Dec 29 2012
By: DragonIrons Fender Bender 2905 posts
Accepted Solution

New question (i think) about backing up the PS3

4 replies 102 views Edited Dec 29, 2012

Ok I searched but didnt' see this mentioned. I'm going to replace my 320 gig HD with a 750 seagate 7200 rpm with 16 MB cache.  Now I have a external 250 gig HD that I can use to backup the 320 (only half of the 320 is being used so far).  HOWEVER, I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a ~750 gig external JUST to backup the PS3 one day once the drive is swapped to a 750.  Here's the deal..... I'm also going to get a WD 2TB external to store all my movies and tv shows on one drive. So far with what I have it'll only fill up about 600 gigs so I'll have a TB free at least on that.

Here's the question, can I backup the PS3 to a external drive that already has things on it (as in movies)? I'm wondering if it makes a folder like "PS3" (same as you make on a flash drive to store save games), and when restoring only reads from that folder?

Message 1 of 5 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8196 posts

Re: New question (i think) about backing up the PS3

[ Edited ]
Dec 29, 2012

DragonIrons wrote:

Here's the question, can I backup the PS3 to a external drive that already has things on it (as in movies)? I'm wondering if it makes a folder like "PS3" (same as you make on a flash drive to store save games), and when restoring only reads from that folder?

Yes, I do the exact same thing. I backup to my 2TB Western Digital. It doesn't touch anything out of the PS3 folder.

However, the drive has to be formatted to FAT32 otherwise the PS3 won't recognize it, because Microsoft owns the NTFS standard used to format external hard drives these days.

To format big 2TB drives to PS3-friendly FAT32, I think I used Paragon Partition Manager, which is free.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/

Message 2 of 5 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2905 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 29, 2012

cool thanks, also I just checked my WD Passport 250 gig external.... and this had kinda come up in another thread a couple weeks ago and I checked all my flash drives then. They're already formatted to FAT32 at the factory.  A centon and a PNY flash drive, and two WD external passport like drives. All FAT32. So that 2 TB external from WD (the black one) should be FAT32 as well.... wont have to worry about it. But I've bookmarked this just in case lol....

In fact the ONLY drives that're formatted under NTFS are the ACTUAL internal hard drives in my PC and laptop.

Message 3 of 5 (87 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11160 posts

Dec 30, 2012

Typically, your backup drive should never need to be as large as your PS3 drive...  the backup data is compressed to a little better than half of its original size.

I had a nearly full 160GB HDD when I upgraded to 500GB, and it fit on an 80GB external HDD when I did the backup.

Message 4 of 5 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2905 posts

Dec 30, 2012

Oh that's good to know too, never seen anyone be that specific about backup sizes before. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 5 (62 Views)
0 Likes