Sep 01 2011
By: xpz393 First Son 4 posts
Accepted Solution

New PS3 controller will not charge from anything other than the PS3 console

15 replies 6214 views Edited Sep 1, 2011

I have two existing PS3 controllers which charge fine when plugged into the USB port of my VirginMedia TiVo box or PC.

However, this week I bought a new PS3 160GB slim, and the controller which came with it will not charge when plugged into the TiVo box or PC. It will charge when plugged into the PS3 however.

This might sound trivial, but usually I put my controller(s) on charge after I've finished gaming, so plugging it into the TiVo box/PC is really handy, as otherwise I have to leave the PS3 powered on and wasting electricity just to charge the controller.

Have Sony intentionally prevented newer controllers from being charged by anything other than the actual PS3 console, or could it be a fault with my new controller?

Message 1 of 16 (6,214 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28821 posts

Re: New PS3 controller will not charge from anything other than the PS3 console

Sep 1, 2011

Check the power specs on the controller. They're on the under side of the controller. It could be that the new controllers won't charge on whatever the source is.

Message 2 of 16 (6,214 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Sep 1, 2011

Have you tried the reset button on the back of the controller? Give it a push with the tip of a ballpoint pen. Re-sync it with the PS3 and then see if it will charge from other sources.

Message 3 of 16 (6,214 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 2, 2011

Thanks for the ideas, guys - it's appreciated Also @potatobreath for pointing out the 'reset' button which I didn't know about, as I'm sure that tip will be useful in future.

This *might* be sorted... After about 30min continuous charge on the PS3, I tried plugging the controller back into the TiVo box to see if it'd continue charging, and it DID!

So, maybe the new controllers just need a while connected to the PS3 to "get them going"... I'll use it until it's running low, then try connecting it to the TiVo and hopefully it'll just work.

Message 4 of 16 (6,214 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 2, 2011

Wait; I thought you can ONLY charge your remotes to a PS3 system.  But then again, the only other place I tried to charge it in was my computer.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Don't go around trying to know and do everything.
Message 5 of 16 (6,214 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Sep 2, 2011

Theoretically, you can charge it with anything that offers a USB port that puts out 5V. You could probably even try a car cigarette lighter charger with a USB port end too.

I had a look at my controllers. The sticker on the back of the controller isn't particularly informative because it says it wants 300 mA at DC 3.7 V. I assume that describes the battery, because USB is at 5V. There's probably a circuit to reduce voltage and charge the battery inside the controller.

Message 6 of 16 (6,214 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 3, 2011

Ehh I'm perfectly fine with charging it in my PS3 while I'm playing.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Message 7 of 16 (6,214 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 3, 2011

I love your practical logic on this one

Unfortunately for me, there are two reasons I don't do this:

1. The PS3 console is much too far away from my seating to allow me to keep it attached. I know I could buy a longer cable, but I like the freedom of wireless - others must be in the same situation.

2. When I put any device on charge, I like to ensure it gets a full/unbroken charge as over time, this will give the battery a better/longer life. I know the newer Li-Ion batteries are much less (some would argue not-at-all) prone to battery 'memory', but if I can achieve a full charge, by plugging into a device that's always on anyway (i.e. my TiVo) then it's just easier.

Message 8 of 16 (6,214 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 3, 2011

xpz393 wrote:

I love your practical logic on this one

Unfortunately for me, there are two reasons I don't do this:

1. The PS3 console is much too far away from my seating to allow me to keep it attached. I know I could buy a longer cable, but I like the freedom of wireless - others must be in the same situation.

2. When I put any device on charge, I like to ensure it gets a full/unbroken charge as over time, this will give the battery a better/longer life. I know the newer Li-Ion batteries are much less (some would argue not-at-all) prone to battery 'memory', but if I can achieve a full charge, by plugging into a device that's always on anyway (i.e. my TiVo) then it's just easier.

I'm not sure if I should take that first part as sarcasm, but;

I always keep my remotes fully charged.  I now have three remotes, and I play with one while charging another.  So two remotes will always be fully charged, and I'll be using the third to play.  When that one starts to run out, I use a different one, or I'll sometimes charge while I'm playing if I don't feel like switching at the moment.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Message 9 of 16 (6,214 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Sep 3, 2011

YemeniLuigi wrote:

I always keep my remotes fully charged.  I now have three remotes, and I play with one while charging another.  So two remotes will always be fully charged, and I'll be using the third to play.  When that one starts to run out, I use a different one, or I'll sometimes charge while I'm playing if I don't feel like switching at the moment.

Watashiwa Hagane no Renkinjutsushi!

I do the same! I also have a longer cable for the USB to connect to my console. I can charge while playing if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to switch controllers. I like the freedom of wireless as well, like xpz393 said, but I'm never walking around or going anywhere around my house to even care about the wireless, you know? I'm just sitting in a chair or sitting on my bed or something, since the games are in my bedroom. The wireless is nice, good to not have some wires tangled around your feet and things like that, but I'm able to tolerate it enough to have a wire to charge it. But that's just the way I perfer.

Also, I wasn't aware that you could charge it onto the TivO or something like that! c: I never thought of that, and that seems like an idea that I may try. It never crossed my mind that you could, haha.

Message 10 of 16 (6,214 Views)
0 Likes