Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 17 2012
By: JAWS4jah First Son 4 posts

New PS3 Super Slim Issues

8 replies 1549 views Edited Nov 17, 2012

There is nothing incredibly bad about this new system except for that it runs incredibly hot, and even more so when laying flat. I would like to stand it vertically, but its kind of unstable, and its impossible to find the stand for it. Only Gamestop.com has it listed, and its been on backorder since I bought the system. It runs so hot, its been freezing up the system mid-game, making me power off-power on. Any news on when these stands will be more available, as well as maybe a cooling system?

Message 1 of 9 (1,549 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30411 posts

Re: New PS3 Super Slim Issues

Nov 17, 2012

JAWS4jah wrote:

There is nothing incredibly bad about this new system except for that it runs incredibly hot, and even more so when laying flat. I would like to stand it vertically, but its kind of unstable, and its impossible to find the stand for it. Only Gamestop.com has it listed, and its been on backorder since I bought the system. It runs so hot, its been freezing up the system mid-game, making me power off-power on. Any news on when these stands will be more available, as well as maybe a cooling system?

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

I haven't heard about when the stands may or moy not be coming back into stock at various retalers, I asume you've Googled the stand to see if it's available elsewhere, I checked Amazon myself & only the slim stand is in stock, not the super-slim one.

If you're not happy with your PS3 you could consider returning it for a refund/replacement, failing that you could just do all you can to ensure it is well ventilated & you take regular breaks in your gaming.

Message 2 of 9 (1,544 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 17, 2012
I have seen them in stock at Best Buy stores for $20, I suggest you check there...
Message 3 of 9 (1,542 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Dec 29, 2012

The reason it's so hot is because Sony put practically NO paste on the GPU, there's so little it doesn't matter one bit. If you can take it apart and replace it, you should be good to go. =)

Message 4 of 9 (1,427 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
188 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 30, 2012

Why would you suggest that someone open up a brand new console and void the warranty...leave it alone, buy a stand or get a laptop cooling pad and put that underneath the system.  Sony won't honor anything if the warranty seal is broken, and most repair places won't guarantee a repair if the seal is tampered with either.

I haven't seen any videos of how much thermal paste is on the GPU either, but the company that makes AS5 recommends only putting thermal paste the size of a piece of rice on the GPU....

Message 5 of 9 (1,400 Views)
First Son
20 posts

Dec 30, 2012

I recommend it because if he can do that, he shouldn't need any help from Sony. If his drives breaks, okay, go get another one for $20 online. And why should we have to pay for THEIR **bleep** ups WITH a warrenty? As for how much paste they used, I'm telling you, there's practically none on there. I've opened up several people's PS3 Super Slims, they all had practically none. The paste was on the SIDES of the gpu, not even on the chip itself and what WAS there was such a THIN layer I could see right through it. But the paste that was on the side of the chip, I couldn't see through that one bit. That's why I say it. And more than likely, if he did send it back, they wouldn't do a thing about it. That's how they can make their money.

Message 6 of 9 (1,371 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
188 posts

Jan 2, 2013

Um....all PS3's come with a one-year manufacturer warranty...no need to spend money on one.  As far as sending it in if it is under warranty it won't cost anything....not even shipping.  If he wanted to he could probably take it back to the store that it was purchased from and exchange it.

Please do not listen to this guy and open up your PS3...once it is out of warranty do as you want, but if anything happens within a year, anything, Sony will cover it, and you won't have to worry.  Once that seal is broken, it is 100% your problem, and 100% your cost to have it fixed.

Message 7 of 9 (1,332 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 2, 2013

xSonic521x wrote:

The reason it's so hot is because Sony put practically NO paste on the GPU, there's so little it doesn't matter one bit. If you can take it apart and replace it, you should be good to go. =)

Once again, you're wrong.

Read it.
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+3+Super+Slim+Teardown/10670/1

As it stands, the reason WHY it looks the way YOU THINK, is because the space between the heatsink/fan and the core is SOO SMALL that during assembly, the thermal paste is squeezed out. YOU DON"T NEED A LOT OF PASTE for thermal conductivity. 
Thermal Paste's primary use is to fill in the small valleys in the materials for more surface area between the processor and the heatsink. NOTHING MORE.

ANYONE who has EVER applied thermal paste, or someone who has made a sandwhich knows that when you press something down, whatever fluid is inside is going to be squished out.

You are really stupid to not know this. 

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 8 of 9 (1,307 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 2, 2013
WOW! ^^^^^
Message 9 of 9 (1,277 Views)
0 Likes