Jan 29 2013
By: kjentionsenijen First Son 2 posts

Need some help here

13 replies 64 views Edited Jan 29, 2013

Hey i bought some games from playstation store and now my hardisk is full is it possible to get the games i download from there over to to a flash drive ?

Message 1 of 14 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Re: Need some help here

Jan 29, 2013
no sorry... you can try a external hardrive but not all games can be moved
FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 2 of 14 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 29, 2013

As far as I know, forgetting the Flash Drive idea, anything you "purchase" and download from the Store, can be removed from your drive.

This would allow for more space on the drive, and then when you want to play them again, you can re downloaded the game from your Purchased Games.  This is providing it is not removed from PSN by Sony in the future.

I know this is how it works when I download my "Free" Plus Games.

Again, as long as you have purchased the game, and downloaded it at least once, it can be removed and re downloaded at a future date.

If someone else wants to elaborate on this, I welcome it.  I believe this is the case in most instances, but I am not aware of any problems anyone else might have had with this approach in the past.

Moble

Message 3 of 14 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Jan 29, 2013
exact thing i do but its always a pain redownloading
FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 4 of 14 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Another reason why I forwent the Wireless approach for my PS3.  I gave in and attached the Ethernet Cable.  The download speed increased exponentially when I did.

True, the larger games will still take longer to download and install, but at the very least, this approach will save the space on the HDD. 

I figured this out when, on a whim, I checked my available space and it told me I had 23G/232G remaining.  I cleared out a bunch of old videos, themes, avatars, and add ons to games I no longer had.  As well, I cleared out the games I got through PLUS, that I was not going to be able to play right away.

The OP should also try and go through the menus to find any information or data that is now irrelevant.  I.e.., old saves to games they no longer have, as well as add ons and any other miscellaneous information that gets stored by the system.  I like demos, but I do not keep them after playing them.  They take up space as well.

To give an example, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade, that I got free through PLUS, was 16G alone.  I cleared it off my HDD, because I was not going to play it at this time.  By downloading it, and then erasing it, it allows me to go back and get it again.  Now this game takes a while to download, so it was a decision I took seriously.

Granted, in my case, these games I have cleared were "free" to me, so I am not taking a gamble on the decision to remove them.  If the OP has actually purchased the games in question, they should think carefully about which games they remove, in the event they are NOT able to retrieve them in the future.  Just something to think about.

Additionally, this is why I mostly prefer Games on Disc.  I have no risk involved with them, and they cannot be erased forever, should Sony pull support for them.  The only games I actually buy for download only are ones that cost no more than $10-$20.  This way, if I lose them, I am not out a large sum of money.

Just some food for thought here.

Moble

Message 5 of 14 (55 Views)
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Jan 29, 2013

i don't see Sony ever removing games once they are put up or it has never happened yet anyway but as stated other than upgrading the hdd the only option is to remove the game as you can't just transfer a game over to a external drive but would have to backup the entire drive itself..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 6 of 14 (47 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
42479 posts

Jan 29, 2013

kythunder wrote:

i don't see Sony ever removing games once they are put up or it has never happened yet anyway but as stated other than upgrading the hdd the only option is to remove the game as you can't just transfer a game over to a external drive but would have to backup the entire drive itself..

Actually some games are removed, not many but they have been some.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_300x50_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Live Chat Available Mon-Sat 6am-10pm PST & Sun 6am-8pm PST
Message 7 of 14 (45 Views)
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Jan 29, 2013

wow..thanks for clearing that up for me..would have never thought they would do that to us plus subscribers...

Message 8 of 14 (39 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
42479 posts

Jan 29, 2013

kythunder wrote:

wow..thanks for clearing that up for me..would have never thought they would do that to us plus subscribers...

It really doesn't happen very often, but it does happen, it's just something to be aware of.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_300x50_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Live Chat Available Mon-Sat 6am-10pm PST & Sun 6am-8pm PST
Message 9 of 14 (34 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Jan 29, 2013

well i guess it gives me more reason to make my case mod to install a 2-3tb drive then it will never be an issue for me..LOL

Message 10 of 14 (32 Views)
0 Likes