Reply
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/17/2011
Offline
85 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

 

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

 

 


What would stop Microsoft from pulling a full 360 (no pun intended) and not implementing this type of system in the xbox 720?  They would have another tagline beside " Better with Kinect" that will say " By the way the 720 allows you to play used games". Microsoft has already made big gains this gen due to mismangement by sony in terms of pricing. I doubt they would risk everything by following sony down the rabbit hole so to speak. This move if done will be a PR nightmare for sony and may see them go the way of sega and other console makers which were at one time thought untouchable.


Mismanagement in terms of pricing?

 

DId you also know that the 360, FROM LAUNCH, made profit? 
Did you also know that the PS3 is sold at a loss and Sony makes up for that in sales from games and accessories?

 

 


Right because PS3's were flying off the self at 600 bucks a pop. The PS3 ate up all the profits from Sony's most successful console the PS2. Thier credit rating is in the Junk status as well. Are you denying the microsoft and Nintendo made massive gains this gen in spite of the 6th gen dominantion that the PS2 enjoyed? Console gamers will go where they priceve value to be the greatest and this is reflected by most in terms of upfront pricing we saw this with the ps3 at the start where many ps2 buyers converted to buying the 360 for thier next gen needs. You would see that too if you took off the sony colored glasses.

 

Message 31 of 152 (171 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/17/2011
Offline
85 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

PAINPAS wrote:

Shuhei just tweet that all is well and this is just so others will not be able to patent the practice and lets move on. We need clarification on this issue. The message boards everywhere are having a field day and Sony condemners and bashers are coming at all sides. Just let the people know that this is just patent hoarding for royalties from fools who would like to implement this practice. 


They haven't released a statement because they are seriously thinking about implementing this nonsense. Sony is made up of corporate bigwigs in suits who only view you as a customer number; and is only as good as the size of your wallet. Who cares about the console war if gamers are getting screwed in the process.


And you think thats a bad thing?

 

Sony, is not some group of swell guys.... neither is Microsoft.... they are all in the business of making money....

 

 

 

This is one of many posts you have made where you posted nonsense.


Read his post and then read mine in context; u will see  why I wrote what I did. Also nowhere in my post did I say anything positive about microsoft but becuase he was talking about sony I addressed them directly.

Message 32 of 152 (171 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/12/2012
Online
3084 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

DragonIrons wrote:


If the game devs would stop charging so much for new games alot of us wouldnt' WAIT to buy them used(I've seen this time and time again, do you want to know the reason they charge so much? Because you line up at midnight at GameStop to buy them. Stop buying them at $60, and they stop charging that. The market currently bears the $60 price tag, and they aren't going to change because of one guy complaining on the internet)......

 

The ONLY games I've bought new were games that were WORTH the money..... huge games like Skyrim (even with it's bugs from hell).  Games you can beat in one day?.... sorry but that's only worth about $20 or so. Or a rent

(Honestly, who's fault is it that you buy a game you "beat in one day"? It's not the length of games that are changing, it's PLAYING HABITS. A lot of "gamers" plop themselves down in front of the widescreen and play in these marathon sessions for hours at a time. Gone are the days you'd play for an hour or so, and then do something else. Video games somewhere around 2007 became a "lifestyle", and not merely a hobby. Out of curiosity I replayed through the original Syphon Filter not long ago, and how long would you guess the game was? Twenty hours? Nope. Fifteen hours? Guess again. WIth one level to go, the game clocked in at a total EIGHT HOURS. The original Metal Gear Solid minus cutscenes, clocks in at 4.5 hours. Nobody felt short changed by those games, because there wasn't this belief that longer was better by default.)

 

....... I'd say about 90% of my games (46 now) for the PS3 were bought used on Amazon or gamestop.  How they can think every single game is worth 60 bucks (even if you can beat it in 5 hours) is beyond me.

(Again, because people are BUYING them. And your statement of buying 90% of your games used is what prompted this technology. in the past I've demonstrated that buying used actually doesn't save you money. It's the IDEA of saving money that many are so enamored with, and the quick turn around that GameStop offers which appeals to those without the patience to sell their games themselves. That's more important than the actual savings)

 

 

Hell one game I got NEW recently from Amazon themselves for 30 bucks.... I just saw in Best Buy the other day for 60 still. They cant' even keep appraised of prices. I got it for 30 on amazon (and no i don't remember which game lol, i've gotten quite a few recently) and it was like 40 new at gamestop..... Best Buy is NEVER the Best Buy. I've seen it in alot more then games. Hell I just got a new phone system for the house there for $45 then a week later saw it at staples for $29...... not gonna bother getting the price match difference refunded though... Best Buy needs to change their name, seriously. And i don't know why that turned into a best buy rant lol...

(You do realize you have more choices than just GameStop, Amazon, and Best Buy? You are currently connected to the INTERNET. It is a vast resource of information, and if you're not using it to save you money, it's actually costing you money. I recently picked up Black Ops 2 for $40 at Target. Yep, you read that right. Black Ops 2 is currently $54.99 at GameStop. That's a price difference of $14. How exactly is buying used "saving money"? Because I seem to do much better buying new)

 

Oh and on the topic of my first sentence....... Another reason I wait to buy used or just wait.... I wait for GOTY or FULL editions to come out then wait a bit more and get THEM cheaper. Sorry Devs, but this DLC stuff is b.s. half the time it's not even new content like an expansion, it's already ON the disc. Sometimes it's even cheaper to buy the game used AND buy the DLC then get the game new.....

(I don't dispute that Game Of The Year editions are a good value, however buying used seldom saves you money. I've illustrated that, and it's a claim that holds absolutely no water. Trading in your games saves you no money either. There are better ways to save money, and it seems your needlessly overpaying, and then turning around blaming the industry for being "Meanie, greedy, poopy heads!". If you're over paying, you're not shopping around well enough. I don't blame the industry for charging $60 when people are willing to pay it. That's what's called the "free market". Furthermore, I find it ironic that gamers themselves are willing to render the veritable deathblow to used games by embracing things like digital downloads, and "cloud" gaming, in the hopes that cutting out a physical medium will somehow magically lower prices. It won't. It will only add to the industry's bottom line by downsizing the product and upsizing the profits. The "future" isn't as bright as you might want to believe it is).


 

 


I say ONE GAME that i got used for 30 bucks and you seeem to think I'm imagining **bleep** when i say I'm saving money? Sorry pal but I know how to add...... when I get a game for 20 bucks instead of 60, 15 or ten bucks instead of .... SIXTY..... hell that one 30 dollar game was less then your FORTY. O hey guess what? I'll get CALL of Duty II for less then you paid..... when it's on amazon for 25 bucks and Best Buy's still trying to sell it for $60. So you got it for 40 at target..... want a cookie? I rarely pay even THAT much per game unless it's a big one like Skyrim (like I said). If you want me to get REAL specific I'll list how much I paid for all 48 games I have so far for the PS3 and blow your little response to **bleep**. And sorry I dont' line up at a f'ing gamestop at midnight for a game.........

 

"(I don't dispute that Game Of The Year editions are a good value, however buying used seldom saves you money. I've illustrated that, and it's a claim that holds absolutely no water. Trading in your games saves you no money either. There are better ways to save money, and it seems your needlessly overpaying, and then turning around blaming the industry for being "Meanie, greedy, poopy heads!". If you're over paying, you're not shopping around well enough. I don't blame the industry for charging $60 when people are willing to pay it. That's what's called the "free market". Furthermore, I find it ironic that gamers themselves are willing to render the veritable deathblow to used games by embracing things like digital downloads, and "cloud" gaming, in the hopes that cutting out a physical medium will somehow magically lower prices. It won't. It will only add to the industry's bottom line by downsizing the product and upsizing the profits. The "future" isn't as bright as you might want to believe it is)."

 

Are you kidding me with this **bleep**? Buying used for like... 20 bucks then spending another...... 10 on DLC isnt' saving money? Even better if there's no DLC. Do you even have a brain? ANd when the frack did i even say I trade games? And who says I'm overpaying? AGAIN how am i OVER PAYING when I'm buying most of them used for basically pennies??? I usually get about four games for the price of one NEW one (at 60). So please.... tell me how the frack i'm overpaying (or not really saving money, that's it's only an idea i'm enamoured with as you put it....). Like I said if a game is WORTH it I'll pay full price when it's out, otherwise..... I'm perfectly fine waiting a year for the price to drop to almost nothing used (or even new still).

 

Furthermore, I find it ironic that gamers themselves are willing to render the veritable deathblow to used games by embracing things like digital downloads, and "cloud" gaming, in the hopes that cutting out a physical medium will somehow magically lower prices. It won't. It will only add to the industry's bottom line by downsizing the product and upsizing the profits. The "future" isn't as bright as you might want to believe it is)."

 

Are you brain dead? I mentioned DLC...... I didn't say anything about full downloaded GAMES off the PSN store cutting into physical copies. Dude seriously did you even READ what the frack I wrote?

Message 33 of 152 (158 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
16918 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

 

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

 

 


What would stop Microsoft from pulling a full 360 (no pun intended) and not implementing this type of system in the xbox 720?  They would have another tagline beside " Better with Kinect" that will say " By the way the 720 allows you to play used games". Microsoft has already made big gains this gen due to mismangement by sony in terms of pricing. I doubt they would risk everything by following sony down the rabbit hole so to speak. This move if done will be a PR nightmare for sony and may see them go the way of sega and other console makers which were at one time thought untouchable.


Mismanagement in terms of pricing?

 

DId you also know that the 360, FROM LAUNCH, made profit? 
Did you also know that the PS3 is sold at a loss and Sony makes up for that in sales from games and accessories?

 

 


Right because PS3's were flying off the self at 600 bucks a pop. The PS3 ate up all the profits from Sony's most successful console the PS2. Thier credit rating is in the Junk status as well. Are you denying the microsoft and Nintendo made massive gains this gen in spite of the 6th gen dominantion that the PS2 enjoyed? Console gamers will go where they priceve value to be the greatest and this is reflected by most in terms of upfront pricing we saw this with the ps3 at the start where many ps2 buyers converted to buying the 360 for thier next gen needs. You would see that too if you took off the sony colored glasses.

 


Exactly... PERCIEVED VALUE.... WHen the 360 launched, in order to EQUAL the specs of the PS3... you had to spend a total of $700 in the console and accessories to equal the PS3.... AND the extra $200 for the dead HD-DVD add-on.... 

 

Really? you're going to argue about value?  I spent $600 on my 60Gb PS3 and didn't have to buy anything else to enjoy any of the PS3''s capabilities.... And with the Slim and Super Slim PS3's... its still a better value over the 360  as you'd still need to spend well over $100 to get a 250Gb hdd.... in top of the $250 price tag for a mid-level 360 and the top tier 360 is the same price as the 500 Gb PS3....

So many people still think that the low price-tag on a console on store shelves think you're saving money, but thats simply not true and really means you're going to spend more money on other areas. 

Do you think leasing an xbox for $99 at the register and pay $15/mo for 3 years is a good deal? Not when you realize you end up paying a total of $350 for the console overall, as opposed to buying a $300 X360 right off the bat....

yea, perception..... pfft.... you have none.

The PS3 didn't see any profits from the PS2 until half way through its lifecycle. 

 

You also fail to see that the Playstation brand as a whole has ALWAYS been profitable. Sony's other financial decisions might not have been so great, and calling Sony's crediting rating "junk" is actually par for the course for any large corporation. Sony has been through this situation before.... Yes, even Microsoft years ago. Especilly during the Anti-Trust ordeal.

 

You REALLY need to check your sources.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 34 of 152 (152 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 07/02/2009
Offline
7134 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

 

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

 

 


What would stop Microsoft from pulling a full 360 (no pun intended) and not implementing this type of system in the xbox 720?  They would have another tagline beside " Better with Kinect" that will say " By the way the 720 allows you to play used games". Microsoft has already made big gains this gen due to mismangement by sony in terms of pricing. I doubt they would risk everything by following sony down the rabbit hole so to speak. This move if done will be a PR nightmare for sony and may see them go the way of sega and other console makers which were at one time thought untouchable.


Mismanagement in terms of pricing?

 

DId you also know that the 360, FROM LAUNCH, made profit? 
Did you also know that the PS3 is sold at a loss and Sony makes up for that in sales from games and accessories?

 

 


Right because PS3's were flying off the self at 600 bucks a pop. The PS3 ate up all the profits from Sony's most successful console the PS2. Thier credit rating is in the Junk status as well. Are you denying the microsoft and Nintendo made massive gains this gen in spite of the 6th gen dominantion that the PS2 enjoyed? Console gamers will go where they priceve value to be the greatest and this is reflected by most in terms of upfront pricing we saw this with the ps3 at the start where many ps2 buyers converted to buying the 360 for thier next gen needs. You would see that too if you took off the sony colored glasses.

 


 LOl  ..  you  know  when  ps3 lauched more people/stores  got robbed  for it than any other console so it really was flying off the shelf. 

 

  I dont why your  so angry with  sony did they take the jelly out your donut or something?

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 35 of 152 (145 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/12/2012
Online
3084 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

lol werent' they 800 bucks a pop at launch? And yes they were flying off shelves, of course people were getting more then one to sell them for over 1000 a pop on Ebay to some bigger idiot who didn't wait to see if it had problems.

Message 36 of 152 (140 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 05/26/2010
Offline
644 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013

xbox is planning the same strategy. companies are suffering bigtime and closing their doors. i support this fully. smart move sony!!  you guys have any idea how many studios went under because of 2nd hand?

Equality for all
Message 37 of 152 (133 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/12/2012
Online
3084 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

AriesSiren wrote:

xbox is planning the same strategy. companies are suffering bigtime and closing their doors. i support this fully. smart move sony!!  you guys have any idea how many studios went under because of 2nd hand?


heh you say equal rights for all yet you support something that would cause millions of people to lose their jobs cause THOSE companies would go under (gamestop, gamefly and god knows what else). Sorry but if a dev company makes a game that sucks so bad we dont' want to buy it new..... sela ve (lol idk how you spell that french phrase).

And you fail at reading.... or didn't bother at all. Someone already said that this is OLD NEWS (like 2005), and sony's already said they won't do it they dont' want to kill the game industry (OR the used game industry).

Message 38 of 152 (130 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 09/05/2009
Offline
2397 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 4, 2013
Lets just all hope its not true and go from there. E3 should contain all of our answers.
Message 39 of 152 (121 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 03/18/2010
Offline
556 posts
 

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

This should be titled "COULD" be used for blocking second hand games


This was most likely developed as a preventive measure for early code form leaving places it was never intended to and subsequent piracy/leaks.

 

Unfortunately the news media jumped on it and took it right to sensationalism and doommongering

Message 40 of 152 (118 Views)
Reply
0 Likes