Aug 21 2011
By: comatosevessel Lombax Warrior 183 posts

New Playstation 3 Wireless Stereo (7.1 Surround Sound) Headset

69 replies 1217 views Edited Aug 21, 2011

New Playstation 3 Wireless Stereo (7.1 Surround Sound) Headset:

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/wireless-stereo-headset-ps3.html

Why wouldn't they make these work with Blu-Ray Movies?  Why would they do that?  Is it some technical non-sense?

Message 1 of 70 (1,217 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28841 posts

Re: New Playstation 3 Wireless Stereo (7.1 Surround Sound) Headset

Aug 21, 2011

Because none of the engineers at Sony R&D said to themselves, "With everyone installing home theater systems, with 7.1 surround sound, and LED screens, we better make sure movies can be heard on the SMALLEST speakers possible".

The headset is for playing games, not for watching movies. Really, now I'm at a complete and utter loss here. Why is it that gamers always seem to want something to do what it's not designed for, and then act as if it's some kind of insult when it doesn't do it? Someone explain this to me.

Message 2 of 70 (1,217 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Aug 21, 2011

Just a question man, don't get too worked up.  I'm not really insulted.  In my opinion it just kind of sucks, I mean there used as headsets for games why wouldn't they just do it for movies too.  Plus, I do have a surround sound system, it is 5.1 not 7.1 I just figured it would be nice to use those while watching movies and not have to disturb any one that may be sleeping or retarded neighbors, being something I can't change.

Message 3 of 70 (1,217 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28841 posts

Aug 21, 2011

comatosevessel wrote:

Just a question man, don't get too worked up.  I'm not really insulted.  In my opinion it just kind of sucks, I mean there used as headsets for games why wouldn't they just do it for movies too.  Plus, I do have a surround sound system, it is 5.1 not 7.1 I just figured it would be nice to use those while watching movies and not have to disturb any one that may be sleeping or retarded neighbors, being something I can't change.

Update: Bro, you already have your wish! Check the page again;

"Enjoy hi-fidelity sound while watching your favorite movie."

So right on! Problem solved!! Yeah, no surround sound, but hey take the good with the bad. Maybe it's too difficult to implement on a small headset like this.

Message 4 of 70 (1,217 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Aug 22, 2011

I'll report back in this thread after in comes to me in the mail and I test it out.  Yeah, I believe you can only simulate surrond sound due to the fact that you only have two speakers pumping out the sound so the best it can do is make sound that pumps out from the usual speakers from the back or the sides of a normal surround sound to sound like it's behind you and not as loud as stuff pumping through up front of one.

Message 5 of 70 (1,217 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Aug 22, 2011

I agree with you, OP.  That sounds like a pretty standard thing to leave out.  I just recently moved from a duplex with a crazy chick next door that loved to call the cops when my subwoofer was on.  Granted, great sound on my video games would be my first concern  For the money I'd rather have one that would cover every 7.1 form of media that I throw at it.  I'd even rather just have a wired headset.  There are bound to be better solutions. 

>FIGHT
MAGIC
SUMMON
ITEM
*Bring it back.

Message 6 of 70 (1,217 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Aug 22, 2011

Yeah Neo, I was wondering that maybe an actual direct connection might provide an even more clear sound, but this wireless could be just as good.  It would be neat if they also had an optional direct connection.  We shall see when I get the thing in my grubby little paws.

Message 7 of 70 (1,217 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Aug 22, 2011

Good luck with it.  I was just doing some googling and it's looking like there aren't going to be many options that are under $150, and even those are somewhat flawed. 

>FIGHT
MAGIC
SUMMON
ITEM
*Bring it back.

Message 8 of 70 (1,217 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28841 posts

Aug 22, 2011

NeoHumpty wrote:

Good luck with it.  I was just doing some googling and it's looking like there aren't going to be many options that are under $150, and even those are somewhat flawed. 

>FIGHT MAGIC SUMMON ITEM *Bring it back.

That was probably one of the things they took into consideration. Keep the price at around $100. Any higher and you price yourself out of the market.

Message 9 of 70 (1,217 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 2, 2011

Hello... I speech French so I will do the best a can!!! I have a ps3 fat with 2 USB port or the CECHL01 model. My question is: can I buy this headset for my kind of ps3??? Because its write ``80 gb model (CECHE01)``­­­! So please anwser my question please... I will very apreciate!! Thanks

Message 10 of 70 (1,217 Views)
0 Likes