Treasure Hunter
7118 posts

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 5, 2013

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

Alot of you have this wrong, it's much worst then you think... 

Your not looking at the big picture here... 

Sony doesn't just want to stop Renting, & Used Games, they want to end CD's entirely... 

Think about it, what happens if you put a brand New Game on your PS3, & then the PS3 Breaks... 

Now you get a New PS3, but wait, you already put your game on the old PS3... 

Thus your New Game is already used, & will not work with the New PS3... 

Weather Game Stop will agree to this, or not... It won't matter, Sony is going to put them outta Buisness... 

Who knows, Sony might just take over, !@_@! 

That 21st Of December wasn't far off, it really is the end... ~_~ 

----------------

What next? After they Didgetalize their Games, whats from stopping them from Jacking up the Prices... 

Since they'll have all the power at their very hands... 

It's not like you can just switch Companies, since other Companies would probably follow shortly behind... 

I mean it could possibly be the end of Gamming as we know it... !@_@! 

Your all probably thinking i'm nutz, what am I on... Just you wait, i'll be somewhere saying I told ya so, lOl... 

---------------------- 

When Max Payne 3 Came out, & I had to call up Rock Star about my issues... 

They told me that Sony was running the show, & that the Online & Rock Star Passes were just the beginning... 

Well now I know what they mean, lOl... The Beginning Of The End, !@_@!

ahh.. the essence of free market.   theres a thing called consumer law and market value price. and  the  very good  thing  about its  someone alwys beat you  to the market in  area in some kind of way , wether it a big on or small one..   some call it compititetion

As  we all  go back and forwards about digital price on console and what right,  the pc  is arleady there with a price,( steam  online, etc etc.). They  have already  created the  price clmate an enviroment.  It would be foolish  to kick in the market with higher prices when the other   starting markets have already have a price  climate of lower for the same thing.   In small you lose  alot of  sales in alot of ways,  very critical to the structure of the buisness to anything.

So  Im  not  really worried if game stop get theirs.I   heard some real nasty thing  being siad about playstation from them  and how  they do policy versus playstaion in some areas,  I say let them learn, maybe they will shape and stop trying nckel and dime people all the time in greed.Because they are reason for this and these events today.. But to be honest the gaming market alawys change after 20 yrs or so.

i think gamestop ceo and exec have  good degrees and they  have a financail survial plan. i don t  think they will be going away that easy . But if they so ILl  say it karma..   RIght or wrong it still karma.. they should have known better sony  has been around longer and   you cant   change a old dog and run him out his  yard, he will fight..

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 91 of 152 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 5, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

DragonIrons wrote:

lol werent' they 800 bucks a pop at launch? And yes they were flying off shelves, of course people were getting more then one to sell them for over 1000 a pop on Ebay to some bigger idiot who didn't wait to see if it had problems.

well i paid  800 for mines, mind  you.   it was hard to get in nyc man night  one man..  . I dont   think you calling people idiots becuase  they did,  serve a purpose in the debate.  alot   of things you  pay  for  everyday  are priced  over  the limit of worth ,that  doesnt make you a idiot or does by own standard.? of course these are your rules nd your opinion  but igues you dont  own up to that ..  lol

. If its hard to get you  will pay  what  they  dam  heck they are charging if there is  its  a shortage.. i dont regret it , it was money well spent.. nothing will beat the feeling of getting a ps3 on launch day when other where  fighting  for it and  came home  empty handed. There where folks   who flew from california   and canada to nyc to get a ps3 launch  and  went back home with nothing..   cried. fougth  and spit  some even went to  jail that night all for  a ps3.  To know you got  ultmiate prize night one is  hell of a feeling.

You  would nver understand  that.   

Those would be the hardcore gamers and resellers that I spoke of. And as I said  before lanuch day sales are never indictive of long term success for a console as the rate of sales must be steady. WE saw with the PS3 for the first few weeks flying off the shelves becuase of these two groups. However; when these two groups had got thier consoles then PS3's started to sit on store selves hindered by the high price of admission; lack of games to justify said price;  and the fact that a alternative console sat at over 200 bucks cheaper. And as we all know because of this fact the PS3 in just 3 short years canabilized the profits made by sonys most successful console the PS2.

my console was factory new.  For the rest of  what  you  stated thats  your opinion and it granted for you. I cannot commentt on that much. But   my console was new not a resell.. Factory  new.  got it. good  Smiley Happy  thank you .

What are you talking about? Maybe you should of been paying attention in English class to brush up on your reading comprehension skills rather than waiting to buy a PS3. I never said all consoles from the PS3 launch were resells and stated that the hardcore gamer bought these consoles to not resale them as well. Which is why I described both markets. PS3's didn't move after the intial expected open day sales rush and is why the PS3 struggled during the first half of this gen; until the prices came down and better games were made.

HUH?   you made a sly  smart mouth statement to    me on the sly  and i kindly  corrected you  and your asking me to  improve  my reading  comprehension.?

I didnt say anything about a resell > nothing what so ever..  let me find out you been in liqiour  cabniets sir.. shame on  youSmiley Mad

What sly comment did I make? I stated that both hardcore gamers and resellers bought consoles at launch. I also seperated the two groups meaning that hardcore gamers bought thiers to keep as you said you did yourself; and resellers bought thiers so they can mark up the price on ebay and make a big profit which we saw for the first few weeks after the release of the PS3. I also stated that the PS3 then struggled to sale after these intinal markets got thier consoles because the price of admission was not a viable sale to the middling and casuel gamer which sustains the long term health of a console. Also you did address resells in your comment "my console was new not a resell.. Factory  new.  got it. good  Smiley Happy  thank you ."   Prehaps you may of confused me and DragonIrons comments.

As a aside I don't drink alchol which you can likely see due to the first part of my PSN name lol.

Message 92 of 152 (184 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 5, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

DragonIrons wrote:

lol werent' they 800 bucks a pop at launch? And yes they were flying off shelves, of course people were getting more then one to sell them for over 1000 a pop on Ebay to some bigger idiot who didn't wait to see if it had problems.

well i paid  800 for mines, mind  you.   it was hard to get in nyc man night  one man..  . I dont   think you calling people idiots becuase  they did,  serve a purpose in the debate.  alot   of things you  pay  for  everyday  are priced  over  the limit of worth ,that  doesnt make you a idiot or does by own standard.? of course these are your rules nd your opinion  but igues you dont  own up to that ..  lol

. If its hard to get you  will pay  what  they  dam  heck they are charging if there is  its  a shortage.. i dont regret it , it was money well spent.. nothing will beat the feeling of getting a ps3 on launch day when other where  fighting  for it and  came home  empty handed. There where folks   who flew from california   and canada to nyc to get a ps3 launch  and  went back home with nothing..   cried. fougth  and spit  some even went to  jail that night all for  a ps3.  To know you got  ultmiate prize night one is  hell of a feeling.

Those would be the hardcore gamers and resellers that I spoke of. And as I said  before lanuch day sales are never indictive of long term success for a console as the rate of sales must be steady. WE saw with the PS3 for the first few weeks flying off the shelves becuase of these two groups. However; when these two groups had got thier consoles then PS3's started to sit on store selves hindered by the high price of admission; lack of games to justify said price;  and the fact that a alternative console sat at over 200 bucks cheaper. And as we all know because of this fact the PS3 in just 3 short years canabilized the profits made by sonys most successful console the PS2.

my console was factory new.  For the rest of  what  you  stated thats  your opinion and it granted for you. I cannot commentt on that much. But   my console was new not a resell.. Factory  new.  got it. good  Smiley Happy  thank you .

What are you talking about? Maybe you should of been paying attention in English class to brush up on your reading comprehension skills rather than waiting to buy a PS3. I never said all consoles from the PS3 launch were resells and stated that the hardcore gamer bought these consoles to not resale them as well. Which is why I described both markets. PS3's didn't move after the intial expected open day sales rush and is why the PS3 struggled during the first half of this gen; until the prices came down and better games were made.

HUH?   you made a sly  smart mouth statement to    me on the sly  and i kindly  corrected you  and your asking me to  improve  my reading  comprehension.?

I didnt say anything about a resell > nothing what so ever..  let me find out you been in liqiour  cabniets sir.. shame on  youSmiley Mad

What sly comment did I make? I stated that both hardcore gamers and resellers bought consoles at launch. I also seperated the two groups meaning that hardcore gamers bought thiers to keep as you said you did yourself; and resellers bought thiers so they can mark up the price on ebay and make a big profit which we saw for the first few weeks after the release of the PS3. I also stated that the PS3 then struggled to sale after these intinal markets got thier consoles because the price of admission was not a viable sale to the middling and casuel gamer which sustains the long term health of a console. Also you did address resells in your comment "my console was new not a resell.. Factory  new.  got it. good  Smiley Happy  thank you ."   Prehaps you may of confused me and DragonIrons comments.

As a aside I don't drink alchol which you can likely see due to the first part of my PSN name lol.

From what I have seen, whenever you write above McButtz's reading level (which is easy to do) he may critize you. He has called me a "slick talker" several times. This is from a person who claims to have 2 college degrees and to have graduated in the top 5% of his class!  

Message 93 of 152 (179 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1820 posts

Jan 5, 2013

I'm not saying they would, just saying they could, & it would kill Gamming, especially if other Companies followed with the same idea... 

Actually, the Car anolagy is a perfect example... You people are just thinking it through, too hard... 

It's simple... Major Car Companies cause a situation where smaller companies cannot get a hold of used Parts to fix older Cars... 

thus when an old Car breaks down, your now stuck in a situation where you cannot get it fixed, so you'll have to buy a New Car, since you can't afford one, eventually we all just end up in Horse & Buggy Stage... 

Again, thats if you use the same Patent idea for Cars or whatever... 

Anywas, enough about Cars... 

If i'm not mistaken, PS Plus Members would not be effected at all by this, because all their Games are already Didgetalized... 

It's those who are still using CD's, I was going to quit at the end of last year, cause I hated where Games were going, & I just felt it was time, but since they came out with All-Stars, & I never had a Game like that before, I figured it couldn't hurt, i'll just wait for New Years... Now I am getting GTA 5, which suprisingly is my all time fave Game, & the fact it was based off San Andreas... 

Some how I think I always knew GTA would be my final Game, lOlz... 

But to the fact this is being discussed, only makes me want to Quit Buying Games, even more now, then before... 

This right here, will for sure be my final payment in Gamming... 

I will still continue to Play, but no more Spending... 

Thus, I don't need to worry about this Pattent anymore, seeing I am not Supporting it, nor will I be buying anything to Support it, 

there for if this goes through, at least you can't blame me, lOl... 

I chose a Perfect time to Quit, & it couldn't of came at a better time, !>_<! 

---------------

Btw, if Sony puts Game Stop outta Buisness, they better not Replace them with a Sony Store, ~_~ 

Because thats the only thing I could possibly see keeping Sony from Bankruptcy at that point... 

That is the problem with Game Stop, Sony doesn't need them anymore, they got enough Funds, 

they could just open their own Stores to sell their Consoles with... 

The Question is, would they go that far? I tend to wander, oO

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 94 of 152 (173 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29407 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 5, 2013

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

I'm not saying they would, just saying they could, & it would kill Gamming, especially if other Companies followed with the same idea... 

Actually, the Car anolagy is a perfect example... You people are just thinking it through, too hard... 

(No, the car analogy is NOT a "perfect example", and it still won't be no matter how many times you repeat it)

It's simple... Major Car Companies cause a situation where smaller companies cannot get a hold of used Parts to fix older Cars... 

(Once again, "gamers" demonstrate they know nothing about cars. Many companies contract out parts manufacturing to other companies like Bosch and Hella. The reason why smaller companies don't manufacture certain parts are patented, and they aren't licensed to make them, and in some cases it's too expensive for other companies to make those parts)

thus when an old Car breaks down, your now stuck in a situation where you cannot get it fixed, so you'll have to buy a New Car, since you can't afford one, eventually we all just end up in Horse & Buggy Stage... 

(I want you to actually READ what you just wrote, and let you see just how ASININE it is. You can get parts for older cars. Some may be more difficult than others, but they are out there. Many parts for older cars are now made in countries like South Africa. Peugeot hasn't sold a car in the United States in over two decades, but you can still get those parts. Again, just because you repeat doesn't mean it will eventually be "true").

(Yes, because we don't need to further demonstrate what I've been saying all along)

If i'm not mistaken, PS Plus Members would not be effected at all by this, because all their Games are already Didgetalized... 

It's those who are still using CD's, I was going to quit at the end of last year, cause I hated where Games were going, & I just felt it was time, but since they came out with All-Stars, & I never had a Game like that before, I figured it couldn't hurt, i'll just wait for New Years... Now I am getting GTA 5, which suprisingly is my all time fave Game, & the fact it was based off San Andreas... 

(And yet gamers themselves will render the deathblow to used games,  by embracing digital distribution, and "cloud" gaming, and ironically they have no problem with those seeds of pre-owned destruction they've sewn)

(You're not kidding anyone. You won't give up video games. Gamers aren't going to abandon their favorite hobby and start reading, or even... dare I say it... go outside! They'll complain, but they will invariabley come back as sure as the tides will rise). 

But to the fact this is being discussed, only makes me want to Quit Buying Games, even more now, then before... 

(No it won't be)

(You're not fooling anyone.)

Thus, I don't need to worry about this Pattent anymore, seeing I am not Supporting it, nor will I be buying anything to Support it, 

(I CAN blame you actually. You love the IDEA of saving money more than actually saving money, and the quick turn around that GameStop offers, rather than selling games yourself)

(You'll be back)

---------------

Btw, if Sony puts Game Stop outta Buisness, they better not Replace them with a Sony Store, ~_~ 

Because thats the only thing I could possibly see keeping Sony from Bankruptcy at that point... 

(Obviously you don't pay attention to the movies, because Skyfall just raked in a BILLION dollars worldwide, making it the BIGGEST grossing 007 movie ever. And no, it's not a "video game based movie", James Bond existed long before video games)

That is the problem with Game Stop, Sony doesn't need them anymore, they got enough Funds, 

(Why would Sony "need" GameStop? To cut into their profits? In case you haven't noticed, video games are a BUSINESS. The real problem is that "gamers" don't believe it is.)

(Not far enough. At the very least, use Spell Check.)

Message 95 of 152 (163 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 5, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

DragonIrons wrote:

Anyone that paid more than $600 (before sales tax) for a PS3 at launch got gouged, because the MSRP was $600 for the 60GB and $500 for the 20GB. 

I doubt that anyone flew in to other parts of the country to NYC to pick up a PS3, when they were released nationwide (albeit not in great quantity initially)...

Message 96 of 152 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7118 posts

Jan 5, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

DragonIrons wrote:

Anyone that paid more than $600 (before sales tax) for a PS3 at launch got gouged, because the MSRP was $600 for the 60GB and $500 for the 20GB. 

I doubt that anyone flew in to other parts of the country to NYC to pick up a PS3, when they were released nationwide (albeit not in great quantity initially)...

like i said you'll never understand.  You  know people go see music artist when they album debut  release party as well but their album are in store world wide.. and much  higher than the store that  night as well  as well. But let not go into that becuase  you wouldnt understand the point of that.

Mcbuttz78

Message 97 of 152 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7118 posts

Jan 5, 2013

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

---------------

i  dont think its a just  sony thing, everybody is going online  wii u is online, the next   xbox is online..  apple ia rumored to be making  annnoucement   this e3 of something,  valve is on record with  a online service coming. 

pc gaming  is online mostly now.. alot  of  small time devs are doing direct purchase from them the content..  gaming changes every 20 yrs or so.  That market that game stop runs  will  be gone after some time  regardless of  what anyone does. it more of tech  thig more than  sony or whome ver  vs gamestop thing.. But i wont cry a tear for them.. why should anyone , all the time they ripped gamers off with  out ragous policy practices.

the mom and pop store  will hurt the most but i think with the hand held  market will keep them afloat.

Mcbuttz78

Message 98 of 152 (148 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7118 posts

Jan 5, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

muslimsk8r wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

DragonIrons wrote:

ok,    sorry for the mix up

Mcbuttz78

Message 99 of 152 (147 Views)
MVP Support
18928 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 6, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Xuchilbara wrote:

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

I understand that companies patent stuff all the time and a patent doesn't equate to implementation. It's an idea and Sony filed to legal protection on this idea.

That said, if Sony or any other game console manufacturer does implement technology that blocks me from being able to play used games or a friends game then I will in all liklihood not purchase that console. 

Console manufacturers can steer their product anyway they like and obviously in the direction that is most benificial to their bottomline. As a consumer I can opt not to support the direction of a console manufacturer by not purchasing their product. It's really as simple as that. 

Exactly, it is a simple as that.

For me it will be a dusking era to see such/similar technology be fully implemented. I'm from the NES era but I was first introduced to gaming via a  Atari 2600. Going over a friend's house to play video games, bringing over a game or vice versa,  has been part of my gaming experience throughout the years. Pacman, Metal Gear, Contra, Double Dragon, Karate... [The memories] After that it's the fact that you don't truly own the digital content you buy, so seeing this model making its way to tangible copies just brings more darkness to the already dusking era.

Throughout the years I've come to like & respect SONY for what they've brought forward to the gaming industry, hardware & software wise. Sure they have screwed us before, but they have make up for their mistakes or at least try to. To me, they are the best choice in the console-base gaming model.

At the end SONY is a board of directors & a pack of lawyers; it is theirs and they can do as they see fit.

Is that any different than ANY other company? I don't know how it got started, but there seems to be this feeling that video games makers are supposed to be driven by this alturistic motivation to bring games to the masses, and they're supposed to be living in poverty and exist soley for the benefit of the "community". It's a crock. It is and always has been a business. The only difference between early days and now is the dollar amount is a whole hell of a lot bigger.

There's the old saying; Nothing personal, but this is business. EVERYTHING comes down to business. The NBA, NFL, music, movies, electronics, cars, food, etc. The Knicks got rid of Patrick Ewing late in his career, and I didn't say that "the Knicks have betrayed their fans, I'm not going to be a fan anymore". 

The gamer community is almost like the punk rockers of the 1970's, where they looked at success with scorn and branded anyone who made money as "a sellout". Elvis Costello said in an interview for the series The History of Rock N' Roll that people always admired him because he didn't do things for the money. He said quite frankly "I was 30 years old. I was working as a computer programmer in London. I had a wife. I had a kid. I had a house. I had a mortgage. If I was going to be a musican, it was going to have to pay like a regular job. So yeah I did things for the money. Who wouldn't?". I think there needs to be the same epiphany in the gamer community before the industry can really mature.

I agree with everything you said, which is why I said what I said. Using products from SONY or any other company means that you, as the end-user, agree to their TOS.  It is theirs company and as the market, technology changes, they to can change. They don't need our approval to do anything. All they need care about is producing goods that stand out in today's competitive market & ensuring it appeals to enough consumers to keep their business profitable.

---

I don't know how it got started, but there seems to be this feeling that video games makers are supposed to be driven by this alturistic motivation to bring games to the masses, and they're supposed to be living in poverty and exist soley for the benefit of the "community".

Yeah, I see that too. This thread is filled with comments from: young gamers who just can't afford to buy all their games new, gamers who just care about being able to play their disc-based games on multiple consoles, game collectors or those who hope to be able to sell their games in the future [of course this is thinking ahead, current disc games have no support for this tech]  & those talking about cars Smiley Very Happy     Then there is the vast sense of betrayal.

In my case, I don't feel betrayed nor let down, what I feel is the possibility of being left behind. I'm one of those who refuses the undeniable, inevitable digital only distribution of software. Reading about a patent [though it provides no details, moreover, the fact that it is too early to be assuming anything] that can limit disc-based games, as much as, or, more than, digital copies of a games.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 100 of 152 (142 Views)