Dec 29 2010
By: benehana First Son 3 posts

Need help syncing (Bravia Sync) PS3 SLIM to Sony KDL-32XBR9

11 replies 10853 views Edited Dec 29, 2009

I just bought a new PS3 120gb slim and a brand new 32' Sony LCD  (KDL-32XBR9) with bravia sync.  They are both hooked through hdmi. I have enabled control for hdmi in both the PS3 and the LCD but I can't get them to recognize and sync to each other. The PS3 never shows up in the sync list, how can I use the bravia sync funtion? They are both new to me show I'm sure im just missing somthing.  Both have been upgraded to the lastest firmware.

UPDATE: issue fixed

First thank you to the member that replied. Second this is what fixed it for me , just incase others have this issue in the future.

After several  quickly yet repeatative email with sony I was told to call. The lady on the line told me to :

1. Turn off / disable the "Control to hdmi " feature on BOTH the TV and PS3.
  2. Turn them both off and disconnect them from the power for 5minutes
  3. Turn the TV on and click MENU->SETUP->Product Support-->Restore to factory settings.
  4. After that you have to go through all of your original setup steps you did when you first got the TV (including searching for digital channels)
  5. Then ENABLE the "Control for HDMI" on your TV
  6. Turn on the PS3 and enable "Control for HDMI" on the PS3
  7. CLick on Sync Menu List and the PS3 should show up know and should be able to control your PS3
I hope this helps someoen else.  I believe my issue was when I first purchased my TV I set it up and then upgraded the firmware. After that i should have restore it back to its factory settings.

Message Edited by benehana on 12-28-2009 07:01 PM
Message 3 of 12 (10,853 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Need help syncing (Bravia Sync) PS3 SLIM to Sony KDL-32XBR9

Dec 25, 2009

I have had a similar experience with a new PS3 120gb slim and KDL-40W5500.  Hooked up through hdmi, picture all working just fine, bravia sync activated on both ends, but no recognition.

I had another two devices connected to other hdmi ports on the tv, and found that by removing them, bravia sync magically started working.

Connect one of them up again and bravia sync fails again.  Disconnect, works again.

Sigh!

Tentative conclusion is that supposed v1.3 hdmi (but cheap) cables are not cutting it. (or maybe that one of the other devices is sending out bad signals on the cec wire which are confusing the tv)

At least I have a workaround - leave all cables connected and have complete functionality, but need to drive the ps3 with the DualShock controller, or for BluRay use of the ps3, remove the other two cables.

Message 1 of 12 (10,853 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 29, 2009

First thank you to the member that replied. Second this is what fixed it for me , just incase others have this issue in the future.

After several  quickly yet repeatative email with sony I was told to call. The lady on the line told me to :

1. Turn off / disable the "Control to hdmi " feature on BOTH the TV and PS3.
  2. Turn them both off and disconnect them from the power for 5minutes
  3. Turn the TV on and click MENU->SETUP->Product Support-->Restore to factory settings.
  4. After that you have to go through all of your original setup steps you did when you first got the TV (including searching for digital channels)
  5. Then ENABLE the "Control for HDMI" on your TV
  6. Turn on the PS3 and enable "Control for HDMI" on the PS3
  7. CLick on Sync Menu List and the PS3 should show up know and should be able to control your PS3
I hope this helps someoen else.  I believe my issue was when I first purchased my TV I set it up and then upgraded the firmware. After that i should have restore it back to its factory settings.
Message 2 of 12 (10,853 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jan 3, 2010

I'm having same problem also with other HDMI device turned off. Bravia sync stop working whenever i plug in another HDMI cable. The other cable are cheap one but i'm not sure if that is the problem or if you just can't plug in other devices non bravia sync compliant to make it work. If someone could help...

Message 4 of 12 (10,853 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
29 posts

Jan 10, 2010

Hello. I also have a PS3 Slim with latest firmware, and I also have 2 brand new Sony KDL-32XBR9 TV's, also with latest firmware.

None of the TV's will enable Bravia sync with the PS3.

I have also tried using various brand high quality HDMI 1.3 Certified cables.

I carefully followed the instructions listed in this forum many times, and at no time would the TV see the PS3 in the sync menu.

Since I have tried this on both TV's I would have to lay blame on the sync failure as being a PS3 issue.

I plan on buying yet another PS3 slim for one of the TV's that are in another room, however this lack of Bravia Sync with two Sony made products is leaving me disappointed in Sony.

Maybe the reason these two Sony products don't want to communicate with each other is due to the TV being made in Mexico, and The PS3 in China.

My guess is that they just don't speak the same language. (/jk this was LAME JOKE don't take it seriously).

However in all seriousness it would be nice if the two sony products would do what they are supposed to.

You would think that sony would test bravia sync on their products before they claim that it should work in their websites/manuals/marketing etc..

Message Edited by Mr-interested on 01-10-2010 03:47 PM
Message 5 of 12 (10,853 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 11, 2010

Call Sony Support. They were able to help me tremendously .  If there is something wrong with the TV or Ps3 they'll be able to figure it out over the phone with the "handshake" test.

Call them. and try those steps that I posted above. MAKE SURE you completly disconnect the both devices from power . dont just turn them off. And make to sure to set both TV and PS3 to disable (control of hdmi) first.

Message 6 of 12 (10,853 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
29 posts

Jan 11, 2010

Like i mentioned, i followed your instructions several times, exactly as you listed.

I did unplug the PS3 and the TV(s) for over an hour.

I also phoned Sony, using the toll free number listed in the TV settings.

I spoke with someone who said i was doing everything right, and he had no clue why it was not working.

In the end he suggested i call the Sony's Playstation support, as far as he could tell it was an issue with the PS3 and not the TV.

I had enough already so i will leave that call to another day.

Message 7 of 12 (10,853 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 27, 2010

hi,

i also did the things that you list.. it does not work... i am at Turkey now... tehnical support comes to my home but they even do not know anything about bravia sync so they can not help me... i have phoned too many services at turkey but none of them know about this technology... if you have found a solution about your problem can you say how can you solve... i am using a 52w5500 series lcd tv...

thanks

Message 8 of 12 (10,853 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 8, 2012

Wow thanks, I had just ran into this problem last night when I came home to notice my ps3 was doing this. Thank you for posting this man.

Message 9 of 12 (10,853 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 16, 2012

above mentioned steps didnt work for me.

Called ps3 support they said ps3 is fine, call (sony) TV support. Their 3rd leve support guy wasnt help at all, in fact of the opinion that it (sync menu feature) doesnt matter. When I inquired then why Sony has that feature included and flaunting it on published materials, he had no answer.

It sucks that the promised functionality doesnt work and Sony not doing anything to help customers out and from the threads look like many a folks run into this one way or other.

I wonder if someone else have some other work around to make it work.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 12 (10,853 Views)
0 Likes