Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Re: New PS3 controller will not charge from anything other than the PS3 console

Sep 3, 2011

AdventuresOfNik wrote:

YemeniLuigi wrote:

I always keep my remotes fully charged.  I now have three remotes, and I play with one while charging another.  So two remotes will always be fully charged, and I'll be using the third to play.  When that one starts to run out, I use a different one, or I'll sometimes charge while I'm playing if I don't feel like switching at the moment.

Watashiwa Hagane no Renkinjutsushi!

I do the same! I also have a longer cable for the USB to connect to my console. I can charge while playing if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to switch controllers. I like the freedom of wireless as well, like xpz393 said, but I'm never walking around or going anywhere around my house to even care about the wireless, you know? I'm just sitting in a chair or sitting on my bed or something, since the games are in my bedroom. The wireless is nice, good to not have some wires tangled around your feet and things like that, but I'm able to tolerate it enough to have a wire to charge it. But that's just the way I perfer.

Also, I wasn't aware that you could charge it onto the TivO or something like that! c: I never thought of that, and that seems like an idea that I may try. It never crossed my mind that you could, haha.

Ehh, to me it's easier to just wait for it to say "The battery level on remote 1 is low" for me to start charging it lol.  It was made like for a reason, but I guess TivO's fine.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Don't go around trying to know and do everything.
Message 11 of 16 (254 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Sep 3, 2011

YemeniLuigi wrote:

Ehh, to me it's easier to just wait for it to say "The battery level on remote 1 is low" for me to start charging it lol.  It was made like for a reason, but I guess TivO's fine.

I don't like letting my lithium ion batteries run down too low. The battery lasts the longest when kept in a moderate state of charge, from 20-80%. I don't leave the controllers connected and charging all the time at 100% if they're not being used.

Message 12 of 16 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 3, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

YemeniLuigi wrote:

I don't like letting my lithium ion batteries run down too low. The battery lasts the longest when kept in a moderate state of charge, from 20-80%. I don't leave the controllers connected and charging all the time at 100% if they're not being used.

No, no.  I wait until it's fully charged, then I unplug it.  I don't leave it in there the whole time, even after it's charged.  And I usually don't like waiting (although I did write that earlier) for it to become low on charge because I'm very paranoid about things like that.  I always have to have rechargable batteries fully charged every night.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Don't go around trying to know and do everything.
Message 13 of 16 (254 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 3, 2011

Yep, TiVo charges them brilliantly, as the USB port remains 'powered' even when it's in 'Standby' mode, so it means I can leave the PS3 controller charging without having to specifically have the PS3/PC running just so that it can charge the controller.

Generally, when I've finished with the PS3, I check the battery level, and if it's down to one-bar (less than 25%) I'll stick it on charge on the TiVo whilst watching telly, and keep an eye on the PS3 controller's flashing lights; once they stop flashing (i.e. when it's charged), I unplug it. Simples

Message 14 of 16 (254 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 13, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

Interesting. Do you have an article or anything similar prooving that?

Message 15 of 16 (254 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Nov 13, 2011

Try Battery University. Notable snippets:

Li-ion does not need to be fully charged, as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge, because high voltages stresses the battery. Choosing a lower voltage threshold, or eliminating the saturation charge altogether, prolongs battery life but this reduces the runtime. Since the consumer market promotes maximum runtime, these chargers go for maximum capacity rather than extended service life.

The question is often asked: Should I disconnect my laptop from the power grid when not in use? Under normal circumstances this should not be necessary because once the lithium-ion battery is full, a correctly functioning charger will discontinue the charge and will only engage when the battery voltage drops to a low level. Most users do not remove the AC power, and I like to believe that this practice is safe.

Charging Lithium-Ion, Battery University

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries, Battery University

Message 16 of 16 (254 Views)
0 Likes