MVP Support
18928 posts

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

SONY has been toying with this for a while. What bothers me about this is that we wont be able to take our game discs and play it on our friend's/family member's PlayStation system. Is Sony planning to ruin our friendly game nights and/or forcing us to risk the health of our PS3 system by making us take it everywhere?

With that said, I would like to read about their solution for situations in which the bluray player must be replaced. Will the end-user game collection now be useless [games that support the technology]? Is Sony working on some inconvenient way to swap bluray player IDs? Like MacBook Air, will we be forced to send our PlayStation consoles to the mother-ship for service?

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 21 of 152 (144 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29177 posts

Jan 4, 2013

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

Message 22 of 152 (139 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 4, 2013

Shuhei just tweet that all is well and this is just so others will not be able to patent the practice and lets move on. We need clarification on this issue. The message boards everywhere are having a field day and Sony condemners and bashers are coming at all sides. Just let the people know that this is just patent hoarding for royalties from fools who would like to implement this practice. 

Message 23 of 152 (124 Views)
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 4, 2013

The assumption your makng is that I said only steam games.  Farcary 3 was avaible for 30 bucks on steam recently; doesn't sound like a 5 year old game to me. The pricing stricture of these online sales far outweigh the benefits of buying used. In this scernio I wouldn;t mind buying new due to the fact that the cost would be reasonable to me if the game doesn't meet my expectations. Also it is known that PC gamers are quick to revolt if they feel things aren't going thier way mostly due to the lack of a console war in which fanboys would blindly support and better yet defend these "practices" from the corporate big wigs. I brought up the War Z example; as a prime case of this.

Message 24 of 152 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 4, 2013

superfriar19 wrote:

(You do realize you have more choices than just GameStop, Amazon, and Best Buy? You are currently connected to the INTERNET. It is a vast resource of information, and if you're not using it to save you money, it's actually costing you money. I recently picked up Black Ops 2 for $40 at Target. Yep, you read that right. Black Ops 2 is currently $54.99 at GameStop. That's a price difference of $14. How exactly is buying used "saving money"? Because I seem to do much better buying new)

That is so true. So many people get tricked by the whole well it's used so it must be cheaper thing. There are times where used games cost more than new games at GameStop.  I have seen it multiple times. So many people assume that used is cheaper and don't even check the price of the new game.

Also, just wait a few months and you can get a new copy for $20-$30. Every gamer I know has a huge backlog. Just play those until you can get it cheaper. Plus, have you seen some of the people who shop at GameStop? You really want their used games? 

I choose to buy new because I want to support the industry. If it's a game from one of my favorite franchises or developers then I will buy it on release day. If it's a game I just want to play and don't really care about the studio then I wait until I can get it way cheaper. Looking at you Assassins Creed 3.

WHy are people assuming that people who buy used games are buying them for 55 bucks or even 40-50 dollar price range. Gamestop has games that could range from 6 bucks all the way to 55 bucks and various ones that are free during the 2 for 1 sales. This also doesn't just destory gamestop but ebay; various gametrading sites; and even trading amongist friends. So get over your hatered of Gamestop and look at the big picture.

Your second paragraph is so moronic that it doesn't really warrent a response but just for discussion; what is the look that "some" gamestop consumers have that rubs you off the wrong way?

What assumption are you using that game prices will drop down in a reasonable time frame without used game sales to push them along? What would stop a company from hiking up prices to 70 bucks a pop and keeping it there since you would have no choice but to buy the game for that price or not play it at all.

Message 25 of 152 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 4, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

You do realize that as of right now if you open your console you void your warranty? Technically you're not supposed to be mucking around with your console's inner workings. However it seems that many confuse the PS3 with your garden variety PC where you can just swap parts willy nilly.

And it's not just Sony that's doing this. The rumor mill has been churning away that Microsoft have been planning to do it as well. So for those who are vowing to leave Sony and the Playstation family of consoles if this comes to pass (and it's unlikely it will), you might as well take up a new hobby, because Microsoft aren't the "swell guys" you want to believe they are. Maybe you can try fishing?

What would stop Microsoft from pulling a full 360 (no pun intended) and not implementing this type of system in the xbox 720?  They would have another tagline beside " Better with Kinect" that will say " By the way the 720 allows you to play used games". Microsoft has already made big gains this gen due to mismangement by sony in terms of pricing. I doubt they would risk everything by following sony down the rabbit hole so to speak. This move if done will be a PR nightmare for sony and may see them go the way of sega and other console makers which were at one time thought untouchable.

Message 26 of 152 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 4, 2013

PAINPAS wrote:

Shuhei just tweet that all is well and this is just so others will not be able to patent the practice and lets move on. We need clarification on this issue. The message boards everywhere are having a field day and Sony condemners and bashers are coming at all sides. Just let the people know that this is just patent hoarding for royalties from fools who would like to implement this practice. 

They haven't released a statement because they are seriously thinking about implementing this nonsense. Sony is made up of corporate bigwigs in suits who only view you as a customer number; and is only as good as the size of your wallet. Who cares about the console war if gamers are getting screwed in the process.

Message 27 of 152 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jan 4, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

What would stop Microsoft from pulling a full 360 (no pun intended) and not implementing this type of system in the xbox 720?  They would have another tagline beside " Better with Kinect" that will say " By the way the 720 allows you to play used games". Microsoft has already made big gains this gen due to mismangement by sony in terms of pricing. I doubt they would risk everything by following sony down the rabbit hole so to speak. This move if done will be a PR nightmare for sony and may see them go the way of sega and other console makers which were at one time thought untouchable.

Mismanagement in terms of pricing?

DId you also know that the 360, FROM LAUNCH, made profit? 
Did you also know that the PS3 is sold at a loss and Sony makes up for that in sales from games and accessories?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 28 of 152 (108 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jan 4, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

PAINPAS wrote:

They haven't released a statement because they are seriously thinking about implementing this nonsense. Sony is made up of corporate bigwigs in suits who only view you as a customer number; and is only as good as the size of your wallet. Who cares about the console war if gamers are getting screwed in the process.

And you think thats a bad thing?

Sony, is not some group of swell guys.... neither is Microsoft.... they are all in the business of making money....

This is one of many posts you have made where you posted nonsense.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 29 of 152 (107 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7022 posts

Jan 4, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Leviathan_502 wrote:

this is not a smart move and the few people out there who support this need to think for a moment. devs only make X amount of new titles. can you find a new copy of (EXAMPLES) "the darkness"  "star ocean: the last hope"  "marvel UA?" 

you might be able to online for more than what the retailed for. if its a used game how is it taking away from a dev when they already made that money on a game? its called business. i should be able to sell what i have bought to any one.  to me sony is making their own noose. and to all the people that said they would switch to xbox guess what? they're doing the same.

Its called "loss of potential sales"..... How many copies do you think become sold to another person for a given title? 100k? 500k? What if those copies had a licensing issue where if it was to be sold, the new user would have to give up $5 or $10 or whatever amount they charge, to those used titles? That would mean they are making $2 million on the 100k used copies for a $20 used-game-license.

You're right, it IS business. When it takes MANY millions of dollars to produce a game, and theres never a guarantee of the games' success, putting in a sort of a Royalty type system for used games, puts a guarantee that any copy that is sold used, puts some money back into the hands of the publisher/developer.-    i dont think it can be done,  what your tlking is  alot of lawsuits from past sales. I dont it worth  the hasle or could be done 

This is something that shouldn't be done by the console developer, but by the game developers themselves. 

One can argue that this live and let live/die and let die type of deal we have right now works, but what about the WHAT IF factor?
WHAT IF, Zipper Interactive was given another chance, by sheer financing, to make another GOOD Socom game?
Or what about the many small upstart developers that close its doors within a year or two of starting on a game, because they can't find the financing/investors needed to finish the game? Think about the many po tential great games the public has missed out on, because there was enough money circulating from previous salesZipper was given  alot of chances,  they where never profitable to sony. it bad buisness to  good  money  behind  wasted money. I  agree they could have demoted them to psvita dev  or psn dev. But what done is done. It sad to  see.

The first 3 Socom games were the best made by Zipper.... it wasn't until COD4:MW that Zipper was FORCED to try new things to bring more people to play Socom games, and it backfired on them. This is why Zipper wasn't profitable afterwards and why they tried something very new with MAG, this is also why Slant Six was brought in to make Confrontation, which was quite good IMO. But lets not make this completely about the developer... SOCOM belongs to Sony, and it was ultimately Sony that made them change the game.

You also do know, that the actual cost per copy sold is actually less than the retail cost of a game? You have the publisher taking their cut, as well as the actual companies that produce the materials for the game such as the cases, books, pressing discs etc etc.... and then theres the overhead for the developer... building costs, employee salaries etc etc.

This is the one way that Activision has been so successful with their "assembly line" of games.... they always make DLC and season passes that cannot be sold on the used market, for $20+ to guarantee that games stay as profitable as they can.
Truth be told, the cost of a COD game and the season pass scheme, actually make the games cost around $100 all-in. And with the games being record setting in terms of volume and profitability, its kinda hard to ignore the fact that just ONE game, can have the potential to have a company make a $1billion dollar profit just a few short months after release. Even MW3's $700million 3-day launch window... ONE developer and publisher making that much money in such a short amount of time with only a 1 year and $50million investment.... think of how long a business can run just from those kinds of profits.... and they'd only have to release such a game every few years to continue to stay relevant.   I understand what your saying  but alot if it  50-50 thing  and  timing thing,  cod is popluar game and thats how alot companes are able to get people to jump in  those kinda of deals.  Selling it while it hot and addictive.  the avergae game  say for example  "Haze " wouldnt be able to do that. its  a sucide  plan beucase its a bad game that not hot. even  when 1st debuted  this  format  wouldnt have worked. this plan  good for  a popular title not for a avg title.
Its not a 50/50 thing.... its a guaranteed sale for all copies. The developer/publisher already gets their money from retailers/distributors, its only up to the retailers to make their money back (and then some) for their own profits. This system would guarantee that ANY copy that is used, gets profits the moment it changes hands.

EA is doing it with online passports, and its has done pretty successful.

If Microsoft is also going to be doing this then guess what? Its not a "making their own noose" if everyone else is going to do it.... because with that sort of reasoning, the gaming industry as a whole would collapse for the most part. At least for console gamers. well  all i can  they are rumored to be doing it as well  for nex xbox console  so  i suppose the   gaming industry is going to change. it rumored apple has a huge announcenet this year, also   valve . this why  i think sony has got that digital  steam deal done which is very smart plan/ move . I dont know  what   wii and  xbox is going to do. but it better be smart.

The first 3 Socom games were the best made by Zipper.... it wasn't until COD4:MW that Zipper was FORCED to try new things to bring more people to play Socom games, and it backfired on them. This is why Zipper wasn't profitable afterwards and why they tried something very new with MAG, this is also why Slant Six was brought in to make Confrontation, which was quite good IMO. But lets not make this completely about the developer... SOCOM belongs to Sony, and it was ultimately Sony that made them change the game- LOL  dont let socom  fourm poster tombstone see this one he  would eat you for breakfast!!  Smiley Happy.. I have been around socom from the start osf socom i mostly played for  sp and  some mp and  what your saying is only half true.  socom 3 was not  a very successful game  , socom started changing in  socom 2, some of it good  and some  of it bad, each editon  of socom  since socom 2002 has lost  1million gamers each time becuase of  drastic change .  the shooter  industry was changing but  socom was still out selling alot aaa shooting  games that  are big name  titles  today that is fact..  Also  zipper wanted to make that  game  socom 4 games like that , they  wanted change since socom 3 they alwys  screamed change  and etc.  the fan like my self  begged them to listen go back to classic. they  didnt want to  do that.  so it alot issues beyond sony made then do  a game like this  or that.  ZIpper is  record saying they wanted to make socom like that. Nothing with  change but they forgot the core of what made socom franchise a  great franchise.

Its not a 50/50 thing.... its a guaranteed sale for all copies. The developer/publisher already gets their money from retailers/distributors, its only up to the retailers to make their money back (and then some) for their own profits. This system would guarantee that ANY copy that is used, gets profits the moment it changes hands-   go back to my  1st post to you..   i dont think it can be done and your looking at is  alot  of law suits if does get done..  I look what your saying is if take a game to a cousin house ( not game stop),  once pop that game in his console  the dev get royalties.?  what if i sell it  to him or give it to him  how   does  the dev get roylaitesis that  violation  of law??..  One I put the game in   his console and it verfied not  to work is it considerd a  pirated  games.  I think  this day and  age  they will  track it back  to who tried to come online/ofline when i go online regardless of the title with  the console and issue a  console ban or w/e it maybe.

now this  will violate consumers law. "you have right to own property you pay for and  being sole owner" , i understand it work both ways, but once i buy it  i can  do what ever i want to with  it.   I  can make speggatti with it  if I  wanted,  i can give it away for free if i wanted.  when  i  buy a pair of  rebook running shoes. Im nothing more a billboards ad technically speaking from the purchase.   all   a bill board ad does is  use the  the look it dont really own  the look or item. It just promotion  with  purchase consent not written consent. reebook own  all the   real  property and etc. . Same  thing with a game  once they start doing  trade roylaites in  interfer  with pvt owner ship.   You cant give it away and  a tax will moslt likely happen,becuase  people want the right to give it away   and the devs have to get there cut.. it would kill gaming industry  also music also cars. every  thing actually.

humor* This  law could qualify for giving a child half  your sandwhich.. becuase  you didnt give wonder bread it  cut of roylites at the family  picknik  or   etc.  That  may sound silly but when come to money  people arent  playing they will do  it.!!

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 30 of 152 (103 Views)
0 Likes