Apr 20 2017
By: Bfoali_Liszt Lombax Warrior 110 posts

Nioh vs Bloodbourne . . final thoughts from an amateur

10 replies 158 views Edited 6 days ago

Okay nobody might care--but I always wanted the thoughts of an amaerture gamer--like moi--on this topic. . . espcially on deciding WHICH game to begin first for those new to the Bourne/Souls series.

HARDER:

Nioh, personally, was MUCH harder. From the average enemies you find on the street to fight, to the bosses which really test the theory of ''die and try again'', I found Nioh much harder than Bloodbourne. Had I played Nioh FIRST, I dont know if I could have finished it, or would have wanted to even try BB.

GRAPHICS:

BB no doubt.  Though you can adjust game frame rate in Nioh for better graphics.

STORY

This is harder to decide. Nioh has an easy story to understnd--easy, meaning, that there are many cut scenes and characters. BB almost has no cutscenes. Yet, I found the story of BB more exciting because I had to try to udnerstand the folklore, I had to do more investiagating, more studying. The lack of a story that was easily accesbile made me want to read more: why are there demons here, ''wolf''people, the girl and her music box, etc.

Nioh has a fun story--and sometimes a funny story--but nothing I care to investiage further IMO.

WHICH ONE TO DO FIRST?

BB no doubt IMO. Nioh is hard enough to be ''I have to give up and try a new game.'' BB is easier, and also accustoms you to the HIGHS and LOWS of theese games. If you have never played DS .  . . BB will teach you the idea behind these games, stamina managment, health risks, etc.

WHICH IS FUNNER?

I found BB funner . . . but because Nioh was harder, the highs of beating the bosses couldnt compare to BB. But BB was my first Dark Souls like game I beat. It will always have a speciail place in my heart.

I hope this helps anyone..iunno

Message 1 of 11 (158 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6012 posts

Re: Nioh vs Bloodbourne . . final thoughts from an amateur

6 days ago

This is an interesting read.  It's cool to see what newcomers think of games like these.

Message 2 of 11 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1099 posts

6 days ago
I haven't played Nioh, just wasn't drawn to it. I don't know why, maybe just the graphical style of it. I may buy it somewhere down the line when it's on sale cheap.

I'm a massive fan of Bloodborne though. Like you, having to investigate to find out the lore made me love it even more and want to explore every corner of every area.

The setting, story, music and graphics all come together to make an amazing game.

I see you have played DS2 but not DS3. DS3 is a must in my opinion if you liked Bloodborne. The combat is a bit slicker and faster than DS2 and makes for a much more fun game
Message 3 of 11 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

6 days ago
I agree...I really want to give DS3 a try. I'm just so exhausted 😓😓 from all these games..time to give AC ezio trilogy another try 👍🏻👍🏻
Message 4 of 11 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
700 posts

6 days ago

Interesting...

What made you think Nioh was harder though? Did you try the Chalices in BB? Are you a solo player or a multi player?

My distaste for Nioh is pretty well known though. 

Anyways, glad to hear you atleast gave BB a try. 

Message 5 of 11 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

6 days ago
I haven't tried those yet. I have the dlc so I might finish that first...apparently you have to beat vicar Amelia again, but that shouldn't be too bad.

Message 6 of 11 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

6 days ago
With why Nioh is hard...imo, the bosses just took much longer than BB for me ...and even the trolls with the tounges were way harder to beat every time easily than anything jn BB
Message 7 of 11 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

6 days ago
Wait I forgot to ask: why do u hate Nioh so much?
Message 8 of 11 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3681 posts

6 days ago

I think both Bloodborne and Nioh are great games, and whilst they share similarities they are distinct enough that the core appeal of each is different.

Bloodborne has the FromSoftware trademark "mysterious story, great gameplay, discovery and death" whilst Nioh goes for the Ninja Gaiden combat of skill perfection and story exposition with cutscenes and explanations.

I played Bloodborne for the feeling of discovery and wonder, and I played Nioh for the chance to hack and slash at yokai in epic battles. So for me, they have a somewhat equal standing, and I may pick one or the other depending on the day or mood!

Message 9 of 11 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
700 posts

5 days ago

Bfoali_Liszt wrote:
Wait I forgot to ask: why do u hate Nioh so much?

For me it just felt like a "hollow" experience.

Nioh to me is a Ninja Gaiden game trying to masquerade as a Souls game. And as a result it makes for a poor Souls substitution and a even poorer Ninja Gaiden.

To be straight up front Nioh to me is just plan NOT fun. It wasn't challenging and fighting was just plain boring.

By trying to be one thing while imitating another. It loses all sense of depth. Nioh doesn't recreate the Souls experience like it so desperately tried to do. And it plays no where near as good as a Ninja Gaiden game.

This is why Nioh to me is such a bad game. Its not a Souls game and its no Ninja Gaiden. It tried to be both and failed. It has no place other than to be a poor substitute. 

Message 10 of 11 (50 Views)
0 Likes