Mar 26 2014
By: Phillyblunz Umbrella Scientist 12347 posts

Need advice on PS3 to PS4 upgrade

[ Edited ]
17 replies 244 views Edited Mar 26, 2014

Hey yall, 

I currently do not own a PS4 just getting that out there.

And yes I realise to play the PS4 version I need to keep the PS3 discs.

In Nov 2013 I went to a promotion at Bestbuy and Futureshop where they gave me 6 free copies, two each of the following PS3 titles:

Battlefield 4.

Cod ghost.

Assassins Creed 4.

I gave away a copy of each game and kept one of each.

Now I have a decision to make as the deadline for the PS3 to PS4 upgrade is upon us.

The thing is I dont intend to buy a PS4 for at least another 10-12 months or possibly sooner if they drop the price in Canada to $379 or less before then. ($450 today)

I want to know which game/(s) would be best on PS4 even though I already own the PS3 version?

Basically which is the most "next gen" of this group?

I havent spent any money on these games yet and was going to just buy them all but then I heard how many issues BF4 was having and how COD:G doesnt even look any better then the PS3 version. 

So that leaves me with AC4, which IMO is great and looks really good on PS3.

Is the ps4 version a large amount better?  

Now I will never really play the COD competitive MP,I did try out the dog mode and found it lacking, is dog mode much better on PS4?

I only really wanted to play the alien mode but no way will I pay $15 for one more map, lol.  On the other hand COD is one of the only 2 player split screen games I have heard of to date for the PS4, which would be my only reason to consider it.

I do play a bit of BF4 on PS3 but no where near as much as I played BF3 on PS3.

I actually think BF3 looks better on PS3 then BF4.  

Is the game really a big upgrade on PS4?  I will only play MP and no campaign more then likely.

I almost feel like quitting while I am ahead and just skipping the PS4 versions, out of all of them the only one I can see myself spending a lot of time on would be AC4 for offline, then COD just for split screen, and BF4 for occaisional online MP.

I also want to say I feel like the $10 paid to COD would hurt me the most what with their disrespectful attitude to PS3 over the yrs (Activision that is).  I been boycotting them for yrs now and would suck to have to fork over $10 for one alien map, then $15 for the next one.  

I hope to hear from people who have done the upgarde and get their feelings on whether it was a worthy upgrade and why.

Thanks all.

P.S. I wish I had a code for Injustice, that game I would upgrade for sure.

Mod Edit: Fixed grammar in title. Check here for more information. Thanks! - TheTwistedCanuck

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 1 of 18 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2036 posts

Re: Need advice on ps3 to ps4 upgrade

Mar 26, 2014

I can't say which game looks the best on the PlayStation 4 as that's more of a personal preference, but here are some videos displaying the quality differences between each game and the current and next generation consoles.

Hopefully this helps with your decison.

Battlefield 4 PS3/PS4 Comparison

Call of Duty: Ghosts PS3/PS4 Comparison

Assassins Creed: Black Flag PS3/PS4 Comparison

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 18 (226 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Mar 26, 2014

hey

i would say ignore BF4 and Cod and get AC4 if you haven't played alot of the stroy (and don't plan to play it by the time you got your ps4) 

here is why:

bf4 is a complete mess in all the platforms, everyone that i talked to they are annoyed and disgusted with the game and i don't see the developer actually care to fix the problems, they just want to shove more dlcs, just today they added a pack to shortcut all the unlocks in the multiplayer for 50 bucks! 

as for the cod it's not unplayable and it won't crash on you but that's all the good things i have to say about it

ac4 in the other hand is actually a pretty good game, the ps4 version is awesome looking and it's a pretty big jump if you just played ac games in the consoles, but in the same time if you gonna play the story and finish it in your ps3 i can't see why should you pay 10 bucks more for it.

if you gonna wait about a year to get your ps4 theres gonna be second son, order, divison and alot of other next gen (current gen) only games waiting for you that you wont be needing old games anymore.

about a game with local co-op there is already a bunch of games available for ps4 (killzone sf, knack, towerfall) naming afew and theres gonna be alot of other cool indies in the way.

and lastly for a filler multiplayer i would say go for killzone sf, it's a great looking game and it perfomes well and it has free dlcs and mature audience, i'd say is gonna be the best multiplayer game untill destiny and division hands down.

Message 3 of 18 (223 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Mar 26, 2014

Junguler wrote:

hey

i would say ignore BF4 and Cod and get AC4 if you haven't played alot of the stroy (and don't plan to play it by the time you got your ps4) 

about a game with local co-op there is already a bunch of games available for ps4 (killzone sf, knack, towerfall) naming afew and theres gonna be alot of other cool indies in the way.

and lastly for a filler multiplayer i would say go for killzone sf, it's a great looking game and it perfomes well and it has free dlcs and mature audience, i'd say is gonna be the best multiplayer game untill destiny and division hands down.

Killzone Shadow fall has local coop?  Meaning splitscreen?  Online or campaign?  I thought it was online only MP?

I loved Killzone 2 multiplayer, Kilzone 3 not so much.  SF brings back the goods?

Oh and the spend "another " $10 comment, I actually havent spent a dime on the games yet, they were all free and legal.

Thanks for the suggestions and the previous poster, both can have a kudo!

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 4 of 18 (216 Views)
Gaming Beast
2275 posts

Mar 26, 2014
Ghost does run at 1080p 60fps on the ps4
Won the ps4 From taco bell!
eGe EV][L GA/\/\][NG E/\/\P][RE
Message 5 of 18 (211 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 26, 2014

@Phillyblunz 

yeah it does, i saw this yoshida guy played it with some other ps manager at ps4 us release day party (sorry my memory is not really good with names)

i don't have a ps4 just yet, but my freind has it and he is really enjoying shadow fall (both single and multiplayer), i would say maybe it's because of the lack of games in the system but then again he has a ps3 and a gaming pc and it's not like he don't have other games to play.

i would suggest play the games in your ps3 (single player atleast) and trade your copys for other games and don't hold on to them. they don't worth keeping after you already played them.

Message 6 of 18 (206 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5102 posts

Re: Need advice on PS3 to PS4 upgrade

Mar 26, 2014
My sons have cod ghosts on ps3 with the ps4 upgrade and I honestly can't tell the difference graphic wise between the two versions. I haven't played ghosts so I don't know if there's a difference in gameplay.

I have bf4 on the ps4 and the 32 vs 32 conquest is awesome so I would recommend the upgrade for that reason alone. Another thing to consider is that if you don't buy a ps4 until next year, those games could be overrun with cheaters by then, or there might be much better games out so you could be wasting your money by buying games you don't want to play.
And the results are in, the winner of Sonys #20YearsOf Play poll is...
"Winner: SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals (24.74%)"​

It's a great day to be a SOCOM fan!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome job SOCOM fans, Worldwide!
Message 7 of 18 (187 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Re: Need advice on PS3 to PS4 upgrade

Mar 26, 2014

MADDENKING1980 wrote:
My sons have cod ghosts on ps3 with the ps4 upgrade and I honestly can't tell the difference graphic wise between the two versions. I haven't played ghosts so I don't know if there's a difference in gameplay.

I have bf4 on the ps4 and the 32 vs 32 conquest is awesome so I would recommend the upgrade for that reason alone. Another thing to consider is that if you don't buy a ps4 until next year, those games could be overrun with cheaters by then, or there might be much better games out so you could be wasting your money by buying games you don't want to play.

I played some COD Ghosts on xbone and honestly It looked almost identical to the PS3 version.

We only played the alien mode of course, and I could tell the difference when I would kill an enemy and stand on his body and zoom in on his skin or something, but during normal play it was pretty much exactly the same.

But its sub 1080p so I was thinking the PS4 version might look twice as good or something?

Thanks for the input, have some kudos one and all!

Na13-31 wrote:

some_text
Message 8 of 18 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Mar 26, 2014

Junguler wrote:

@Phillyblunz 

yeah it does, i saw this yoshida guy played it with some other ps manager at ps4 us release day party (sorry my memory is not really good with names)

i don't have a ps4 just yet, but my freind has it and he is really enjoying shadow fall (both single and multiplayer), i would say maybe it's because of the lack of games in the system but then again he has a ps3 and a gaming pc and it's not like he don't have other games to play.

i would suggest play the games in your ps3 (single player atleast) and trade your copys for other games and don't hold on to them. they don't worth keeping after you already played them.

Yeah what does what?

Are you confirming Killzone SF has split screen?

Is the split screen for online MP, or the story campaign?

Top right of the type box says "quote" makes things easier to replay to.

thanks though for posting.

Na13-31 wrote:

some_text
Message 9 of 18 (170 Views)
MVP Support
13606 posts

Mar 26, 2014

Killzone SF has no split screen, I don't know what that guy is talking about.

They have no plans to add it later either, due to performance issues

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 10 of 18 (167 Views)