Treasure Hunter
6939 posts

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

[ Edited ]
Jan 5, 2013

ECrispy77 wrote:
Game developers are wrong. What gives them the right to demand revenue from a 2nd sale?

They make a product and sell it, and get whatever price they want to charge for it. After that, they have no business expecting further moneys from it.

Expecting a 2nd hand product to still somehow generate revenue is pure greed! They always blame piracy but its pure and simple money grab.

well it really ment for gamestop r amazon selling the game back for used  55 after they buy it from  the seller   for 5$.  The  dev and publisher lose  profits.  Every  time it changes hands.  they already have online  pass. and some gamers are  paying to use online . 

Its a real  hopeless case with no good answers. Me personaly i cannt wonder(fathom) why they allow games stop or whome even  do  online passes and dlc  fromt heir stores.. why not   keep that  for online only ms  & sony etc)..  I dont  how the devs and all  can even say pay us more  when they do that. Its senseless. 

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 71 of 152 (999 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Jan 5, 2013

I understand that companies patent stuff all the time and a patent doesn't equate to implementation. It's an idea and Sony filed to legal protection on this idea.

That said, if Sony or any other game console manufacturer does implement technology that blocks me from being able to play used games or a friends game then I will in all liklihood not purchase that console. 

Console manufacturers can steer their product anyway they like and obviously in the direction that is most benificial to their bottomline. As a consumer I can opt not to support the direction of a console manufacturer by not purchasing their product. It's really as simple as that. 

Message 72 of 152 (999 Views)
Lombax Warrior
219 posts

Jan 5, 2013

they dont care if you dont buy their console , because people that buy used games probably buy used consoles and again they make no money on that.

i don't have a pc i use ps3 browser
Message 73 of 152 (988 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 5, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

DragonIrons wrote:

lol werent' they 800 bucks a pop at launch? And yes they were flying off shelves, of course people were getting more then one to sell them for over 1000 a pop on Ebay to some bigger idiot who didn't wait to see if it had problems.

well i paid  800 for mines, mind  you.   it was hard to get in nyc man night  one man..  . I dont   think you calling people idiots becuase  they did,  serve a purpose in the debate.  alot   of things you  pay  for  everyday  are priced  over  the limit of worth ,that  doesnt make you a idiot or does by own standard.? of course these are your rules nd your opinion  but igues you dont  own up to that ..  lol

. If its hard to get you  will pay  what  they  dam  heck they are charging if there is  its  a shortage.. i dont regret it , it was money well spent.. nothing will beat the feeling of getting a ps3 on launch day when other where  fighting  for it and  came home  empty handed. There where folks   who flew from california   and canada to nyc to get a ps3 launch  and  went back home with nothing..   cried. fougth  and spit  some even went to  jail that night all for  a ps3.  To know you got  ultmiate prize night one is  hell of a feeling.

You  would nver understand  that.   

Those would be the hardcore gamers and resellers that I spoke of. And as I said  before lanuch day sales are never indictive of long term success for a console as the rate of sales must be steady. WE saw with the PS3 for the first few weeks flying off the shelves becuase of these two groups. However; when these two groups had got thier consoles then PS3's started to sit on store selves hindered by the high price of admission; lack of games to justify said price;  and the fact that a alternative console sat at over 200 bucks cheaper. And as we all know because of this fact the PS3 in just 3 short years canabilized the profits made by sonys most successful console the PS2.

my console was factory new.  For the rest of  what  you  stated thats  your opinion and it granted for you. I cannot commentt on that much. But   my console was new not a resell.. Factory  new.  got it. good  Smiley Happy  thank you .

What are you talking about? Maybe you should of been paying attention in English class to brush up on your reading comprehension skills rather than waiting to buy a PS3. I never said all consoles from the PS3 launch were resells and stated that the hardcore gamer bought these consoles to not resale them as well. Which is why I described both markets. PS3's didn't move after the intial expected open day sales rush and is why the PS3 struggled during the first half of this gen; until the prices came down and better games were made.

Message 74 of 152 (985 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 5, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

FROST_420 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

That's exactly what I'm considering. I can wait 2 or 3 years for the bugs to be worked out anyway, so skipping the next gen completely may be exactly what I end up doing. The importance of these consoles is getting blown way out of proportion and not by the consumer. Can you imagine going to buy a used car and having an extra 20% added to the price for the manufacturer just because they see money and want it? What people are missing here is that I'm not buying a used car for 20k and the manufacturer is not getting any simply because they are not involved in this transaction. It is obvious that the first buyer has only paid a portion and I'm paying the rest so the manufacturer is getting my money still. We are not all rich and therefore cannot all afford the same things this is called "classes" and is part of what makes up this great society we live in. How do they think this will translate into more money? If anything it will mean less money being spent on this pastime and I speak for myself and my kids who I still buy things for.

Ugh, here we go again. Everytime "gamers" bring up cars and an analogy they only prove ONE and only ONE thing; They don't know SQUAT about cars! The reason they don't have a surcharge on cars is because a manufacturer still makes money on a car LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG after it leaves the factory and the showroom. It's called PARTS AND SERVICE. Or do you actually believe that a car never needs brakes, shocks, struts, O2 sensors, oil changes, calipers, brake master cylinders, air filters, or any number of the THOUSANDS of parts that can break down on a car over time?

Also many manufacturers offer what's called "Factory Re-Certified Cars", where a car is taken in as a trade, inspected, and then certified for resale. Dealers have to pay into this system, so yes a manufacturer does make money (and A LOT of it at that) on a used car. Don't believe me?

BMW of North American Certified Pre-Owned Program

Attention Gamers; stop using the "car analogy". You're not helping your case when you do.

I would venture to say that most used cars on the roads don't have a parts and services guarentee; rather the parts used to fix them come from local auto yards. IN this case the manufacter doesn't see a cent when if comes to fixing or repairing cars.

Message 75 of 152 (985 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 5, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

The assumption your makng is that I said only steam games.  Farcary 3 was avaible for 30 bucks on steam recently; doesn't sound like a 5 year old game to me. The pricing stricture of these online sales far outweigh the benefits of buying used. In this scernio I wouldn;t mind buying new due to the fact that the cost would be reasonable to me if the game doesn't meet my expectations. Also it is known that PC gamers are quick to revolt if they feel things aren't going thier way mostly due to the lack of a console war in which fanboys would blindly support and better yet defend these "practices" from the corporate big wigs. I brought up the War Z example; as a prime case of this.

PC gamers also have to deal with the constant hardware upgrades, downloading drivers, and installing new video cards, and there's still no guaruntee that they can even play the latest and greatest game.

And you claim we "blindly support and better yet defend these" practices from the corporate big wigs".  Well the last time I looked PC gamers are playing on machines that run MICROSOFT WINDOWS, and platform that was built on establishing an monopoly by squashing competition through predatory business practices, and stifling competition.

You throw out all of this anti-corporate speech, yet you support Valve. Gabe Newell is one of BIGGEST (in stature and in his physical size) corporate "big wig" in the entire INDUSTRY. And he got there because you actually bought his bill of goods that he sold that he's some how doing your a favor by forcing your to install Steam, making developers use Steamworks there by forcing them to sell games on Steam, and preventing other sources like Direct2Drive and Origin from selling any games that use the Steamworks "platform". By your own words, you should absolutely despise him. Yet, he's seen as the "benevolent dictator", because for some reason this is "different" because he's not Sony. Funny how that works out.

The day Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah says to the chamber "that is the defintion of a monopoly" regarding a Sony video game console, come talk to me.

Never said that PC gaming was easier or more assceiable than console gaming; so lets stay on topic. A computers OS also has no impact on pricing in terms of games so I'm not to sure why you would bring that up. I also never said about the corporate dealings behind steam but that steam offers value to the gamer because of thier pricing structure which is the only thing your general consumer cares about anyway. I'm also not to sure of what to make about your sony defence rant as it's off target from what this conversation was about in the first place which is how this patent will affect the consumers wallet.

Message 76 of 152 (982 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Jan 5, 2013

mainkster wrote:

they dont care if you dont buy their console , because people that buy used games probably buy used consoles and again they make no money on that.

Not true. At least in my case and I doubt you or anyone on the forum has solid information and data to back up that theory.

I've purchased 2 brand new PS3 consoles and a plethora of new games. The rare time I buy used it's for games that are not available new or hard to find. I do borrow/lend games with my friends. Losing either option would mean that I wouldn't be purchasing that particular console.

Message 77 of 152 (982 Views)
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 5, 2013

mainkster wrote:

Most people never buy thier consoles used due to the belief that used electronics could be defective. This is even more so with video game consoles whoch are played daily and for hours on end. And yes Sony does care; the hardcore gamer isn't enough to keep these companies afloat the people that are going to be **bleep** are the casuel and middling gamer whose dollars are currently the lifeblood of this industry.

Message 78 of 152 (978 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18895 posts

Jan 5, 2013

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

I understand that companies patent stuff all the time and a patent doesn't equate to implementation. It's an idea and Sony filed to legal protection on this idea.

That said, if Sony or any other game console manufacturer does implement technology that blocks me from being able to play used games or a friends game then I will in all liklihood not purchase that console. 

Console manufacturers can steer their product anyway they like and obviously in the direction that is most benificial to their bottomline. As a consumer I can opt not to support the direction of a console manufacturer by not purchasing their product. It's really as simple as that. 

Exactly, it is a simple as that.

For me it will be a dusking era to see such/similar technology be fully implemented. I'm from the NES era but I was first introduced to gaming via a  Atari 2600. Going over a friend's house to play video games, bringing over a game or vice versa,  has been part of my gaming experience throughout the years. Pacman, Metal Gear, Contra, Double Dragon, Karate... [The memories] After that it's the fact that you don't truly own the digital content you buy, so seeing this model making its way to tangible copies just brings more darkness to the already dusking era.

Throughout the years I've come to like & respect SONY for what they've brought forward to the gaming industry, hardware & software wise. Sure they have screwed us before, but they have make up for their mistakes or at least try to. To me, they are the best choice in the console-base gaming model.

At the end SONY is a board of directors & a pack of lawyers; it is theirs and they can do as they see fit.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 79 of 152 (973 Views)
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 5, 2013

The PS2 sold 150 million consoles by the time gen 7 hit; the gamecube and xbox 1 sold 45 million console combined. Sony dominated the 6th gen and the ps1 was legendary during the 5th. fast foward today and the postions have been swapped in under 6 years. What you are not seeing is that Microsoft and nintendo as console makers were "dead in the water" becuase of the blasting sony put on them. In that time Microsoft has become a legitimate player on the console scene and nintendo became a household name with the Wii. The PS3 meanwhile was eating the profits of the sony games division alive for a good 3-4 years. The only gaming division that experinced a downturn was sony you can't explain numbers away and the facts are what they are. And I myself am saying this as a sony fan.

Message 80 of 152 (970 Views)
0 Likes