Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 29 2013
By: marcstillgames First Son 6 posts

New slim ps3 is loud!

[ Edited ]
6 replies 137 views Edited Jan 29, 2013

Just got Black Ops 2 on my new top loading slim ps3 and oh my is this thing loud. Any tips on how to make it not spin 24/7 it seriously is driving me crazy, I can't concentrate on the game. Is the game installable, is there anything I can do?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (137 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29040 posts

Re: New slim ps3 is loud!

Jan 29, 2013

marcstillgames wrote:

Just got Black Ops 2 on my new top loading slim ps3 and oh my is this thing loud. Any tips on how to make it not spin 24/7 it seriously is driving me crazy, I can't concentrate on the game. Is the game installable, is there anything I can do?

You mean the disc-drive is noisy?

A disc game isn't installable no, only a digital game can be fully installed on the HDD.

There's not realky much you can do, if you think it's abnormally noisy then return it for a refund/replacement.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Jan 29, 2013

seems to be a common complaint with the new super slims but theres an easy fix for it...turn up the volume..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (130 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29040 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 29, 2013

Some have also said having it up-ended on it's side helps too, makes the disc-tray slide a lot better & cooler as well!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (127 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15440 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Its cold outside.... open a window.

The noise you're hearing is the fan. the angle of the fan blades makes the PS3 have a high pitched whine to it when it gets above a certain temperature... the fan itself isn't at full speed, but the pitch of it makes it seem loud.

Its also common for fast action games, for the Super Slim to have such noise because  A LOT of stuff is going on and the PS3 has to process all of it and such and that means its works harder, which means its gets a little warmer.

Its a trade off, and nothing you should really worry about. 

The cooler you can get your room to be, the cooler the PS3 is going to run. Its something like 65*F right now here in Florida.... ALL of my windows are open in my house. And man does it feel GREAT. 
My Super Slim is very happy as well since its SILENT. The only thing I hear is when the BD-ROM drive spins up the disc, and thats only because I got really close to it

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (123 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29040 posts

Jan 29, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Its cold outside.... open a window.

The noise you're hearing is the fan. the angle of the fan blades makes the PS3 have a high pitched whine to it when it gets above a certain temperature... the fan itself isn't at full speed, but the pitch of it makes it seem loud.

Its also common for fast action games, for the Super Slim to have such noise because  A LOT of stuff is going on and the PS3 has to process all of it and such and that means its works harder, which means its gets a little warmer.

Its a trade off, and nothing you should really worry about. 

The cooler you can get your room to be, the cooler the PS3 is going to run. Its something like 65*F right now here in Florida.... ALL of my windows are open in my house. And man does it feel GREAT. 
My Super Slim is very happy as well since its SILENT. The only thing I hear is when the BD-ROM drive spins up the disc, and thats only because I got really close to it

Mine are open too, its beautiful isn't it!

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (121 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 29, 2013

I'm sorry it is not an overheating issue it is the disc drive. It is tremenously loud. I'd love to take it back and swap it out for a regular slim but it came with software which I have opened. it is truly a terrible design. So distracting. I honestly don't know how it made it through QA. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (91 Views)
0 Likes