Just like Vita? lol.

Message 32 of 39 (280 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
84 posts

Re: Next Big PS4 Update

[ Edited ]
Feb 26, 2014

By the end of the year I expect 1) YouTube app 2) DLNA and 3) MP3. Mostly because Sony more or less promised those things. Along the way we'll probably see improved headset compatibility too, on top of your obvious bug fixes.

What I'd really like to see, but doubt it'll ever happen, is the ability to view photos and play videos (.avi/.mp4 etc) from USB drive

If they enable MP3 playback from USB then I can see them adding support for photos too. But I doubt we'll ever see video playback because that's their way of cutting down on piracy and encouraging you to buy movies and TV shows from the Playstation Store.

Another big update, that I think is totally plausible but might not happen for another year or so, is UI themes. We might not see a huge overhaul like the 360 did or anything like that and I doubt we'll be able to set our own backgrounds or anything like the PS3. But I can easily see them allowing you to download basic themes--like ones that change the color (from the current blue to red and black for example) and different icon sets. That would be something they might consider adding later on in the console's life cycle if they get enough people asking for it and they want to rebrand a little.

Does PS4 not currently support bluetooth? I ask that because the PS Gold Wireless set uses a USB for wireless connection. I suppose they'll enable bluetooth later on as well.

It seems like the Playstation Camera is selling unexpectedly well. I doubt they'll ever invest in it as much as Microsoft is the Kinect, but if the Camera keeps selling then I can see them adding more voice commands to navigate the UI and stuff like that.

Other updates might have to do with adding more things you can do with the PS Vita and making existing functionalities better.

Is the PS4 currently not a 3D Blu-Ray player? They'll surely add 3D down the line if that's the case. PS3 is 3D and Sony is pretty heavily invested in the whole 3D thing. That's only a matter of time.

Other small changes over the course of the system's lifespan will involve revamped UIs for apps like Hulu and Netflix--Hulu needs an overhaul badly.

Another long-term potential update--if Microsoft evere loses the exclusive license with NFL then we might see NFL apps on Playstation as well. This applies to any kind of video app or whatever that's currently tied up in licenses that Sony may or may not express interest in later on.

I don't know much about the whole 4K thing, but perhaps in the next 5 years or so they will enable 4K support for video and stuff? Unfortunatley 4K gaming will probably have to wait for like, Playstation 5 huh?

MAYBE they will enable backwards compatibility with PS1 games down the line. The system is obviously powerful enough to emulate PS1 with software alone so that shouldn't be an issue. Sony doesn't seem to care about backwards compatibility anymore so even that is a longshot. While we're at it PS2 compatibility can easily be done too. But that's unlikely to happen since they're still making money on HD remakes of games and stuff.

That's about all I can think of.

Message 33 of 39 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3550 posts

Feb 26, 2014

I won't need an update as long as I can play new Metal gear solid next month....

guitar guru 2012
Message 34 of 39 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
203 posts

Feb 26, 2014

I just hope atleast one big update comes soon. One that fixes all the annoying bugs and adds a great feature. Soon! lol.

Message 35 of 39 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
451 posts

Feb 26, 2014

Sony  to stop blocking or hindering Bluetooth devices like headsets ...Allow other bluetooth other than Sony devices! This is not rocket science and Sony needs to stop being so greedy about this IMO.

Hey! I am Canadian, I am sorry if you've offended me.
Message 36 of 39 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
203 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 28, 2014

Nomadd006 wrote:

Sony  to stop blocking or hindering Bluetooth devices like headsets ...Allow other bluetooth other than Sony devices! This is not rocket science and Sony needs to stop being so greedy about this IMO.

Who knows wth they're doing :/

Message 37 of 39 (235 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Feb 27, 2014

The last few were some great wish lists - here is mine.

DNLA/MP3/MP4/USB support

Pandora  (To compete with Sony's music service?  Dream on.)

Twitch  (full app, not just PS4 streams)

Youtube

And an option to dim the controller light - it's toasting my nether region.

Message 38 of 39 (200 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
203 posts

Feb 28, 2014

I want Skype and Youtube the most, I don't see Pandora happening lol.

Message 39 of 39 (175 Views)
0 Likes