Mar 30 2013
By: B3GV5M63 Fender Bender 2921 posts

Network attached drive to ps3? need help

2 replies 172 views Edited Mar 30, 2013

so i have a hard drive in a portable enclosure and i want to have my media files(videos.pictures.audio) in the hard drive. btw(the HDD is hooked up to my router which is TL-WR1043ND) a nd it supports UPNP and it has a media server. so when i create files in the HDD. Videos.Photos.Audio. and i add a video to the videos file. tho its compatible(mp4 and works on usb flash).  i dont see the video file when i get in the videos section. and the Triangle button which i can click tho SHOW ALL ITEMS. is not there. only X which allows me to browse. and i allowed all my network to read and write. reformatted hdd to FAT32 just like many said on this forum. and still the same. actually. i cant change file names to CAPTIALIZED when it is FAT32. i can see the HDD. but not the actual data in it. and when i set up the network. my ps3 does not recognize the UPNP tho there is UPNP. any idea how can i get it to work?

Message 1 of 3 (172 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

Re: Network attached drive to ps3? need help

Mar 30, 2013

B3GV5M63 wrote:

so i have a hard drive in a portable enclosure and i want to have my media files(videos.pictures.audio) in the hard drive. btw(the HDD is hooked up to my router which is TL-WR1043ND) a nd it supports UPNP and it has a media server. so when i create files in the HDD. Videos.Photos.Audio. and i add a video to the videos file. tho its compatible(mp4 and works on usb flash).  i dont see the video file when i get in the videos section. and the Triangle button which i can click tho SHOW ALL ITEMS. is not there. only X which allows me to browse. and i allowed all my network to read and write. reformatted hdd to FAT32 just like many said on this forum. and still the same. actually. i cant change file names to CAPTIALIZED when it is FAT32. i can see the HDD. but not the actual data in it. and when i set up the network. my ps3 does not recognize the UPNP tho there is UPNP. any idea how can i get it to work?

|Welcome to the PlayStation Community Forums

|In order for UPnP to work you have to enable UPnP on both the router & under the PS3 Network settings.

I currently am using an Asus RT-N66U. Setting up DLNA on my router was fairly easy. All I had to do was attach my HDD containing the media & enable DLNA [media server] at the router level & on the PS3 as well. All supported media is visible on the PS3

Click below for the files types supported by the PS3:

Not all MP4 files will play on the PS3 but what gets to me is that the MP4 file in question works when played from the USB flash drive but not when played over DLNA.  At this point I would tell you to text the file by playing it on your computer via DLNA and see if it works [WMP should pick it up] If you setup the media server while the PS3 was on, then restart it and see if works. Same thing, if you added the file while the DLNA server was enable on your router, the unmount the HDD and remount it.

With that said, the PS3 is not able to write/edit/delete files via DLNA. The PS3 is only a DLNA player.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 3 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
2921 posts

Re: Network attached drive to ps3? need help

[ Edited ]
Mar 30, 2013

thanks for replaying:

it works from PC. i have UPNP enabled on my router. and on my PS3. but its not working. but i still can see the media server. cant see the files in the directories. how do i fix the UPNP. cant reset the router or install and 3rd party firmwares because it took me a while to set it up!

BTW. all my PCS showing that UPNP is working except the PS3.  HDD format is NFTS cuz i had probs with FAT32 and same issue was there

Message 3 of 3 (158 Views)
0 Likes