Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 28 2011
By: mybloodhurts312 First Son 2 posts
Accepted Solution

New PSP and old memory stick

4 replies 127 views Edited Sep 28, 2011

I had a first-gen PSP with a couple PSN games downloaded on it. Since I wanted to continue using those games, and their save data, I kept using the same memory stick when I got my new PSP 3000. After jumping through 9 million hoops to get the games activated on the new PSP, which ended up in having to delete and download them again through PSN, it's occurred to me that I should probably deactivate the Old PSP. I still have the Old PSP, but I'm using the same memory stick in the New PSP. (That is, I only have one memory stick between them. I lost the old spare…)

Of course, now when I try to sign into the PSN on the Old PSP, it demands that I update the system software before letting me in at all. …When all I want to do is deactivate the account.

Now, it can't update without a memory stick in it. My question is: if I use the same memory stick when deactivating the account on the Old PSP, will it also deactivate my account data for the New PSP, because I'm using the same memory stick for both? Am I going to have to reformat and redownload everything AGAIN? Or would it work to get a cheapo memory stick just to proceed with the update and deactivate the account on Old PSP? What's the best way to go?

Googled and searched forms extensively but can't find anything about this particular issue… I guess no one else was dumb enough to use an old memory stick in a new device without wiping first. Thanks for any hints.

Message 1 of 5 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Re: New PSP and old memory stick

Sep 29, 2011

mybloodhurts312 wrote:

I had a first-gen PSP with a couple PSN games downloaded on it. Since I wanted to continue using those games, and their save data, I kept using the same memory stick when I got my new PSP 3000. After jumping through 9 million hoops to get the games activated on the new PSP, which ended up in having to delete and download them again through PSN, it's occurred to me that I should probably deactivate the Old PSP. I still have the Old PSP, but I'm using the same memory stick in the New PSP. (That is, I only have one memory stick between them. I lost the old spare…)

Of course, now when I try to sign into the PSN on the Old PSP, it demands that I update the system software before letting me in at all. …When all I want to do is deactivate the account.

Now, it can't update without a memory stick in it. My question is: if I use the same memory stick when deactivating the account on the Old PSP, will it also deactivate my account data for the New PSP, because I'm using the same memory stick for both? Am I going to have to reformat and redownload everything AGAIN? Or would it work to get a cheapo memory stick just to proceed with the update and deactivate the account on Old PSP? What's the best way to go?

Googled and searched forms extensively but can't find anything about this particular issue… I guess no one else was dumb enough to use an old memory stick in a new device without wiping first. Thanks for any hints.

No, it wont. What you can do though is download the firmware update onto the memory stick and upgrade the old PSP and then remove the stick and then connect to the PSN to deactivated it.

Or you could just plug your old PSP into a PC with the USB cable, browse to Qriosity.com on the PC and then sign in using your PSN ID and deactivate you PSP from there.

Message 2 of 5 (127 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 1, 2011

Thank you! It didn't occur to me that I'd be able to log into PSN without a memory stick in the device, since you usually need memory in there to do anything. All good and deactivated now.

Message 3 of 5 (127 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 3, 2011

I wasn't sure how to make a new thread.  Maybe someone can post this so that as MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE WHO ARE THINKING OF BUYING A PSP GO CAN READ THIS!!!!

*WARNING*

I bought a PSP Go not even a year ago.  It worked great up until a week or so ago when I began having charging problems.  It will charge and charge but never get full.  Only 2 bars.  So I called Sony to find out if anyone else had this problem as the battery is supposed to last 2 YEARS OR MORE.  My PSP Go is still under warranty, but I do not have the reciept from the store I purchased it.  Sony said it will cost me $135.00 to have it sent in, battery replaced, and sent back.  I asked him if he realized that I can almost buy a new one for that much and he said "yes".  This is utterly disgusting to me as I only had the PSP Go for only 10 months!!!!!!  PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS RIP OFF MACHINE.  STICK TO THE OLDER PSP MODELS!!!  You can not just "buy" a new battery for it.  You MUST SEND IT IN TO SONY TO HAVE THE BATTERY REPLACED.....so please if you do buy one, KEEP YOUR STORE RECEIPT IN A SAFE PLACE, and, oh yeah, be prepared to have Sony replace your battery before ONE YEAR.  TOTAL WASTE OF MY MONEY, SONY.  This is absolutely disgraceful on your end.  I will not buy a new one just to have the battery run out in less than a year.  Very very very disapppointing to me.

Message 4 of 5 (127 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Oct 3, 2011

You can make a new discussion by pressing the "Start a new discussion" link in the forum. It's not very intuitive.

Have you tried troubleshooting steps while you were on the phone with Sony? Like using the PSP Go until the battery is empty and charging it back to full again?

You could try getting the tools and the battery, and replacing the battery yourself. iFixit has a visual teardown guide.

To keep a battery functioning well, try to avoid running the battery bone dry and leaving it. Try to keep a moderate state of charge in the battery. If the battery is full, then disconnect the PSP from the charger when you are not using it.

Message 5 of 5 (127 Views)
0 Likes