Fender Bender
2546 posts

Re: Next software update add 5 ghz wifi please!

[ Edited ]
May 24, 2014

The only way someone else is going to be able to use your wifi and the 2.4 frequency is if they have the password to your network. Yes in theory everyone in an apt building could mooch off one wifi signal but unless they know the password to get on the network they they are not going to be using your bandwidth, your wifi or your 2.4 frequency. 

Message 21 of 37 (159 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

May 24, 2014

This reminded me of the iPhone update that made your phone waterproof 

Message 22 of 37 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1905 posts

May 24, 2014
I'm sorry SC-GRAY but you don't understand what I'm talking about. Nobody ever mentioned having other people access your internet via wifi. You are drawing false conclusions on misunderstanding of whats really being discussed.

Figure out what the topic at hand is or stop commenting. You're only going to guide others to the wrong ideas regarding 2.4 vs 5 Ghz.

For everyone else, the PS4 can do 5Ghz if Sony chooses to make the proper update. 5Ghz is a valid option that would improve the internet experience for SOME gamers. We should have the option to choose between 2.4 or 5Ghz so that everyone can find their best fit.
Message 23 of 37 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
714 posts

May 24, 2014

I agree bro. At least someone understands what I am talking about.

Message 24 of 37 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

May 24, 2014

I fully understand what you guys are trying to say but your refuisng to reconize the fact that 5 HGz is not needed b/c it does not peneterate walls in a house better then 2.4 does and you do not get a slower speed with 2.4 as you do compared to 5 bc you are still going to be capped by what your ISP is going to allow. Both frequences will exceed the speeds of what your ISP offers but everyone is capped depending on what their package is. No situation any of you have described for why 5 would be more bennifical then 2.4 is anything that is remotely accurate as far as what really happens. You cant come up with far fetched situations and use it as a reason for why 5 is needed over 2.4

Message 25 of 37 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

[ Edited ]
May 24, 2014

Blockhead_Brown wrote:

It however is populated with more devices. Multiple devices conected to your modem, baby monitors, blue tooth devices, your home phone line, not to mention all the devices in all of your close neighbors (and in an apartment complex, for example, there are a lot of neighbors). You have to share that 2.4Ghz with all of the devices trying to communicate on the same frequency in the immediate vicinity.

^^^^ This is what I am talking about. All of the people in the vacinity or neighborhood such as in an apt complex . Just b/c your neighbor is using a moden / wifi router running of the same 2.4 frequency as you are does not mean its going to interfer with yours b/c it is not on the same network as I tried to explain to you before. The only way someone is going to over load what you are using in your home is if they are in fact on your network .

Just b/c its the same frequency does not mean its being shared by everything else in the area around it, its still tied to your indvidual moden / network you are using. Wifi signals do not have tremendous long ranges and that is why they say not to place your wifi router near a window b/c that lessnes the range where people outside of your home can see it. When you set up a moden / wifi router in your home the only devices connected to it and communicate with it are those who are on your network, someone may be able to see your network if you have your SSID turned on but they are not going to be using the same 2.4 GHz frequency your laptop / PS4 is using unless they have access to your network and are tied into it.

There are things that can interfere with a wifi signal but unless you have 2 wifi routers that are really close to eachohter then your not going to have any issues. I pick up peoples wifi signal all the time but that does not mean it is interfering with mine or using my 2.4 GHz frequency. Worst case situation is that your neighbors router is to close to yours and it can cause interference but they are not going to be using "YOUR 2.4 GHZ FREQUENCY" and you may have to move it but this is only in cases of houses very close to gether who have their routers most likey near windows.

Message 26 of 37 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3071 posts

R e: Next software update add 5 ghz wifi please!

[ Edited ]
May 24, 2014

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

Blockhead_Brown wrote:

It however is populated with more devices. Multiple devices conected to your modem, baby monitors, blue tooth devices, your home phone line, not to mention all the devices in all of your close neighbors (and in an apartment complex, for example, there are a lot of neighbors). You have to share that 2.4Ghz with all of the devices trying to communicate on the same frequency in the immediate vicinity.

^^^^ This is what I am talking about. All of the people in the vacinity or neighborhood such as in an apt complex . Just b/c your neighbor is using a moden / wifi router running of the same 2.4 frequency as you are does not mean its going to interfer with yours b/c it is not on the same network as I tried to explain to you before. The only way someone is going to over load what you are using in your home is if they are in fact on your network .

Just b/c its the same frequency does not mean its being shared by everything else in the area around it, its still tied to your indvidual moden / network you are using. Wifi signals do not have tremendous long ranges and that is why they say not to place your wifi router near a window b/c that lessnes the range where people outside of your home can see it. When you set up a moden / wifi router in your home the only devices connected to it and communicate with it are those who are on your network, someone may be able to see your network if you have your SSID turned on but they are not going to be using the same 2.4 GHz frequency your laptop / PS4 is using unless they have access to your network and are tied into it.

There are things that can interfere with a wifi signal but unless you have 2 wifi routers that are really close to eachohter then your not going to have any issues. I pick up peoples wifi signal all the time but that does not mean it is interfering with mine or using my 2.4 GHz frequency. Worst case situation is that your neighbors router is to close to yours and it can cause interference but they are not going to be using "YOUR 2.4 GHZ FREQUENCY" and you may have to move it but this is only in cases of houses very close to gether who have their routers most likey near windows.

You don't seem to understand how radio works. The EMR waves aren't contained, certainly not to your network. You do not have your own personal 2.4GHz frequency. Like air, it's shared. When too many people are talking at once within the same range, you'll have trouble clearly picking up on what one person is saying. Get the picture?

Bring MAG to PS4!
Message 27 of 37 (110 Views)
Wastelander
834 posts

May 24, 2014
Just get a bridge .. I have a WUMC710 with both PS3 and PS4 connected to it with Wireless AC speeds and it's located outside of my media cabinet

320 Gig PS3 Slim Move Bundle CECH-2501B w/ 240gb Intel 335 SSD
500 Gig PS4 Launch Model CUH-1001A w/ 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Vita Slim PCH-2000 w/ 8 gig card
Message 28 of 37 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Re: R e: Next software update add 5 ghz wifi please!

[ Edited ]
May 24, 2014

TheLastNinja- wrote:

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

Blockhead_Brown wrote:

You don't seem to understand how radio works. The EMR waves aren't contained, certainly not to your network. You do not have your own personal 2.4GHz frequency. Like air, it's shared. When too many people are talking at once within the same range, you'll have trouble clearly picking up on what one person is saying. Get the picture?

Yes I know that that is what I am trying to tell them and they are not getting it. They seem to think someone else can use your 2.4 GHz frequency b/c they are in the same vicinity as you are, they cant "use" it  unless they were on your network then they are using your wifi router / modem. But you can certainly get interference from other objects or other routers. Maybe thats is what they mean by "clogging up your frequency" but they are doing a not so good job at convaying what theymean or using the right termonlogy.

The whole and valid point I'm trying to make is that 5 GHz is not needed for the PS4, the 2.4 GHz frequency is more then adaquate for what the system is and what it is used for. If this was a huge issue we would see tons of threads of people having issues with the wifi on the system being caused b/c its running off 2.4 and not 5 Ghz, yet we see none of those just a bunch of un founded "what if" situations. 

Message 29 of 37 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11604 posts

May 24, 2014
Um, this would require a hardware change.. Which would only be possible in a hardware remodel of the ps4
>

Message 30 of 37 (93 Views)
0 Likes