Reply
Wastelander
Registered: 05/26/2010
Offline
625 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

they would adapt to digital moron

Equality for all
Message 41 of 152 (122 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/12/2012
Online
2722 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

AriesSiren wrote:

they would adapt to digital moron


LOL I'm the moron? Used game store like gamestop make most of their busness funneling used games....... you cant' sell used games DIGITAL.... moron. If this ever happened and discs themselves were tied to the systems places like gamestop and gamefly would tank. And so would the companies like Sony. I know I'd NEVER buy a system like that, if the system ever died I'd be fracked.

Message 42 of 152 (118 Views)
First Son
Registered: 01/04/2013
Offline
7 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013
Its going to happen on the next xbox and playstation. can see them tying games to accounts rather than discs (probably base it like if u download something now for psp/vita and its compatible on ps3 they wnt charge u to download it
Message 43 of 152 (113 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/17/2011
Offline
85 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

 

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

 

 


What would stop Microsoft from pulling a full 360 (no pun intended) and not implementing this type of system in the xbox 720?  They would have another tagline beside " Better with Kinect" that will say " By the way the 720 allows you to play used games". Microsoft has already made big gains this gen due to mismangement by sony in terms of pricing. I doubt they would risk everything by following sony down the rabbit hole so to speak. This move if done will be a PR nightmare for sony and may see them go the way of sega and other console makers which were at one time thought untouchable.


Mismanagement in terms of pricing?

 

DId you also know that the 360, FROM LAUNCH, made profit? 
Did you also know that the PS3 is sold at a loss and Sony makes up for that in sales from games and accessories?

 

 


Right because PS3's were flying off the self at 600 bucks a pop. The PS3 ate up all the profits from Sony's most successful console the PS2. Thier credit rating is in the Junk status as well. Are you denying the microsoft and Nintendo made massive gains this gen in spite of the 6th gen dominantion that the PS2 enjoyed? Console gamers will go where they priceve value to be the greatest and this is reflected by most in terms of upfront pricing we saw this with the ps3 at the start where many ps2 buyers converted to buying the 360 for thier next gen needs. You would see that too if you took off the sony colored glasses.

 


Exactly... PERCIEVED VALUE.... WHen the 360 launched, in order to EQUAL the specs of the PS3... you had to spend a total of $700 in the console and accessories to equal the PS3.... AND the extra $200 for the dead HD-DVD add-on.... 

 

Really? you're going to argue about value?  I spent $600 on my 60Gb PS3 and didn't have to buy anything else to enjoy any of the PS3''s capabilities.... And with the Slim and Super Slim PS3's... its still a better value over the 360  as you'd still need to spend well over $100 to get a 250Gb hdd.... in top of the $250 price tag for a mid-level 360 and the top tier 360 is the same price as the 500 Gb PS3....

So many people still think that the low price-tag on a console on store shelves think you're saving money, but thats simply not true and really means you're going to spend more money on other areas. 

Do you think leasing an xbox for $99 at the register and pay $15/mo for 3 years is a good deal? Not when you realize you end up paying a total of $350 for the console overall, as opposed to buying a $300 X360 right off the bat....

yea, perception..... pfft.... you have none.

The PS3 didn't see any profits from the PS2 until half way through its lifecycle. 

 

You also fail to see that the Playstation brand as a whole has ALWAYS been profitable. Sony's other financial decisions might not have been so great, and calling Sony's crediting rating "junk" is actually par for the course for any large corporation. Sony has been through this situation before.... Yes, even Microsoft years ago. Especilly during the Anti-Trust ordeal.

 

You REALLY need to check your sources.


Oh boy I see I am dealing with one of the sony fanboys here. LEts start your argument from the beginning.  You say that in order to equal the specs from the PS3/ 360 gamers would have to add on a HDDVD drive and equal up to 700 bucks worth of stuff. FIrst of all the majority of thier game console sales come from CASUELS. Yea I know that is a bad word on this forum but it is true; the majority of gamers which are buying these consoles and consquently in this case the 360 are using them primarly for online gaming; and prehaps watching netflix you dont need a high media format to pull that off. If the cost of the orignal PS3 was so valuable to the consumer then why did the PS3 struggle to make sales early on in its lifecycle when it released for 599 bucks? Why did previously PS2 gamers jump ship to play on Microsofts console that at the time cost 200 bucks less? Even sony themselves have come out and stated that releasing the PS3 at that price point was a mistake. But I guess your fanboyism is blinding you to even what themselves are saying.

 

MAny people partition up sales and pay in installments we do it with cell phones, cars, etc. WOuld I do it for a gaming console I dont know at this time it would depend o whether I would be interested in the console for the duration of the contract I signed up for. This idea is to entice casuels and will be a good idea for next gen consoles to implement if we get back to that 599 price point again.

 

Its common knowledge that the PS2 ate up the PS3 profits; http://www.1up.com/news/sony-lost-ps3-ps2  

 

Right there is a link to a story which stated as such aka the sales equaled to 3 billion dollars in losses by the time 2009 hit. The PS3 was also selling for over 260 bucks a console loss rate. Do you really think that any company could keep that up for long without negative effects hitting thier bottom line.

 

Having a credit rating that is in the junk status is not a good thing and is a harbringer of a down economy mixed in with mismangement.  SOny themesleves have had 4 straight annual losses . WHich puts them in the same vaunted group like GM which had to file bankrupcey back in 09. I really do not need to go into detail with this as Sony's finicial state is well documented on plenty of video game sites and economic ones. You know this to be a reality of the current state of sony just as well as I do so leave the fanboy outlook at home.

Message 44 of 152 (109 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/17/2011
Offline
85 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

 

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

 

 


What would stop Microsoft from pulling a full 360 (no pun intended) and not implementing this type of system in the xbox 720?  They would have another tagline beside " Better with Kinect" that will say " By the way the 720 allows you to play used games". Microsoft has already made big gains this gen due to mismangement by sony in terms of pricing. I doubt they would risk everything by following sony down the rabbit hole so to speak. This move if done will be a PR nightmare for sony and may see them go the way of sega and other console makers which were at one time thought untouchable.


Mismanagement in terms of pricing?

 

DId you also know that the 360, FROM LAUNCH, made profit? 
Did you also know that the PS3 is sold at a loss and Sony makes up for that in sales from games and accessories?

 

 


Right because PS3's were flying off the self at 600 bucks a pop. The PS3 ate up all the profits from Sony's most successful console the PS2. Thier credit rating is in the Junk status as well. Are you denying the microsoft and Nintendo made massive gains this gen in spite of the 6th gen dominantion that the PS2 enjoyed? Console gamers will go where they priceve value to be the greatest and this is reflected by most in terms of upfront pricing we saw this with the ps3 at the start where many ps2 buyers converted to buying the 360 for thier next gen needs. You would see that too if you took off the sony colored glasses.

 


 LOl  ..  you  know  when  ps3 lauched more people/stores  got robbed  for it than any other console so it really was flying off the shelf. 

 

  I dont why your  so angry with  sony did they take the jelly out your donut or something?


Console launches are always dominated by hardcore gamers who will buy the product irregardless of price; and resellers who will markup the MSRP up to 200% on sites like ebay. Launch sales are never indictive of long term console success since it will have to appeal to the middling gamer as well as the casuel one. Which we saw sony fail to do at the start of the PS3's lifecycle like they did with the PS2. And thusly allowed Microsoft to not only gain ground but surpass them in Worldwide sales this gen; and we all know about the Wii.

 

I live in a place could reality maybe you should try it sometimes.

Message 45 of 152 (109 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/17/2011
Offline
85 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

AriesSiren wrote:

they would adapt to digital moron


Considering how IP limits are in most countries with high speed internet access; The fact that a large prehaps majority of consumers of consoles lack internet access in the first place and thusly dont ever get online; and lastly the huge and long download waits for these games which will only get larger and larger do you think it is a good idea to go with a fully downloadable gaming model?

Message 46 of 152 (107 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16939 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

DragonIrons wrote:

AriesSiren wrote:

xbox is planning the same strategy. companies are suffering bigtime and closing their doors. i support this fully. smart move sony!!  you guys have any idea how many studios went under because of 2nd hand?


heh you say equal rights for all yet you support something that would cause millions of people to lose their jobs cause THOSE companies would go under (gamestop, gamefly and god knows what else). Sorry but if a dev company makes a game that sucks so bad we dont' want to buy it new..... sela ve (lol idk how you spell that french phrase).

And you fail at reading.... or didn't bother at all. Someone already said that this is OLD NEWS (like 2005), and sony's already said they won't do it they dont' want to kill the game industry (OR the used game industry).


its "cest la vie" Smiley Wink

Furiously Chaosing
Message 47 of 152 (105 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16939 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

uiscebeatha101 wrote:
Its going to happen on the next xbox and playstation. can see them tying games to accounts rather than discs (probably base it like if u download something now for psp/vita and its compatible on ps3 they wnt charge u to download it

You can't make that sort of statement because NO ONE EVER MENTIONED IT. 

Only time will tell if this is true.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 48 of 152 (100 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16939 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

 

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

 

 


What would stop Microsoft from pulling a full 360 (no pun intended) and not implementing this type of system in the xbox 720?  They would have another tagline beside " Better with Kinect" that will say " By the way the 720 allows you to play used games". Microsoft has already made big gains this gen due to mismangement by sony in terms of pricing. I doubt they would risk everything by following sony down the rabbit hole so to speak. This move if done will be a PR nightmare for sony and may see them go the way of sega and other console makers which were at one time thought untouchable.


Mismanagement in terms of pricing?

 

DId you also know that the 360, FROM LAUNCH, made profit? 
Did you also know that the PS3 is sold at a loss and Sony makes up for that in sales from games and accessories?

 

 


Right because PS3's were flying off the self at 600 bucks a pop. The PS3 ate up all the profits from Sony's most successful console the PS2. Thier credit rating is in the Junk status as well. Are you denying the microsoft and Nintendo made massive gains this gen in spite of the 6th gen dominantion that the PS2 enjoyed? Console gamers will go where they priceve value to be the greatest and this is reflected by most in terms of upfront pricing we saw this with the ps3 at the start where many ps2 buyers converted to buying the 360 for thier next gen needs. You would see that too if you took off the sony colored glasses.

 


Exactly... PERCIEVED VALUE.... WHen the 360 launched, in order to EQUAL the specs of the PS3... you had to spend a total of $700 in the console and accessories to equal the PS3.... AND the extra $200 for the dead HD-DVD add-on.... 

 

Really? you're going to argue about value?  I spent $600 on my 60Gb PS3 and didn't have to buy anything else to enjoy any of the PS3''s capabilities.... And with the Slim and Super Slim PS3's... its still a better value over the 360  as you'd still need to spend well over $100 to get a 250Gb hdd.... in top of the $250 price tag for a mid-level 360 and the top tier 360 is the same price as the 500 Gb PS3....

So many people still think that the low price-tag on a console on store shelves think you're saving money, but thats simply not true and really means you're going to spend more money on other areas. 

Do you think leasing an xbox for $99 at the register and pay $15/mo for 3 years is a good deal? Not when you realize you end up paying a total of $350 for the console overall, as opposed to buying a $300 X360 right off the bat....

yea, perception..... pfft.... you have none.

The PS3 didn't see any profits from the PS2 until half way through its lifecycle. 

 

You also fail to see that the Playstation brand as a whole has ALWAYS been profitable. Sony's other financial decisions might not have been so great, and calling Sony's crediting rating "junk" is actually par for the course for any large corporation. Sony has been through this situation before.... Yes, even Microsoft years ago. Especilly during the Anti-Trust ordeal.

 

You REALLY need to check your sources.


Oh boy I see I am dealing with one of the sony fanboys here. LEts start your argument from the beginning.  You say that in order to equal the specs from the PS3/ 360 gamers would have to add on a HDDVD drive and equal up to 700 bucks worth of stuff. FIrst of all the majority of thier game console sales come from CASUELS. Yea I know that is a bad word on this forum but it is true; the majority of gamers which are buying these consoles and consquently in this case the 360 are using them primarly for online gaming; and prehaps watching netflix you dont need a high media format to pull that off. If the cost of the orignal PS3 was so valuable to the consumer then why did the PS3 struggle to make sales early on in its lifecycle when it released for 599 bucks? Why did previously PS2 gamers jump ship to play on Microsofts console that at the time cost 200 bucks less? Even sony themselves have come out and stated that releasing the PS3 at that price point was a mistake. But I guess your fanboyism is blinding you to even what themselves are saying.

 

MAny people partition up sales and pay in installments we do it with cell phones, cars, etc. WOuld I do it for a gaming console I dont know at this time it would depend o whether I would be interested in the console for the duration of the contract I signed up for. This idea is to entice casuels and will be a good idea for next gen consoles to implement if we get back to that 599 price point again.

 

Its common knowledge that the PS2 ate up the PS3 profits; http://www.1up.com/news/sony-lost-ps3-ps2  

 

Right there is a link to a story which stated as such aka the sales equaled to 3 billion dollars in losses by the time 2009 hit. The PS3 was also selling for over 260 bucks a console loss rate. Do you really think that any company could keep that up for long without negative effects hitting thier bottom line.

 

Having a credit rating that is in the junk status is not a good thing and is a harbringer of a down economy mixed in with mismangement.  SOny themesleves have had 4 straight annual losses . WHich puts them in the same vaunted group like GM which had to file bankrupcey back in 09. I really do not need to go into detail with this as Sony's finicial state is well documented on plenty of video game sites and economic ones. You know this to be a reality of the current state of sony just as well as I do so leave the fanboy outlook at home.


Why is it that anytime someone actually provides you with factual information/statement, you resort to calling them a fanboy?


Im pretty sure thats what keeps the gaming industry going...

you must not have read the part where JUST ABOUT EVERY COMPANY/CORPORATION ENDS UP HAVING A JUNK CREDIT RATING SEVERAL TIMES THROUGHOUT THEIR LIFECYCLE. THATS WHY I SAID IT IS PAR FOR THE COURSE.... MICROSOFT THEMSELVES HAVE BEEN RATED AS JUNK AT LEAST 5 DIFFERENT TIMES. And they've stayed around for 37 years.....

Furiously Chaosing
Message 49 of 152 (100 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/12/2012
Online
2722 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

uiscebeatha101 wrote:
Its going to happen on the next xbox and playstation. can see them tying games to accounts rather than discs (probably base it like if u download something now for psp/vita and its compatible on ps3 they wnt charge u to download it

Tying games to accounts like that is fine......... and arent' they already? at least for digital ones....  Like that OP said if the game discs are tagged to the ACCOUNT (instead of the disc itself like he said)..... wait that would still link the disc to one person forever. bah idk I'm tired.....

Ok if it was tied to an account instead of the system....... We wouldnt' have a problem if our system dies at least. We could replace that and still use our games. But that would STILL run stores like gamestop into the ground, used game market would still die, unless we could "deactivate" the game from our account before selling it. But then that would defeat the purpose in the first place...

 

I just don't see anyway they can do anything like this without killing half the market (and jobs). DLC and Things like Online passes that force people buying used games to still give companies like EA some money (for a new pass) is probably the only kind of thing they can do. The only problem I have with DLC is DLC that was obviously ON THE DISC at launch, but they locked it to wring more money out of us *looks at Hot Pursuit*....

Message 50 of 152 (99 Views)
Reply
0 Likes