Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 06 2013
By: DJMMT PlayStation MVP 23 posts
Accepted Solution

Need a New Gaming Headset

[ Edited ]
17 replies 261 views Edited Jul 11, 2014

Long story short my gaming headset broke when I shipped it overseas. I need a new one. It needs to be USB and work for gaming and chatting on my PS3, but preferably it would be universal. Obviously good sound and mic quality. I want an adjustable mic with a foam head. Not just the raw plastic. It needs to be something sturdy that will last. A lot of reviews I've read about certain headsets such as the one by Tuttle Beach say the sound quality is great, but they break too easily even with minor use. I'm looking to pay no more than $60 after shipping. Any reccomendations?

Mod Edit: Updated label. Click here for more info on labels

Thanks!   ~lovely1rainbow

I am Krogan! I mean Turian. :smileyhappy:

Check out my weekly gaming blog on IGN: http://www.ign.com/blogs/djmmt

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
715 posts

Re: Need a New Gaming Headset

Dec 6, 2013
That's a lot to ask for under $60 shipped. Maybe just keep an eye on the holiday sales. Within that price range you'll be fairly limited and I doubt you'll find much difference between headsets. I'd also look locally or use a free "ship to store" option so more money goes towards the headset vs shipping.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (257 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5856 posts

Dec 6, 2013

funny-Headset.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (254 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9570 posts

Dec 6, 2013
There are certain USB adapters that will allow audio and chat by using either studio headphones and clip on mic or cheap PC headset. Go to www.head-fi.org and ask in their gaming section which cheap adapter works best. Then you could get something like the Sennheiser hd202's and $3.00 mic from deal extreme.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (239 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23 posts

Dec 8, 2013

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I tried to contact the company that I bought my old headset from in Hong Kong and they told me it was discontinued. Shame because it really was the best headset I've ever owned. I ended up going with the Sharkoon X-Tactic Universal headset after reading a few reviews. Came in just under $60 after tax and Amazon shipped it for free. Hopefully it works and doesn't break down.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharkoon-X-Tatic-Headset-PlayStation-3-63057006306200/dp/B00AWNX9DK

I am Krogan! I mean Turian. :smileyhappy:

Check out my weekly gaming blog on IGN: http://www.ign.com/blogs/djmmt

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Jan 27, 2014

I have used the Tritton AX Pros for the past couple of years. Conveniently, the cable broke and the mic shorts out... after about 2.5 years. Warranty ends at 2 years.

PROs

- Great sound

- Convenient voice muting

CONs

- big and bulky

- CHEAPLY made

I myself am looking to buy a new headset with better quality

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (163 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5448 posts

Jan 27, 2014

RunzWithScissorz wrote:

I have used the Tritton AX Pros for the past couple of years. Conveniently, the cable broke and the mic shorts out... after about 2.5 years. Warranty ends at 2 years.

PROs

- Great sound

- Convenient voice muting

CONs

- big and bulky

- CHEAPLY made

I myself am looking to buy a new headset with better quality

For something comparable, I'd go with the Skullcandy PLYR1's: 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/skullcandy-plyr1-gaming-wireless-headset-for-xbox-360-and-playstation-3/...

It works out of the box for Xbox 360, PS4, & PS3.

Grindhead_Jim

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Jan 28, 2014

Those Skullcany ones look like they are going to have issues in the near future. The mic looks like it'll short in no time, like the mic on my Trittions did. The mic only works if you remove your hands from the controller and hold it in a certain position now.

I spent an hour at Best Buy yesterday and couldn't pick out a pair. The selection was rather disappointing if you ask me.

Anyone know where to buy a set of Astros? And not online either... I prefer to go to a store, see and feel the box, read the fine print, and have somewhere to go and yell at someone if the product doesn't work :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (139 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5448 posts

Jan 28, 2014

RunzWithScissorz wrote:

Those Skullcany ones look like they are going to have issues in the near future. The mic looks like it'll short in no time, like the mic on my Trittions did. The mic only works if you remove your hands from the controller and hold it in a certain position now.

I spent an hour at Best Buy yesterday and couldn't pick out a pair. The selection was rather disappointing if you ask me.

Anyone know where to buy a set of Astros? And not online either... I prefer to go to a store, see and feel the box, read the fine print, and have somewhere to go and yell at someone if the product doesn't work :smileywink:

The folks who made the Astros make the PLYR1 (Skullcandy/Astro) I referred you to, number one.

Number two, I'm pretty sure that Astro A50's can be bought in a Best Buy, and are extremely high quality.  I know several owners of such whom I trust, and they are pleased, which is why I have no reservations recomending the PLYR1's, on top of the glowing reviews they have received across the board.

It's your money, in the end. I think $130 is an absolute steal for the PLYR1's, and, even with the phenomenal quality, I cannot personally justify a $225+ purchase on a headset.

Grindhead_Jim

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9570 posts

Jan 28, 2014
There is nothing wrong with the durability of the mic on the PLYR1's and I have the SLYR's which is basically the same mic sitting right next to me.

The PLYR1's also sound better than the Astro A50's even though the A50's are $170 more. If you are willing to spend $200 to $300 on a console Gaming Headset, you are wasting your money. For those prices, you can get into real quality. Also, if you are not willing to open your mind up to buying online, you are going to waste your money although I do believe Best Buy will price match Amazon.

For the cost of the Astro A50's, you could get an Astro Mixamp and a Sennheiser PC360 PC gaming headset. While it is wired, the audio, build and comfort is far superior. Or you could go the best route and buy a good pair of open air design studio headphones like the Sennheiser HD598's, Sony MDR MA900's, AKG Q701's, etc. The Q701's will require a PC desktop amp such as a FiiO E9 while the MA900's will not.

There are many options to choose from and unless you are on a budget or are the kind of person where wireless is far more important than sound, I would stay away from console gaming headsets completely.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (129 Views)
0 Likes