Fender Bender
3436 posts

Re: New PS3 Having Heat/Fan Issues

Feb 3, 2013

kythunder wrote:

getting ready to tear down this buddy of mines ps3 superslim and add 1/32 copper shims to the GPU/CPU(has to be added to the CPU to keep it level) and see how it plays out...still debating on whether to use thermal adhesive onthe bottom of the copper shim for the GPU at least on the ram chips as the pressure would be very limited just using compund....will let all know how it works out..

all back together and been running for about 30 minutes and so far running much much cooler than stock and in a pretty hot room with a wood stove burning as well...went with the thermal adhesive on the GPU ram for better coverage and better heat transfer since theres no real pressure on the corners...fan running much quieter than it was before we started after running just a few minutes on xmb and hes sitting here playing COD and its running great...will update if anything changes..

NOTE..they still use that crappy paste they have been using so Sony hasn't learned anything from that concept,tells me when a ps4 does come out i will be tearing it down from day one and replacing it...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 11 of 15 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Feb 3, 2013

well after just a one hour break lastnight for the thermal paste to set it has been running for almost 12 hours straight and never a msg or overheating issue and even a way slower fan than it came from factory and he's had issues from day one with it...the 1/32 copper shims have  definately solved the issue,about to give it a break for about another hour or so for the thermal compound break in and then let it sit and run again,last night we gamed for a few hours then just let it sit and run on netflix movies the rest of the night...looks like i found the cure for the superslims and if i ever get one it will be the first thing i do to it..can't believe Sony skimped on that part of the cooling...really does makeme start to wonder when something as easy as this has reduced temps dramatically.....

Message 12 of 15 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Feb 4, 2013

just a update if anyone is paying attention but the superslim shim job is still running strong and cool after close to 24 hours now and it is sustantially cooler than stock..Sony definately skimped here because something as simple as this will prolong the life of these units but what to expect as they haven't even learned yet that the compound they use is a major issue but still continue to use it....wonder whats in store for future cooling?  isn't looking good.lol

Message 13 of 15 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Feb 5, 2013

been running for over 48 hours now mixed gaming/netflix/HDD movies and still running way cooler than stock after just 30 minutes.....i wonder if im the first one to do this fix on the superslim because its the surefire fix the way it looks and will send it back home to my friends tommorow as theres really no more need in testing.....

Message 14 of 15 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
2 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Well I had packed up my PS3 planning on exchanging it for a new one. At the last minute I remembered a few more things I needed to do so I reconnected it. This was the first time the fan hadn't been running loud since Friday. So I figure I'll see how it runs over the next few days before bringing it in.

@kythunder How simple would this fix be to do for someone with no experience in these areas?

Message 15 of 15 (180 Views)
0 Likes