Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 02 2013
By: spudsudz Hekseville Citizen 351 posts

No Where Close To Being Ready For The PS4

[ Edited ]
9 replies 230 views Edited Feb 2, 2013

Primarily because it is my feeling that the PS3 is finally getting close to the vision of what we thought it could be on it's launch date...  Not that the PS3 will shut down the day the PS4 arrives...  We know better as the PS2 thrived long after the PS3 launched.

To my way of thinking it is never about the hardware but rather more importantly, the software...  The games...  My first PS3 went Pfft after 4 years and I instantly bought the new slim model because I didn't want to miss out on the games...  Not even for a day.

The games...  Have we ever seen a better roster of upcoming games In a year than what we have waiting for us in 2013?  Many being PS3 exclusives...  I am going to go game broke this year and revel in the fact the Devs have really mastered the PS3 hardware learning curve...

Going to ride the PS3 wave for as long as I can...  Hopefully for 3 more years while the PS4 grows up...  Just maybe in 10 years down the road I can write a similar post for the PS4 as the buzz for the PS5 grows...

Long Live Play

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (230 Views)
PlayStation MVP
24691 posts

Re: No Where Close To Being Ready For The PS4

Feb 2, 2013

One doesn't preclude you from enjoying the other. If a new console comes you don't have to rush out and buy it, and you can continue to enjoy your PS3 as long as you like.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (223 Views)
Sackboy
409 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 2, 2013

Captain is right, i still find enjoyment in my old systems. You rarely want to rush out and buy a new tech. product upon its release, i've discovered because all the issues that arise from a "company" (i.e nintend, microsoft, apple, sony) trying to rush a product out and not fully testing it. The first Ps3 had a very small HDD and was the one most prone to YLOD. Apple iphone 5 (we all know what happened w/ the maps) Windows:98,M.E.-2000, xp, vista,&7 all had flaws when they were first released and had to be made over many times. The PS4 i suspect will be no different. It will have it's early flaws and will have many better "models" follow it. Much like PS3 HDD upgrades, Slim, superslim. 

/)/)
(-,-)
*(")(")
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (217 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

Feb 2, 2013

Both of you are right...  I just remember a long drought between Heavenly Sword and Resistance  and the next wave of PS3 worthy games...  LOL...  I am riding this very cool time where there are more games than I have time to play...  It is a great time to be a Sony Fan Boy...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Feb 2, 2013
The PS3 era became about setting a foundation and learning. Sony had major losses through hardware sales, Sony's network was breached, the Cell Processor was a flop, the way Ram was allocated kept them from adding certain features, and much more. Transition from the PS3 to the PS4 is going to be like no other console transition. Cross-play is set, their web store is set, their new console store is set, pre-order and day one release for almost all new releases is set, Playstation Plus is set, their Music Unlimited service has grown and just needs a little more advertising, and there's much more that can be added.

The only issue I see there being is backwards compatibility, if that isn't implemented in some way I see the PS4 having a major set back.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 2, 2013

Well technically after the 20 and 60 GB PS3 units, backwards compatibility was removed from our current consoles...  I think the bigger issue is if they RF tag game disc(s) to eliminate the ability to purchase and play used games...  Again only time will tell...  I hope you are correct about the seamless transition for most of critical tech criteria...  

I am assuming that physical game media will still be the norm...  They are putting full boat PS3 games on the PS Store right now on launch date....  What better way to eliminate the use of used games than to go to a fully digital download approach...  Of course that would pose a problem for gamers that choose not to be connected to the net...

Again, forgive me if I relish the current state of the gaming world...

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Feb 2, 2013

many developers are just now really getting a grip on the cell processor and its full ability..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (177 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48434 posts

Feb 2, 2013

spudsudz wrote:

Primarily because it is my feeling that the PS3 is finally getting close to the vision of what we thought it could be on it's launch date...  Not that the PS3 will shut down the day the PS4 arrives...  We know better as the PS2 thrived long after the PS3 launched.

To my way of thinking it is never about the hardware but rather more importantly, the software...  The games...  My first PS3 went Pfft after 4 years and I instantly bought the new slim model because I didn't want to miss out on the games...  Not even for a day.

The games...  Have we ever seen a better roster of upcoming games In a year than what we have waiting for us in 2013?  Many being PS3 exclusives...  I am going to go game broke this year and revel in the fact the Devs have really mastered the PS3 hardware learning curve...

Going to ride the PS3 wave for as long as I can...  Hopefully for 3 more years while the PS4 grows up...  Just maybe in 10 years down the road I can write a similar post for the PS4 as the buzz for the PS5 grows...

Long Live Play

You sound like you are concerned about the PS4 coming out in a similar way to me.  I'm not ready to move on from my PS3 either! :smileytongue:

Check it out http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/PS3-To-PS4-hopes-and-speculations/m-p/39446965#...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

Feb 2, 2013

@PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Read your post and yes I would say we have similar positions re: the PS4...  Change is always going to happen in the gaming world...  Let's simply hope for a solid transition...

I suspect that the new console will focus on upgrading the PS3...  A real rocket science comment there...  LOL

Higher frames per second 

Higher processing speed

Etc...

Since I purchased the Vita, early adopter type here, I hope there is a lot of handshaking planned between the PS4 and the new handheld... 

Assuming that the 2-20 announcement is the unveiling of the PS4, or whatever they name it, there will be plenty of time for Sony to educate us before it hits retail...  In the meantime, PS3 for me...

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (114 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Feb 3, 2013
There is always the chance that the best games of this generation come after the announcement of the next one. The PS2 had a couple of good years in this same scenario.
Sure we all want to enjoy the big titles that may come out on the first months of the PS4, but those of us without that much money will have to endure xD
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (70 Views)
0 Likes