Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

What would stop Microsoft from pulling a full 360 (no pun intended) and not implementing this type of system in the xbox 720?  They would have another tagline beside " Better with Kinect" that will say " By the way the 720 allows you to play used games". Microsoft has already made big gains this gen due to mismangement by sony in terms of pricing. I doubt they would risk everything by following sony down the rabbit hole so to speak. This move if done will be a PR nightmare for sony and may see them go the way of sega and other console makers which were at one time thought untouchable.

Mismanagement in terms of pricing?

DId you also know that the 360, FROM LAUNCH, made profit? 
Did you also know that the PS3 is sold at a loss and Sony makes up for that in sales from games and accessories?

Right because PS3's were flying off the self at 600 bucks a pop. The PS3 ate up all the profits from Sony's most successful console the PS2. Thier credit rating is in the Junk status as well. Are you denying the microsoft and Nintendo made massive gains this gen in spite of the 6th gen dominantion that the PS2 enjoyed? Console gamers will go where they priceve value to be the greatest and this is reflected by most in terms of upfront pricing we saw this with the ps3 at the start where many ps2 buyers converted to buying the 360 for thier next gen needs. You would see that too if you took off the sony colored glasses.

LOl  ..  you  know  when  ps3 lauched more people/stores  got robbed  for it than any other console so it really was flying off the shelf. 

I dont why your  so angry with  sony did they take the jelly out your donut or something?

Console launches are always dominated by hardcore gamers who will buy the product irregardless of price; and resellers who will markup the MSRP up to 200% on sites like ebay. Launch sales are never indictive of long term console success since it will have to appeal to the middling gamer as well as the casuel one. Which we saw sony fail to do at the start of the PS3's lifecycle like they did with the PS2. And thusly allowed Microsoft to not only gain ground but surpass them in Worldwide sales this gen; and we all know about the Wii.

I live in a place could reality maybe you should try it sometimes.

I dont think that having a 3% difference margin is a "surpassing" Sony.... Microsofts 70million vs Sonys 68million. The ONLY reason why Microsoft has as many sales as it did was primarily because it 1) released 1 year earlier 2) the RROD issue prompted people to buy a 2nd/3rd/4th/5th console off the shelf inflating numbers by quite a bit until Microsoft invested somewhere near $1billion in warranty claims and extending the Xbox's warranty for RROD and E74 to 3 years, but all other issues were still limited with the same 1 year warranty it had always had.

And the PS2s did WAY BETTER than the Xbox ever did... partly because the PS2 had a 1 year head start, also because its library of games wasn't as strong as the PS2's, given its lack of nearly ANY decent exclusive titles except Halo and a handful of others.

The only reason why the Wii was such a success was because of its absolutely low cost, and because it was motion controlled so it naturally WOW'ed EVERYONE..... at a $249.99 price, and $50 price drop shortly thereafter, you couldn't find a Wii at any store. 
Living in Orlando, Florida, you actually had to be put on a 1 month waiting list because it was so popular.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 51 of 152 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4995 posts

Jan 4, 2013

Let the b*tching from the cheapskates begin...

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
220+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 52 of 152 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
219 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

its going to be like a online pass to reactivate the game its comming soon . lol i dont care i buy all my games new 

game developer make no money , 0 ,zero, nothing , nada on used games or rentals ,

thats why they introduced the online pass 

i don't have a pc i use ps3 browser
Message 53 of 152 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4392 posts

Jan 4, 2013

What this may end up doing is bring to the fore front the pertinent question that really needs to be clarified and addressed.

When I buy a physical copy of a game, or movie for that matter, what is it that I am buying?  What is it that I own?

Am I buying the actual physical media as a product, or am I just buying the perpetual license to use the content on the media.

If I am buying just the perpetual license to use said title, then I, as a consumer, should have the right to make copies of that title for my own personal use.  Such as making a copy for my cottage, my RV, or as a backup.

If it is for my own use, I own the right to use that title at anytime I want, on any format I want, in any place I want, and as I can not personally use two copies at the same time, I am not breaking the license that I have purchased.  There for, publishers have no right in doing anything to stop me from making these copies.

But they do, which must obviously mean that I did not buy the perpetual license to use the title.  I, there for, must have bought the actual physical media itself as a single product.

If that is the case then I own that disc, and everything about it.  It is my property.  Then I, as a consumer, have the right to sell my used property to someone else, and the publishers have no right to stop me.  It is not stealing any more than buying a used car is stealing from the auto companies.

The problem is the publishers want to have their cake and eat it to.  They want us to pay a substantial amount for something, yet have ownership of nothing.

This needs to stop.  The laws need to be clarified here, and I fear unless some consumer activist group takes charge of spear heading this, the publishers will erode even more of our consumer rights.

Be One With The Game.

Message 54 of 152 (123 Views)
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 4, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

What would stop Microsoft from pulling a full 360 (no pun intended) and not implementing this type of system in the xbox 720?  They would have another tagline beside " Better with Kinect" that will say " By the way the 720 allows you to play used games". Microsoft has already made big gains this gen due to mismangement by sony in terms of pricing. I doubt they would risk everything by following sony down the rabbit hole so to speak. This move if done will be a PR nightmare for sony and may see them go the way of sega and other console makers which were at one time thought untouchable.

Mismanagement in terms of pricing?

DId you also know that the 360, FROM LAUNCH, made profit? 
Did you also know that the PS3 is sold at a loss and Sony makes up for that in sales from games and accessories?

Right because PS3's were flying off the self at 600 bucks a pop. The PS3 ate up all the profits from Sony's most successful console the PS2. Thier credit rating is in the Junk status as well. Are you denying the microsoft and Nintendo made massive gains this gen in spite of the 6th gen dominantion that the PS2 enjoyed? Console gamers will go where they priceve value to be the greatest and this is reflected by most in terms of upfront pricing we saw this with the ps3 at the start where many ps2 buyers converted to buying the 360 for thier next gen needs. You would see that too if you took off the sony colored glasses.

LOl  ..  you  know  when  ps3 lauched more people/stores  got robbed  for it than any other console so it really was flying off the shelf. 

I dont why your  so angry with  sony did they take the jelly out your donut or something?

Console launches are always dominated by hardcore gamers who will buy the product irregardless of price; and resellers who will markup the MSRP up to 200% on sites like ebay. Launch sales are never indictive of long term console success since it will have to appeal to the middling gamer as well as the casuel one. Which we saw sony fail to do at the start of the PS3's lifecycle like they did with the PS2. And thusly allowed Microsoft to not only gain ground but surpass them in Worldwide sales this gen; and we all know about the Wii.

I live in a place could reality maybe you should try it sometimes.

I dont think that having a 3% difference margin is a "surpassing" Sony.... Microsofts 70million vs Sonys 68million. The ONLY reason why Microsoft has as many sales as it did was primarily because it 1) released 1 year earlier 2) the RROD issue prompted people to buy a 2nd/3rd/4th/5th console off the shelf inflating numbers by quite a bit until Microsoft invested somewhere near $1billion in warranty claims and extending the Xbox's warranty for RROD and E74 to 3 years, but all other issues were still limited with the same 1 year warranty it had always had.

And the PS2s did WAY BETTER than the Xbox ever did... partly because the PS2 had a 1 year head start, also because its library of games wasn't as strong as the PS2's, given its lack of nearly ANY decent exclusive titles except Halo and a handful of others.

The only reason why the Wii was such a success was because of its absolutely low cost, and because it was motion controlled so it naturally WOW'ed EVERYONE..... at a $249.99 price, and $50 price drop shortly thereafter, you couldn't find a Wii at any store. 
Living in Orlando, Florida, you actually had to be put on a 1 month waiting list because it was so popular.

During Generation 6 the Xbox sold 24 million consoles; the Gamecube sold 21 million; the PS2 sold 150 million. No one knows how many of the xbox 360 consoles were rebuys due to RROD since no numbers exist to differentiate those sales. Saying that they accounted for a signficant portion of sales this gen is speculation at best just like if I was to say the same about the YLOD that bricked the phat PS3's.  Compared to last gen Microsoft and Nintendo have made enormous gains in the 7th gen. how you can sit there and attempt to deny that is unbelievable. In the end all that matters is sales of the console as thats how companies make there money and at this moment as we speak the ps3 is sitting in third place due to the factors I spoke of.

Message 55 of 152 (115 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty?

Yes, I do. I hope every end-user does as well. Do make use of the warranty.

Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

I do understand what buying a video game console is. I'm talking about after the warranty ends; when it is you and your device. For those with the know-how-to, being forced to pay top dollar to fix something you can do on your own is like a stab. Of course this group would be few compared to the many of end-users but still.  Nevertheless, this is not my main concern. If this technology is ever put to use, how is this going to affect me and my game collection. Will my game collection [those games which support the technology] become useless without the console/disc-player they are associated to? Because this can be a major step to influence everybody to move to digital game consumption. This is the issue I'm  having with this.

Yeah, that's for sure. Microsoft isn't any better than anybody else. This is why I'm on the PlayStation camp.

Fishing is fun but I trade it for swimming on the open seas Smiley Happy

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 56 of 152 (109 Views)
Gaming Beast
2200 posts

Jan 4, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

That's exactly what I'm considering. I can wait 2 or 3 years for the bugs to be worked out anyway, so skipping the next gen completely may be exactly what I end up doing. The importance of these consoles is getting blown way out of proportion and not by the consumer. Can you imagine going to buy a used car and having an extra 20% added to the price for the manufacturer just because they see money and want it? What people are missing here is that I'm not buying a used car for 20k and the manufacturer is not getting any simply because they are not involved in this transaction. It is obvious that the first buyer has only paid a portion and I'm paying the rest so the manufacturer is getting my money still. We are not all rich and therefore cannot all afford the same things this is called "classes" and is part of what makes up this great society we live in. How do they think this will translate into more money? If anything it will mean less money being spent on this pastime and I speak for myself and my kids who I still buy things for.

Message 57 of 152 (105 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Jan 4, 2013

Looking far into the future, if video games become one-time use only, you can kiss the collector market goodbye.

Message 58 of 152 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7025 posts

Jan 4, 2013

DragonIrons wrote:

lol werent' they 800 bucks a pop at launch? And yes they were flying off shelves, of course people were getting more then one to sell them for over 1000 a pop on Ebay to some bigger idiot who didn't wait to see if it had problems.

well i paid  800 for mines, mind  you.   it was hard to get in nyc man night  one man..  . I dont   think you calling people idiots becuase  they did,  serve a purpose in the debate.  alot   of things you  pay  for  everyday  are priced  over  the limit of worth ,that  doesnt make you a idiot or does by own standard.? of course these are your rules nd your opinion  but igues you dont  own up to that ..  lol

. If its hard to get you  will pay  what  they  dam  heck they are charging if there is  its  a shortage.. i dont regret it , it was money well spent.. nothing will beat the feeling of getting a ps3 on launch day when other where  fighting  for it and  came home  empty handed. There where folks   who flew from california   and canada to nyc to get a ps3 launch  and  went back home with nothing..   cried. fougth  and spit  some even went to  jail that night all for  a ps3.  To know you got  ultmiate prize night one is  hell of a feeling.

You  would nver understand  that.   

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 59 of 152 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7025 posts

Jan 4, 2013

FROST_420 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

That's exactly what I'm considering. I can wait 2 or 3 years for the bugs to be worked out anyway, so skipping the next gen completely may be exactly what I end up doing. The importance of these consoles is getting blown way out of proportion and not by the consumer. Can you imagine going to buy a used car and having an extra 20% added to the price for the manufacturer just because they see money and want it? What people are missing here is that I'm not buying a used car for 20k and the manufacturer is not getting any simply because they are not involved in this transaction. It is obvious that the first buyer has only paid a portion and I'm paying the rest so the manufacturer is getting my money still. We are not all rich and therefore cannot all afford the same things this is called "classes" and is part of what makes up this great society we live in. How do they think this will translate into more money? If anything it will mean less money being spent on this pastime and I speak for myself and my kids who I still buy things for.

well  said  kudo +1.. 

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 60 of 152 (101 Views)
0 Likes