Highlighted
Sep 23 2011
By: Wakefulness I Only Post Everything 1306 posts

Nico Nico Douga: Live Broadcast Certain PS VITA Games

8 replies 574 views Edited Sep 23, 2011

From Andriasang.com,

http://andriasang.com/comya6/images/23feg/full.jpg

Nikkei reports that Nico Nico operator Niwango is working on developer tools that will allow developers to build live broadcast functionality into their games . . . Next year, Niwango plans on updating the API to support live broadcasting of gameplay footage . . .

More,

As indicated by the talk of a developer API, these broadcast features are at the game level rather than system level. It looks like games will have to include support for the live broadcast feature by incorporating Niwango's API.

Do you like this idea? Do you think it will translate over to the US and perhaps there will be Justin.tv livestream or Youtube video record module to allow similar game-broadcasting functionality in the US?

Message 1 of 9 (574 Views)
Sackboy
456 posts

Re: Nico Nico Douga: Live Broadcast Certain PS VITA Games

Sep 24, 2011

This feature is wonderful I would love to stream vids of my gameplays to make guides for ppl.

Message 2 of 9 (574 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8190 posts

Sep 24, 2011

A Youtube Record Module (like the PS3's) would be incredible. I am actually experimenting with my PSP how to "cam" a screen for gameplay footage.

Message 3 of 9 (574 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Sep 24, 2011

D-Roy12 wrote:

This feature is wonderful I would love to stream vids of my gameplays to make guides for ppl.

Do you know Japanese?

Message 4 of 9 (574 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Sep 24, 2011

Doppelgangergang wrote:

A Youtube Record Module (like the PS3's) would be incredible. I am actually experimenting with my PSP how to "cam" a screen for gameplay footage.

I do not own a PS3 so, can you please explain how the youtube record module works, Doppelgangergang? Thank you.

Message 5 of 9 (574 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8190 posts

Sep 24, 2011

Wakefulness wrote:

Doppelgangergang wrote:

I do not own a PS3 so, can you please explain how the youtube record module works, Doppelgangergang? Thank you.

The video recording is up to the developer to use. Most devs, sadly, don't use video recording.

I only own one game that utilizes the Video Recording, and that would be Just Cause 2. You select "Start Recording" on the pause menu then play as normal as the game records video. When you are done, you hit pause then "Stop Recording." Now, at this point you can either save the video to hard disk where you can copy it to a USB stick for editing, or you can select "Upload Video" and then you input your Youtube credentials, input title, input tags, descriptions, public/private all that sort of stuff.

Then you just sit back and wait for the upload. Last time I checked there isn't background upload though.

Just Cause 2 also has the "Continuous Record" mode. The game would be recording all the time. If some hilarious unexpected surprise shows up (and there are MANY in JC2) then you could hit "Save Instant Replay" and save the last 30 seconds of whatever surprise happened.

I also noticed no performance degredation, no reduced visuals, nothing while recording. Just Cause 2 records in Standard Def, though other games like TerRover (demo) record in 720p HD. The quality is acceptable for general purposes though if you really want high quality (and ability to record all games in HD, regardless of Youtube Module developer use) you are better off with a capture card.

Sample Video:

Message 6 of 9 (574 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Sep 24, 2011

Okay, so similar API and game creation can be centered around that type of functionality. I actually think a similar feature was discussed (earlier in the year at GDC) relating to recording peoples expressions on Wipout 2048 with the PS Vita front camera (and uploading the recorded clip to youtube)

If the streaming content works like a host, there might be less processing power used since video files are not being compiled in the background of the game. I am not able to comment on hombrew but, some experimenting kind of proves the previously decribed sentence to be true.

What are your thoughts about developers not including stuff like allowing users to upload to YT or streaming their games despite the technnology being there?

Message 7 of 9 (574 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8190 posts

Sep 24, 2011

Wakefulness wrote:

Okay, so similar API and game creation can be centered around that type of functionality. I actually think a similar feature was discussed (earlier in the year at GDC) relating to recording peoples expressions on Wipout 2048 with the PS Vita front camera (and uploading the recorded clip to youtube)

If the streaming content works like a host, there might be less processing power used since video files are not being compiled in the background of the game. I am not able to comment on hombrew but, some experimenting kind of proves the previously decribed sentence to be true.

What are your thoughts about developers not including stuff like allowing users to upload to YT or streaming their games despite the technnology being there?

Broadcasting people's reactions are also on the PS3, now that you mention it. If you had a camera connected to a PS3 playing Burnout Paradise, you get their picture if you smash their car. I've collected a lot of mugshots when I was playing big time on Paradise.

Streaming to something like uStream or Nico Nico Douga in real time still requires video and audio to be compressed somewhat (in real time as well) because the Vita's WiFi and 3G radios cannot send uncompressed video because there is simply too much data to send, about 48+ MB a second. I am thinking they would be broadcasting with something that reduces the quality noticeably, to encode the video just right to send over the user's net connection without problems.

With that, I still hope for a Record Module that saves to the Vita Memory at higher quality.

I think PS3 Youtube Video Recording really, really comes down to the developer having enough leftover resources or patience to pull it off. To be honest, I wouldn't care as much on PS3 because I have this HD-PVR that records game footage for me at excellent quality, which is the reason I still feel a bit bad since I heard the Vita won't have video out.

Message 8 of 9 (574 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Sep 24, 2011

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

Broadcasting people's reactions are also on the PS3, now that you mention it. If you had a camera connected to a PS3 playing Burnout Paradise, you get their picture if you smash their car. I've collected a lot of mugshots when I was playing big time on Paradise.

Streaming to something like uStream or Nico Nico Douga in real time still requires video and audio to be compressed somewhat (in real time as well) because the Vita's WiFi and 3G radios cannot send uncompressed video because there is simply too much data to send, about 48+ MB a second. I am thinking they would be broadcasting with something that reduces the quality noticeably, to encode the video just right to send over the user's net connection without problems.

With that, I still hope for a Record Module that saves to the Vita Memory at higher quality.

I think PS3 Youtube Video Recording really, really comes down to the developer having enough leftover resources or patience to pull it off. To be honest, I wouldn't care as much on PS3 because I have this HD-PVR that records game footage for me at excellent quality, which is the reason I still feel a bit bad since I heard the Vita won't have video out.

A few representatives mentioned Burnout Paradise at the PS Vita GDC panel/keynote. That is likely where Wipeout 2048 got its reaction cam inspiration from and then got implemented.

The PS Vita has Wi-Fi b/g/n so, wireless data should be sent much faster than if it where on the PSP. The 802.11n 20Mhz wireless antenna on the PS Vita transmits 6.5-65Mbps of data. If the video data is being recorded, it would still have to be compiled and compressed but, I was thinking of something different. I am not even sure if it is possible but, it would be a bit like IR blasting or more like USB hosting on Linux API. I am not fermiliar with how the technology works so, I am admitetly guessing. Streaming video seems to be the most understandable way, espececially since Olive (censored brand) uses similar technology to stream SD and HD video from video games. Maybe, the other way could work but, I do not think I have seen anything similar to that.

Do not feel so bad about that video output thing. The multi-use serial port on the current PS Vita could still be compatible with video output in a post launch firmware update. If the mluti-use port can output audio, regular serial data and, transfer data at USB 2.0 speeds, there is a good enough chance an HDMI adaptor and video output streaming software feature will come.

Message 9 of 9 (574 Views)
0 Likes