Feb 01 2013
By: Xcalibur254 First Son 2 posts

New PS3 Having Heat/Fan Issues

14 replies 971 views Edited Feb 1, 2013

So I bought a new PS3 less than a month ago. It is the 500GB version that came in the Assassin's Creed 3 bundle (CECH-4001C). It's been running fine until today. Even this morning it was running fine. However, when I started it up after lunch I was able to play for about five minutes before geeting a warning about it getting too hot and then it promptly shut itself down. I gave it an hour to cool down and now the fan is extremely loud. I've seen others have this problem but those are with older models that they've had for years. Has anyone heard if this is a problem with these models? Is there anything I can do or has it pretty much turned into an expensive paper weight in less than a month?

Message 1 of 15 (971 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Re: New PS3 Having Heat/Fan Issues

Feb 1, 2013

theres so many people having issues with these new superslims,i know 2 people personally that have them having issues the same and as soon as Endless Electronics posted a video of the tear down of one of these at release i predicted there would be massive problems because theres no heatsink coverage on the GPU ram which makes no sense...im going to tear one of my friends down and we are going to put a modified heatsink in place and i will guarantee it will fix the issue..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 2 of 15 (966 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Feb 2, 2013

From what I saw, the GPU on the supperslim has a small copper pipe on a dab of thermal paste covering the GPU. I do agree that the coverage does seem to barely be adequate...

Message 3 of 15 (953 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7020 posts

Feb 2, 2013

Xcalibur254 wrote:

So I bought a new PS3 less than a month ago. It is the 500GB version that came in the Assassin's Creed 3 bundle (CECH-4001C). It's been running fine until today. Even this morning it was running fine. However, when I started it up after lunch I was able to play for about five minutes before geeting a warning about it getting too hot and then it promptly shut itself down. I gave it an hour to cool down and now the fan is extremely loud. I've seen others have this problem but those are with older models that they've had for years. Has anyone heard if this is a problem with these models? Is there anything I can do or has it pretty much turned into an expensive paper weight in less than a month?

take it back  and get another. problem solved. happy gaming in your future

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 4 of 15 (950 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Feb 2, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

From what I saw, the GPU on the supperslim has a small copper pipe on a dab of thermal paste covering the GPU. I do agree that the coverage does seem to barely be adequate...

thats the whole thing,i think it cools the actual GPU down good but the GPU ram is getting nothing at all...i will probably do my buddies tomorrow or Sunday,i plan on using a thin copper sheet between the heatsink and the gpu so the rams heat is also getting some cooling and see how it turns out and if it does no good i will throw on one of these extra warranty stickers i have and he can just return it the way it is lol...

Message 5 of 15 (946 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Feb 2, 2013

for anyone that wants to know heres a nice video by EE showing the superslim broke down and as you can see theres no heatsink coverage whatsoever on the GPU ram(4 corners) like all the other units do...i think when i use a copper shim to cover the 4 corners i willhave to add it to the CPU as well to keep everything flush and inline but i will soon find out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5McwISJEGCE

Message 6 of 15 (930 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2983 posts

Feb 2, 2013

put a ice pack on it.

Message 7 of 15 (918 Views)
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Feb 2, 2013

i remember reading a story once where a guy kept a old BC system in a micro fridge...LMAO

Message 8 of 15 (899 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2983 posts

Feb 2, 2013
gotta do what u gotta do. modern day technology breaks really easy.
Message 9 of 15 (893 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Feb 3, 2013

getting ready to tear down this buddy of mines ps3 superslim and add 1/32 copper shims to the GPU/CPU(has to be added to the CPU to keep it level) and see how it plays out...still debating on whether to use thermal adhesive onthe bottom of the copper shim for the GPU at least on the ram chips as the pressure would be very limited just using compund....will let all know how it works out..

Message 10 of 15 (881 Views)
0 Likes