Jan 03 2013
By: Arkthur_us I Only Post Everything 1042 posts

New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

[ Edited ]
151 replies 836 views Edited Jan 3, 2013

Source

Sony has reportedly patented technology that will prevent the use of second hand games on consoles.

According to NeoGAF member gofreak, the patent application was filed on 9 December 2012 by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, and will work by linking individual game discs to a user's account without requiring a network connection meaning any future attempt to use this disc on another user's console won't work.

The patent explains that games will come with contactless tags that will be read by your console in much the same way as modern bank cards. When a disc is first used, the disc ID and player ID will be stored on the tag. Every time the disc is used in future, the tag will check if the two ID’s match up and, if not, then the disc won’t work.

The document goes on to explain that such a device is part of Sony's ongoing efforts to deter second-hand games sales, and is a far simpler solution than always-on DRM or passwords.

It's worth noting that Sony has not confirmed the existence of the device, and the patent doesn't state what machine it will be used in, with later paragraphs also mentioning accessories and peripherals.

It does raise some concerns though. Firstly, the impact on game rental stores would be catastrophic as surely this means they'd no longer be able to do business? Given publishers' usual desire to keep retailers sweet by not undercutting them on prices and the like, this would be an unusual move.

There's also the issue of what happens should your console break and need replacing, or if you have more than one console. Will the games be linked to your PSN account, meaning they can still be used, or the console, meaning an entire new library of titles would need to be purchased?

IGN reached out to Sony for comment but was told the company doesn't comment on rumour and speculation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't buy used games but man this is going to hit hard to some people.

This reminds me of a friend who said that the future was you only need to buy one disc, install the game, and pass it to another person so they install it in their console too. I must have argued with him for a whole hour telling him how stupid this idea was and that game companies wont willingly loose money. Guess I must show him this article now eh?

Leave your thoughts.

Message 1 of 152 (836 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4292 posts

Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Jan 3, 2013
If true I will buy the next generation Xbox instead of the PS4.
Message 2 of 152 (828 Views)
Sackboy
573 posts

Jan 3, 2013

welcome to the 21st century, its a brave new world in which we live.

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Message 3 of 152 (822 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 3, 2013

If they pull this nonsense I am out. This just isn't used game sales but game rental services like gamefly, or social aspects like taking games over to your friends house or trading games with said friends. The only way this goes through is if sony and thier publishers drop prices of games form the 59.99 they are now to 29.99 that most of the games coming out are worth nowadays anyways. This is unacceptable behavior from a consumer standpoint and will be voting with my wallet; I hope everyone else has the good sense to do the same.

Message 4 of 152 (814 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jan 3, 2013
I read this on IGN, now i Mostly play Xbox, but to hear i wont be able to rent games from gamefly, Thats gonna kill Sony's Reputation not to mention there gonna start hurting financially with-in a year.
I honestly hope Microsoft doesn't do this, because if Sony and Microsoft do this well hello Video game crash of 2013/2014
Message 5 of 152 (804 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 3, 2013
This issue has come up before.

Just because Sony patents something doesn't mean that it will come to fruition.

If Sony does go along with this, they will be alienating the 2nd largest gaming retailer in the US, GameStop, which makes most of their money selling used games. GameStop would probably refuse to carry any more Sony products if this happens.

Besides I remember Jack Tretton stating, when this issue came up before, that he is opposed to blocking used games. However corporate in Japan might have a different view.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2012/05/14/sonys-jack-tretton-against-consoles-blocking-used-games/
Message 6 of 152 (800 Views)
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 3, 2013
Agreed Used games are a huge part of the "video game culture" always has been and likely will be. Microsoft has already made massive gains in the console department ( thanks to early mismangement of the PS3 by sony). Sony can't afford to make a mistake like this. This doesn't only make them a laughing stock of the hardcore community but will also turn off the casuel market ( which in all honesty props the gaming market up in the first place).
Message 7 of 152 (799 Views)
Fender Bender
2801 posts

Jan 3, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

If they pull this nonsense I am out. This just isn't used game sales but game rental services like gamefly, or social aspects like taking games over to your friends house or trading games with said friends. The only way this goes through is if sony and thier publishers drop prices of games form the 59.99 they are now to 29.99 that most of the games coming out are worth nowadays anyways. This is unacceptable behavior from a consumer standpoint and will be voting with my wallet; I hope everyone else has the good sense to do the same.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If this is true places like Gamestop and Gamefly would be run out of buisness (and I just got a job at a gamestop for now too....). And like the other guy said...... what if my PS4 breaks down and I have to get a new one? If the disc is linked to ONE console I'd have to rebuy EVERY GAME..... I dont' think so Sony. If you actually go through with this you're the biggest bunch of morons I have EVER SEEN, and I willl be going to Microcrap's Xbox720 or whatever as well.................

Message 8 of 152 (798 Views)
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 3, 2013

I do remember back in 2005 rumors of this showing up in the PS3. However, thing have changed. The economy has gotten bad and game developers are putting up more vocal oppsition to second hand games. I don't harbor the hatered towards gamestop that many people have and go thier for pretty much all my gaming needs. To see them go would hurt the industry badly.

Message 9 of 152 (792 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2801 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 3, 2013

muslimsk8r wrote:

I do remember back in 2005 rumors of this showing up in the PS3. However, thing have changed. The economy has gotten bad and game developers are putting up more vocal oppsition to second hand games. I don't harbor the hatered towards gamestop that many people have and go thier for pretty much all my gaming needs. To see them go would hurt the industry badly.

If the game devs would stop charging so much for new games alot of us wouldnt' WAIT to buy them used...... The ONLY games I've bought new were games that were WORTH the money..... huge games like Skyrim (even with it's bugs from hell).  Games you can beat in one day?.... sorry but that's only worth about $20 or so. Or a rent....... I'd say about 90% of my games (46 now) for the PS3 were bought used on Amazon or gamestop.  How they can think every single game is worth 60 bucks (even if you can beat it in 5 hours) is beyond me. Hell one game I got NEW recently from Amazon themselves for 30 bucks.... I just saw in Best Buy the other day for 60 still. They cant' even keep appraised of prices. I got it for 30 on amazon (and no i don't remember which game lol, i've gotten quite a few recently) and it was like 40 new at gamestop..... Best Buy is NEVER the Best Buy. I've seen it in alot more then games. Hell I just got a new phone system for the house there for $45 then a week later saw it at staples for $29...... not gonna bother getting the price match difference refunded though... Best Buy needs to change their name, seriously. And i don't know why that turned into a best buy rant lol...

Oh and on the topic of my first sentence....... Another reason I wait to buy used or just wait.... I wait for GOTY or FULL editions to come out then wait a bit more and get THEM cheaper. Sorry Devs, but this DLC stuff is b.s. half the time it's not even new content like an expansion, it's already ON the disc. Sometimes it's even cheaper to buy the game used AND buy the DLC then get the game new.....

Message 10 of 152 (769 Views)