Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 10/25/2007
Offline
1759 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

 

There already doing it. Its called the PLAYSTATION STORE. Everything you buy there or rent is linked to your account.

 

I'll bet by the middle 2014 there won't be disc based games anymore.

Message 61 of 152 (119 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 10/17/2012
Offline
9 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

Games will eventually incur a capitalistic tax, somewhat like vehicle tax. The original buyer pays the tax, title and tag fees on a new vehicle. He/she sells it and the new owner pays the tax, title and tag fees again, only at a depreciated amount based on the vehicle's condition. Nonetheless, all the different owners of the same vehicle will be required to pay the TTT, no matter how many times the ownership changes.

 

Is it capatalism? Yes, because it gains transaction tax revenue, not necessarily product tax revenue.

 

Is it fair? In my opinion, no, it is not fair. It's not fair because the creator sold individual products to individual customers. The creator handed over ownership upon original sale and, therefor, has no additional revenue owed to it. The only thig the creator keeps is the bragging rights of being creator. (At least that's how it should be).

Message 62 of 152 (119 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 04/27/2009
Offline
5 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

These are my thoughts on this matter and I think that every PS3 owner needs to have their voice to be heard on this matter because if this goes thru, Sony just lost a reliable consumer. I have also made a note on this matter as well by going into detail on what more to say. We gamers need to put our petty differences aside and come together on this and prevent this from happening. 

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHYTOGq0fC8&feature=youtu.be

Message 63 of 152 (108 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/17/2011
Offline
85 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

DragonIrons wrote:

lol werent' they 800 bucks a pop at launch? And yes they were flying off shelves, of course people were getting more then one to sell them for over 1000 a pop on Ebay to some bigger idiot who didn't wait to see if it had problems.


 well i paid  800 for mines, mind  you.   it was hard to get in nyc man night  one man..  . I dont   think you calling people idiots becuase  they did,  serve a purpose in the debate.  alot   of things you  pay  for  everyday  are priced  over  the limit of worth ,that  doesnt make you a idiot or does by own standard.? of course these are your rules nd your opinion  but igues you dont  own up to that ..  lol

 

. If its hard to get you  will pay  what  they  dam  heck they are charging if there is  its  a shortage.. i dont regret it , it was money well spent.. nothing will beat the feeling of getting a ps3 on launch day when other where  fighting  for it and  came home  empty handed. There where folks   who flew from california   and canada to nyc to get a ps3 launch  and  went back home with nothing..   cried. fougth  and spit  some even went to  jail that night all for  a ps3.  To know you got  ultmiate prize night one is  hell of a feeling.

 

 You  would nver understand  that.   


Those would be the hardcore gamers and resellers that I spoke of. And as I said  before lanuch day sales are never indictive of long term success for a console as the rate of sales must be steady. WE saw with the PS3 for the first few weeks flying off the shelves becuase of these two groups. However; when these two groups had got thier consoles then PS3's started to sit on store selves hindered by the high price of admission; lack of games to justify said price;  and the fact that a alternative console sat at over 200 bucks cheaper. And as we all know because of this fact the PS3 in just 3 short years canabilized the profits made by sonys most successful console the PS2.

Message 64 of 152 (103 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16918 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

 

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

 

 


What would stop Microsoft from pulling a full 360 (no pun intended) and not implementing this type of system in the xbox 720?  They would have another tagline beside " Better with Kinect" that will say " By the way the 720 allows you to play used games". Microsoft has already made big gains this gen due to mismangement by sony in terms of pricing. I doubt they would risk everything by following sony down the rabbit hole so to speak. This move if done will be a PR nightmare for sony and may see them go the way of sega and other console makers which were at one time thought untouchable.


Mismanagement in terms of pricing?

 

DId you also know that the 360, FROM LAUNCH, made profit? 
Did you also know that the PS3 is sold at a loss and Sony makes up for that in sales from games and accessories?

 

 


Right because PS3's were flying off the self at 600 bucks a pop. The PS3 ate up all the profits from Sony's most successful console the PS2. Thier credit rating is in the Junk status as well. Are you denying the microsoft and Nintendo made massive gains this gen in spite of the 6th gen dominantion that the PS2 enjoyed? Console gamers will go where they priceve value to be the greatest and this is reflected by most in terms of upfront pricing we saw this with the ps3 at the start where many ps2 buyers converted to buying the 360 for thier next gen needs. You would see that too if you took off the sony colored glasses.

 


 LOl  ..  you  know  when  ps3 lauched more people/stores  got robbed  for it than any other console so it really was flying off the shelf. 

 

  I dont why your  so angry with  sony did they take the jelly out your donut or something?


Console launches are always dominated by hardcore gamers who will buy the product irregardless of price; and resellers who will markup the MSRP up to 200% on sites like ebay. Launch sales are never indictive of long term console success since it will have to appeal to the middling gamer as well as the casuel one. Which we saw sony fail to do at the start of the PS3's lifecycle like they did with the PS2. And thusly allowed Microsoft to not only gain ground but surpass them in Worldwide sales this gen; and we all know about the Wii.

 

I live in a place could reality maybe you should try it sometimes.


I dont think that having a 3% difference margin is a "surpassing" Sony.... Microsofts 70million vs Sonys 68million. The ONLY reason why Microsoft has as many sales as it did was primarily because it 1) released 1 year earlier 2) the RROD issue prompted people to buy a 2nd/3rd/4th/5th console off the shelf inflating numbers by quite a bit until Microsoft invested somewhere near $1billion in warranty claims and extending the Xbox's warranty for RROD and E74 to 3 years, but all other issues were still limited with the same 1 year warranty it had always had.

And the PS2s did WAY BETTER than the Xbox ever did... partly because the PS2 had a 1 year head start, also because its library of games wasn't as strong as the PS2's, given its lack of nearly ANY decent exclusive titles except Halo and a handful of others.

The only reason why the Wii was such a success was because of its absolutely low cost, and because it was motion controlled so it naturally WOW'ed EVERYONE..... at a $249.99 price, and $50 price drop shortly thereafter, you couldn't find a Wii at any store. 
Living in Orlando, Florida, you actually had to be put on a 1 month waiting list because it was so popular.


During Generation 6 the Xbox sold 24 million consoles; the Gamecube sold 21 million; the PS2 sold 150 million. No one knows how many of the xbox 360 consoles were rebuys due to RROD since no numbers exist to differentiate those sales. Saying that they accounted for a signficant portion of sales this gen is speculation at best just like if I was to say the same about the YLOD that bricked the phat PS3's.  Compared to last gen Microsoft and Nintendo have made enormous gains in the 7th gen. how you can sit there and attempt to deny that is unbelievable. In the end all that matters is sales of the console as thats how companies make there money and at this moment as we speak the ps3 is sitting in third place due to the factors I spoke of.

 


I never said I denied it.... But how can you say that 150million PS2's sold is better than the sales of the Gamecube and Xbox combines? Thats probably not what you're saying, but the way you word things sure makes it seem that way

Furiously Chaosing
Message 65 of 152 (98 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 12/18/2002
Offline
18928 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

Toe_Tag_ wrote:

 

There already doing it. Its called the PLAYSTATION STORE. Everything you buy there or rent is linked to your account.

 

I'll bet by the middle 2014 there won't be disc based games anymore.


Having games be linked to your PSN account is different than linked to your PS3 hardware. 

 

|Your PSN account fallows you from hardware to hardware for it lives on SONY's servers. The account is as secure as SONY security protocols, the strength of the password you assign to it & how private you keep this password.

 

Sony will have to force all PS4 [or whatever console this end up on] to be connected online even for offline games.

 

|Hardware [Your PS3] can fail,  be stolen, etc.  Thus my concern 

 

If Sony really wants for whatever it is they are doing to be successful then they  might as well move away from the hardware market to full time digital retail.  As long as the security measures live in the consumers homes [hardware, software] this will be cracked, hacked  & slashed.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 66 of 152 (97 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Offline
29189 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

The assumption your makng is that I said only steam games.  Farcary 3 was avaible for 30 bucks on steam recently; doesn't sound like a 5 year old game to me. The pricing stricture of these online sales far outweigh the benefits of buying used. In this scernio I wouldn;t mind buying new due to the fact that the cost would be reasonable to me if the game doesn't meet my expectations. Also it is known that PC gamers are quick to revolt if they feel things aren't going thier way mostly due to the lack of a console war in which fanboys would blindly support and better yet defend these "practices" from the corporate big wigs. I brought up the War Z example; as a prime case of this.


PC gamers also have to deal with the constant hardware upgrades, downloading drivers, and installing new video cards, and there's still no guaruntee that they can even play the latest and greatest game.

 

And you claim we "blindly support and better yet defend these" practices from the corporate big wigs".  Well the last time I looked PC gamers are playing on machines that run MICROSOFT WINDOWS, and platform that was built on establishing an monopoly by squashing competition through predatory business practices, and stifling competition.

 

You throw out all of this anti-corporate speech, yet you support Valve. Gabe Newell is one of BIGGEST (in stature and in his physical size) corporate "big wig" in the entire INDUSTRY. And he got there because you actually bought his bill of goods that he sold that he's some how doing your a favor by forcing your to install Steam, making developers use Steamworks there by forcing them to sell games on Steam, and preventing other sources like Direct2Drive and Origin from selling any games that use the Steamworks "platform". By your own words, you should absolutely despise him. Yet, he's seen as the "benevolent dictator", because for some reason this is "different" because he's not Sony. Funny how that works out.

 

The day Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah says to the chamber "that is the defintion of a monopoly" regarding a Sony video game console, come talk to me.

 

Message 67 of 152 (92 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Offline
29189 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

FROST_420 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

 

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

 

 


     That's exactly what I'm considering. I can wait 2 or 3 years for the bugs to be worked out anyway, so skipping the next gen completely may be exactly what I end up doing. The importance of these consoles is getting blown way out of proportion and not by the consumer. Can you imagine going to buy a used car and having an extra 20% added to the price for the manufacturer just because they see money and want it? What people are missing here is that I'm not buying a used car for 20k and the manufacturer is not getting any simply because they are not involved in this transaction. It is obvious that the first buyer has only paid a portion and I'm paying the rest so the manufacturer is getting my money still. We are not all rich and therefore cannot all afford the same things this is called "classes" and is part of what makes up this great society we live in. How do they think this will translate into more money? If anything it will mean less money being spent on this pastime and I speak for myself and my kids who I still buy things for.


Ugh, here we go again. Everytime "gamers" bring up cars and an analogy they only prove ONE and only ONE thing; They don't know SQUAT about cars! The reason they don't have a surcharge on cars is because a manufacturer still makes money on a car LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG after it leaves the factory and the showroom. It's called PARTS AND SERVICE. Or do you actually believe that a car never needs brakes, shocks, struts, O2 sensors, oil changes, calipers, brake master cylinders, air filters, or any number of the THOUSANDS of parts that can break down on a car over time?

 

Also many manufacturers offer what's called "Factory Re-Certified Cars", where a car is taken in as a trade, inspected, and then certified for resale. Dealers have to pay into this system, so yes a manufacturer does make money (and A LOT of it at that) on a used car. Don't believe me?

 

 

BMW of North American Certified Pre-Owned Program

 

Attention Gamers; stop using the "car analogy". You're not helping your case when you do.

 

Message 68 of 152 (89 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 12/06/2012
Offline
62 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 5, 2013
Game developers are wrong. What gives them the right to demand revenue from a 2nd sale?

They make a product and sell it, and get whatever price they want to charge for it. After that, they have no business expecting further moneys from it.

Expecting a 2nd hand product to still somehow generate revenue is pure greed! They always blame piracy but its pure and simple money grab.
Message 69 of 152 (80 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/02/2009
Offline
7025 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 5, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

DragonIrons wrote:

lol werent' they 800 bucks a pop at launch? And yes they were flying off shelves, of course people were getting more then one to sell them for over 1000 a pop on Ebay to some bigger idiot who didn't wait to see if it had problems.


 well i paid  800 for mines, mind  you.   it was hard to get in nyc man night  one man..  . I dont   think you calling people idiots becuase  they did,  serve a purpose in the debate.  alot   of things you  pay  for  everyday  are priced  over  the limit of worth ,that  doesnt make you a idiot or does by own standard.? of course these are your rules nd your opinion  but igues you dont  own up to that ..  lol

 

. If its hard to get you  will pay  what  they  dam  heck they are charging if there is  its  a shortage.. i dont regret it , it was money well spent.. nothing will beat the feeling of getting a ps3 on launch day when other where  fighting  for it and  came home  empty handed. There where folks   who flew from california   and canada to nyc to get a ps3 launch  and  went back home with nothing..   cried. fougth  and spit  some even went to  jail that night all for  a ps3.  To know you got  ultmiate prize night one is  hell of a feeling.

 

 You  would nver understand  that.   


Those would be the hardcore gamers and resellers that I spoke of. And as I said  before lanuch day sales are never indictive of long term success for a console as the rate of sales must be steady. WE saw with the PS3 for the first few weeks flying off the shelves becuase of these two groups. However; when these two groups had got thier consoles then PS3's started to sit on store selves hindered by the high price of admission; lack of games to justify said price;  and the fact that a alternative console sat at over 200 bucks cheaper. And as we all know because of this fact the PS3 in just 3 short years canabilized the profits made by sonys most successful console the PS2.


  my console was factory new.  For the rest of  what  you  stated thats  your opinion and it granted for you. I cannot commentt on that much. But   my console was new not a resell.. Factory  new.  got it. good  Smiley Happy  thank you .

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 70 of 152 (73 Views)