Highlighted
Jan 11 2013
By: JimmyElCid First Son 3 posts

Need offline PS3 Netflix update

3 replies 332 views Edited Jan 11, 2013

My internet connection is slow DSL (0.5 Mbps) and times out or breaks before the new

Netflix PS3 upgrade can download (24 MB?). I once upgraded my PS3 
software by going to a location with faster service and getting the upgrade on

a thumb drive then plugging it into the PS3 and installing from the thumb drive. Netflix
support (and  Sony support) say it cannot be done for the Netflix upgrade so

I am apparently SOL and can no longer watch Netflix on my PS3.

Can anybody offer any help?

Message 1 of 4 (332 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6327 posts

Re: Need offline PS3 Netflix update

Jan 11, 2013

I don't believe there's any other way to update it; you might have to take your PS3 somewhere else to do it, or upgrade your internet connection.  I'm surprised you could even use Netflix anyway, if 24 mb is a lot for your connection.  Even when I was on dialup I would download files that big Smiley Tongue.

Message 2 of 4 (329 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
584 posts

Jan 11, 2013

thats an issue that is entirely on you. that speed is really bad, how you watched it in the first place is beyond me.  you need 5-7 mg to stream HD alone cleanly.  the service is fine, your speed is the problem

Equality for all
Message 3 of 4 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

Even with your minimum required Netflix broadband speed of 0.5 Mbps, the update should only take around 10 minutes to download (current version 2.11 is 37 MB). Even if it takes double this time, I wouldn't of thought it would be the end of the world, given that you are using up considerably more bandwidth just watching a single 45 minute TV episode.

If you do decide to go ahead, please post how long it actually took as it would be interesting to know the "real world" speed.

Message 4 of 4 (315 Views)
0 Likes