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible until I was standing in line to buy it on Black Friday at Game Stop.  I just assumed that it was and was very disappointed to hear that.  One of the main reasons I switched was to go back and play all the cool games I missed out on the previous 7 years with my XBOX (God of War, Uncharted, Infamous, etc.).  So rather than wait for this Gakai service (which I have extreme doubts about) I just hopped on Craigs List and found a cheap used PS3.  Bought that and then went to game stop and bought all the games I wanted (used and cheap).  I've been playing the PS3 for the past month and loving it.  Once more games come out for the PS4 and I finish all those PS3 games then I'll look to sell the PS3 if I can and strictly play the PS4 going forward.

Message 76 of 81 (325 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

Jan 3, 2014
The argument of backwards compatibility is a valid one HOWEVER, the very, very THIN game lineup for PS4 right now (IMO) is what's eating most of us who bought one. If there were even four or five more "Triple-A" games to go along with the likes of the new versions of Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, and CoD, you wouldn't hear half as many complaints about the lack of backwards compatibility. That's my opinion.
With such a thin lineup of games; virtually no good games that are PS4 exclusive, us new gen gamers have a hunger. We're all spoiled from the past few years with so many games available.
This is where the point comes to just be patient with the new Playstation. If the good old' PS3 is anything to go by, the future of gaming is bright!
Not to mention, those of us who have the PS4 now are very lucky! So let's play the **bleep** out of the games that are available to us! Go for those big trophies, explore every detail, unlock everything...I say be patient and in the meantime..
GAME IT UP!!!
Message 77 of 81 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
93 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 3, 2014

Honesty, I do think it does suck, but I also wonder that if they had provided it, if they'd try to charge some fee.

Now, I'm not saying that in general Sony is money-hungry, but they are charging for online now, which I guess makes sense considering the amount of people who play multiplayer. For those like me, though, who mostly just use it to access Netflix and what not, it's a bit of a con for me.

I just upgraded from my PS3 Fat to a Slim, as the other one I've had since 2005 and was having some freeze issues/lower GB. Considering games for the PS3 are still being made and I need to wait for the price to drop a bit/more games anyway, I'm not worried about my upgrade decision. Smiley Happy

Currently playing: L.A. Noire

Just bought a PS4! Smiley Very Happy
Message 78 of 81 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

Jan 3, 2014

Icestar10 wrote:

CradleOfFish wrote:
Yes but Gaikai doesn't let you play the games you already own, but those folks should have kept their old consoles. I think getting rid of your systems is not a smart idea, especially if you get an "old school" feeling and want to play something you haven't in years. So, who cares if BC is available in new consoles, just keep your old ones, and yes it is that easy. Anybody can make room for 4 or more consoles in their entertainment centers, those who say they can't are just too lazy or not smart. New consoles are announced sometimes a whole year before release so anybody with even a minimum wage paying job can save up in time to get one upon a release without having to sell or trade in the old console for a new one. Just saying.

I care...For me, it's more about preserving my game library rather than space. I do indeed prefer less hardware cluttering my living room, but that's not the main reason why I want BC.  Rather, my main reason for wanting BC is for game preservation. All consoles eventually break, especially modern consoles since they have more parts and are more prone to heat. I would prefer to just be able to play all my PlayStation games on the newest PlayStation hardware rather than keep re-buying PSone's PS2's and PS3's as they break down from use. It's more convenient that way.

The way it works on PC's is that you buy games on Steam and they always carry over to your new PC,as far as I know. I also would like to have that with PlayStation consoles too. I think that was Ken Kutaragi's vision with the PlayStation brand. Although I also think the original vision was to have all electronics adopt the Cell processor too which doomed PS3 BC from the start because the Cell never caught on.

I do know that PC only does that because it had the same architecture for a long time, and that consoles change architectures constantly. But I just don't understand why people are attacked just for having this preference. Just because the majority of people here don't care about the feature does not mean I should  adopt this opinion too.

I do know that adding BC is not easy and probably really expensive but that does not mean that I should not be disappointed and accept it with a smile and say "no big deal". It is a big deal to me but I understand why it had to be like this.

Also I am keeping my PS3, but I won't buy another PS3 once it dies.

Agreed so few people want this that its not worth Sony's investment and price increase it would cause on the customer. ok maybe 10 thousand people want it badly. but the other 1million 900 thousand may walk on past with no sales due to now a higher costing console with features they may never use or never want.

Message 79 of 81 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Jan 3, 2014

Here ya go, just saw this yesterday. They will be able to add to the old games.

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src="//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151792516826881&amp;set=a.152840271880.122302.138801591880... data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151792516826881&amp;set=a.152840271880.122302.138801591880... by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/OPSAustralia">Official PlayStation Magazine - Australia</a>.</div></div>

Message 80 of 81 (287 Views)
0 Likes