Feb 25 2013
By: Fiv3Score First Son 21 posts

New Vita Owner Questions

[ Edited ]
11 replies 235 views Edited Feb 25, 2013

Hey everyone, just got my PSVita yesterday and have been enjoying the pre-loaded apps and demos so far! SO much nicer than the 3DS XL I exchanged it with (they were the same price, so I figured why not?). This is my second playstation console; I sold my silver PSP about 4 years ago and have really missed it. 

So I have a few questions about games and functions:

1. I bought the 8GB memory card for it (Wow is it expensive @ $30!). I read somewhere that this size was recommended for Phantasy Star Online 2 (a game I'm hoping comes to north america in the future). Is this card big enough for regular use? In addition to PSO2, I intend on downloading a few PSP games (Patapon series, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite) and some music (maybe a couple albums at most). If I buy any other games, they will probably be physical copies and not downloaded from the psn store.

2. Are we able to re-download games that we have already purchased? Let's say I delete a couple games for some extra space, and I want to play them again.. will I have to buy it again? Also, can we store these downloads on a PC or PS3 (I'm thinking of getting one soon). 

3. Is online play free? I really haven't played console games online before.. but I know xbox has fees because my friend told me so.

4. Are there people who still play Monster Hunter games through Ad-Hoc on the PS3? I basically bought the 3DS XL for monster hunter, but could not bring myself to appreciate the system it was on. Even after trying out the demo for the upcoming MH3U.. I prefer the game on a playstation due to the controls and the placement of the analog sticks. And a 3DS XL with the added Circle Pad Pro XL would be too bulky, and ugly to ever bring outside. No offence intended, but I much prefer Sony.

5. How does "Near" work? And what is it used for? Is it the same as Nintendo's StreetPass?

6. How durable are the dual analog sticks? They seem a little fragile to me coming from the 3DS circle pad. I didn't have any problems with the slider on my PSP, but it did tend to stick every once in a while. Are these analog sticks better in terms of control? I'm still getting used to them.. After trying out the Wipeout demo, I thought they felt a little 'loose'. I didn't feel very 'in control', so I tried using the d-pad as well.

7. Should I buy screen protector(s)? I heard Sony used plastic so it doesn't crack. And does the back touch surface need a protector too? I don't think I bought a screen protector for my PSP, but I am very careful with my electronics in general.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Message 1 of 12 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Re: New Vita Owner Questions

Feb 25, 2013

Congrats on your purchase! You made the right decision, IMHO.

1. 8GB will be enough for normal use (Full disclosure, I have a 16GB). You'll be able to fit quite a few games, even AAA ones. I don't know about PSO2...it's a game I'm looking forward to as well, but didn't hear anything about it requring 8GB of free space. That seems a bit ridiculous. Even though it's an MMO, I'm pretty sure Sony caps physical Vita games at 4GB...maybe there's no cap on digital-only, but still, 8GB? Ouch.

2. Absolutely! Which is why the whole memory-cards-are-overpriced issue is a bit overblown. Like I said above, you'll be fine with just the 8GB. If you have a slow download speed and/or your ISP caps you, you can always back stuff up to your PC.

3. Online is completely free for new games (one of the benefits of Sony over MS). However, if you buy used, then many games require you to buy an "Online Pass" for $10 or so.

4. Never played MH, so can't answer this.

5. Not familiar with SpotPass. I don't really use Near, but I've heard it's pretty cool. I'll let someone else who has used it speak to it.

6. Well I personally worry about the longevity of the whole device...not just the analog sticks, but the buttons too. But so far after three months I've had no issues. Many people have had Vitas since launch though.

7. I currently do not use a screen protector. I've been wavering off and on whether to get one. I do use a case though and would definitely recommend one (I got the PDP Crystal). And yes, they do make screen protectors for the back as well.

Message 2 of 12 (221 Views)
MVP Support
13558 posts

Feb 25, 2013

1. You should still be okay. Just don't download too many PSP games.

2. Yes. And yes.

3. Yes.

4. Wouldn't know, I haven't tried in months.

5. It's more like Streetpass than Spotpass. It basically keeps track of other players around you, tracks your steps, and in some games you can exchange Game Goods (like in Ragnarok Odyssey, you can send people Weapons and Cards)

6. They're durable, but they take getting used to. The "loose" feeling you're just gonna have to get used to. Especially if you play FPS games. It's a bit awkward.

7. If you feel like it, go for it. Not the back protector.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 12 (218 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 25, 2013
  • As far as PSO 2 goes, the PC updates alone for that game range to 4GB, they will probably compress the Vita version but I would still imagine it will take probably close to 4GB and that is not including any updates that could come to it, not sure how they will exactly do that for PSO 2 on the Vita.. As for other stuff you should be fine on space, if you don't plan on downloading any PS Vita games really. If you do plan on it though I would recommend at least the 16GB.
  • Yes you can, when you purchase something it can then be re-downloaded at any time through your download list which can be found in the Playstation Vita Store. If you happen to need more space, you can delete things just make sure to back up your save files to something in order to use them again in case you download that game again.
  • Yes it is completely free to play, Playstation games online other than paying for your own interent. It isn't like Xbox or require you to pay for a subscription in order to play games online. There are these things called Online Passes though, some games require them but they come with them for free if you buy them new, you can also purchase the pass in the store for a used game that didn't come with one but somtimes buying a used game + Online Pass is cheaper than buying a new one still. This is only for some games, not all PS Vita games need an online pass or Playstation games but be aware of them and if you plan on buying used games try to check if they need one or not, just so you know if you will need to buy one through the store or it would just be better to buy the game brand new that comes with the pass for free.
  • I honestly can't answer that about Monster Hunter, maybe someone who is more familiar with the game and using Ad-hoc with it can tell you.
  • Well they are smaller and probably more fragile than a PS3 dual shock controller which you can easily replace, any of the buttons or analog sticks break on the Vita you are screwed so just try to keep that in mind that it isn't a controller you can buttom smash, just use it with care, not saying you have to be timid with everything you play but you get my point. Also the radius on the Vita analog sticks are smaller than most normal controls and probably not even comparable to the 3DS or PSP's, so you have to get used to using less force than one is probably normally used to using. You will get the hang of it, it will take a little time to get the feel but I know the PSP I had to press a lot hard with my thumbs, same with 3DS, the PS Vita sticks are very sensitive and have a tight radius that takes a little time getting a feel for. Keep playing Wipeout2048 and you will master those little puppies.
  • Not even sure if they make back screen protectors but as far as the front ones go, if you have a history of scratching screens, knowing there is a chance you could be out somewhere and maybe your Vita might drop or so on, it doesn't hurt to buy a screen protector. Me personally I don't need them but that is just me.

Lastly enjoy your new PS Vita and welcome to these forums. If you have any further questions or future problems don't hesistate to

ask.

Message 4 of 12 (216 Views)
First Son
21 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 25, 2013

5. It's more like Streetpass than Spotpass. 

Ah yes, I meant StreetPass! It looks like Near is different as it requires a wifi connection. It's a nice feature nonetheless, being able to see all the psvita owners living around me. I've got 7 in my neighbourhood alone!! pretty cool

Oh for those interested about PSO2, I read it here: http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-vita-launch-faq/ Looks like it will be ~3gb with ~1gb update so he recommended a 8gb card at least. I'm really excited about this game.

Thank you all for the welcome, and the replies! most appreicated Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12 (201 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

Feb 25, 2013

Fiv3Score wrote:

Ah yes, I meant StreetPass! It looks like Near is different as it requires a wifi connection. It's a nice feature nonetheless, being able to see all the psvita owners living around me. I've got 7 in my neighbourhood alone!! pretty cool

Oh for those interested about PSO2, I read it here: http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-vita-launch-faq/ Looks like it will be ~3gb with ~1gb update so he recommended a 8gb card at least. I'm really excited about this game.

Interesting good to know but like I said you are going to be pushing it close with 8GB with PSO 2.

"At launch, the Vita version is approximately 3.2GBs. In addition, you will also have to download a 1.2 GB update. In anticipation of future updates, Sakai recommends purchasing an 8GB or higher memory card if you are planning to download the entire game. If you purchase the special package version, you can choose to play with the 4GB memory card, but this is not recommended."

I guess if you just stick with the special package version with updates you'll be ok but no way I am.. I want the full experience. That is kind of neat I must say, that they thought about people with 4GB cards as well. Now only if there was some actually new info on it ever coming to NA... Wah..

Message 6 of 12 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Feb 25, 2013

Fiv3Score wrote:

If the 16gb card ever goes on sale, I'll think about upgrading. Yeah, it was either buy a 8gb card or a 4gb card + game. I chose the bigger card just in case.. 

Ah, okay, so that makes sense then. Under 4GB for the base game, as I figured, but they're anticipating future content updates, which makes sense for an MMO, especially if it's a successful one.

Message 7 of 12 (187 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 25, 2013

Well if the 16gb card ever goes on sale, I'll definitely think about upgrading. Yeah, it was either buy a 8gb card or a 4gb card + game. I chose the bigger card just in case.. 

I went crazy with the demos and my memory card is already filled up! haha 

Boo.. I must delete some now

Message 8 of 12 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
368 posts

Feb 27, 2013

My comment is you should get the 32GB card. Yes it stings but you'll likely outgrow that 8GB next month.

Message 9 of 12 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 27, 2013

http://www.urefer.com/accept_consumer.php?oid=1831 get your $20 free bucks before the 28th. than you can use it for Phantasy Star Online 2. Enjoy the vita is awesome. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12 (111 Views)
0 Likes