Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Hekseville Citizen
372 posts

Re: New PS Store sucks

[ Edited ]
Nov 7, 2012

I am a bit resistant to change, but I wanted to take a few moments to really look at the new design. After spending a few moments, I just couldn't see how lumping everything together makes things work better. So I looked for places to provide feedback. It's going to be tough to do even that.

While reading through this thread, finally the walkthrough came up. Why it wasn't easily found in several other places makes me wonder what the hell they were thinking, but okay, there is a walkthrough. So I watched the walkthrough. Early on he mentions things that that were intended goals. Like "First off, we wanted to make a much more visual exciting experience." "We also want to make it easy for you to search for the content you want." "we also want to make the whole experience faster. Make it easier for you to bounce from place to place on the store." "And finally we wanted to bring all the content together in one place."

Somewhat decent goals, and not easy to balance. But when comparing my experience with the new store to my experiences with the old store, I am pretty sure that I would say that they failed.

They have new backgrounds and more visual pop, then just having single backgrounds or a blue screen everywhere. Which is nice, but I don't really need the backgrounds. Still there are other changes that supposedly help. Large boxes for some games, small boxes for others. Multiple backgrounds that sometimes are a focus on the games and movies currently displayed in the area you are viewing. The different boxes aren't very helpful, looks more like a sloppy clutter then a place where I am trying to look for particular titles. In general, they should have done the new backgrounds in the old design.

When it comes to searching for content. The old store was amazing for browsing, though it was getting a bit overdone with some of the sub categories. The new design pretty much requires you to use the search because you aren't going to like seeing everything on the store to get to anything you are looking for.

This is probably my most important point about the differences between the stores. Average users probably would browse through the old store up to an hour each week. A half hour for games, and a half hour for movies, not counting download time. Other users would probably log in, quickly search the new releases and then finish, taking about 10 minutes. On the new store, it really seems like people will go to the playstation blog, or to the forums or to the game websites for the games they are interested in to find what they want, then they log in to playstation store, use the search function and find it in about half a minute. Start the download and exit as fast as possible. The new design is not really entertaining for browsing. I would bet that most people will be spending much less time in the store because they just don't want to look through the clutter.

They wanted to make the experience faster, well, they technically succeeded. As I said just above, people won't spend as much time on the store. But that only means that they won't be doing as much in the store as they used to. That doesn't really mean a faster experience, just that they don't want to use the store for everything that they did before. Doing one thing in half the time that people would do 5 things in kind of means less efficiency, not just less time. As for bouncing from place to place in the store, it didn't really seem very quick to me, even when trying to disregard the longer then usual load times.

As for bringing all the content together in one place. They did that. It kind of screws up the whole make it visually more enjoyable, and make it faster, because you have to go through so many more things that aren't what we are looking for.

I will miss the old design and probably will do as I said where I find what I want without the store and only use the search function to get what I want. I am pretty sure that I will spend less time using the new psn store compared to the time I spent in the old store.

If they had the chance to track the stats on the issue, hopefully the figure out people's average time in the old store, and compare it to their average time in the new store. I wonder if the difference will favor the old store, but if it does, hopefully they make another update to repair some of their changes and actually make it more enjoyable to use the store.

Message 51 of 228 (664 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Nov 7, 2012
I miss the old design too .You're not alone GreaseMonkey. I'm sure after the election race and celebrations are over. Others will join our concern.
Message 52 of 228 (648 Views)
First Son
26 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 9, 2013

Seriously **** this **** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **** which ever dumb *** that decided to make the PS Store look like the ****** 360 interface. It runs like ****, and even if there is absolutely no loading it would still take MORE clicks and MORE time to find anything compared to the old store. DITCH THIS CRAP AND GIVE US THE OLD STORE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: profanity

Message 53 of 228 (643 Views)
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Nov 8, 2012

Loading times atrocious...7 clicks to download a demo?...mmmk...search is annoying to say the least...

Video doesnt lie comparing the old vs the new;

Congrats Sony as I will vist your store less often(much less) as I got better things to do than wait 30 seconds for the store to load...thats 30 seconds of my life i will never have back...that is precious gaming time...or toilet time.

Message 54 of 228 (613 Views)
First Son
10 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 8, 2012

I know this may sound kinda stupid guys.  But I just emailed the SCEA's President about this.

Message 55 of 228 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5550 posts

Nov 8, 2012
Yeah, what JHarlequin said.

And that is an awesome video, starzseed.

What the hell are you thinking Sony? Seems that more people hate the new design than like it. That can't be good for sales...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 56 of 228 (594 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Nov 8, 2012
My only suggestion is to bring back 'browse by genre'.
New store is great if you already know what you're looking for but sometimes I like to see if anything similar ro my tastes is available.
Message 57 of 228 (565 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6904 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2012

LeeStone71 wrote:
My only suggestion is to bring back 'browse by genre'.
New store is great if you already know what you're looking for but sometimes I like to see if anything similar ro my tastes is available.
Did you look under Filter when you are searching games, you can browse games by Genre, just click on filter then genre and choose the genre you wanted to look at.

Message 58 of 228 (559 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 8, 2012
Soooo true!!!
But at least with yahoo, I finally found a way around the **bleep**y update, where as here I just feel I'm forced to use this awfull, laggy and bugged ps store interface!
Message 59 of 228 (551 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11190 posts

Nov 8, 2012

There should be a toggle for people who want to use the old one and the new one.

I personally like the looks of it, but searching is TERRIBLE, and it takes ages to do it...

I don't use the Store that much but still... every time i go there i'm like "WHOA WAT HAPPENED", then i realize it changed and quit. :smileyhappy:

Message 60 of 228 (548 Views)
0 Likes