Feb 04 2013
By: NeckSnapperJoe First Son 1 posts

Need Help Fixing Ethernet Connector

3 replies 51 views Edited Feb 4, 2013

My stupid nephew grabbed my ps3 and threw it while it was still plugged in. Everything works accept where you plug the ethernet cable in. the little green light doesnt come one and on of the pins is messed up. Is there any way around this other than buying a new one? Would i be able to take an ethernet plug connector from a modem or somethin else and replace it in the one in the ps3? Please help because I cant find anything online about a broken ethernet connector. And I tried wireless connection but it doesnt work either.

Message 1 of 4 (51 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29174 posts

Re: Need Help Fixing Ethernet Connector

Feb 4, 2013

NeckSnapperJoe wrote:

My stupid nephew grabbed my ps3 and threw it while it was still plugged in. Everything works accept where you plug the ethernet cable in. the little green light doesnt come one and on of the pins is messed up. Is there any way around this other than buying a new one? Would i be able to take an ethernet plug connector from a modem or somethin else and replace it in the one in the ps3? Please help because I cant find anything online about a broken ethernet connector. And I tried wireless connection but it doesnt work either.

The parts aren't really meant to be swapped out. You can try to replace it with an ethernet plug from the same model, but there's no guaruntee it will work.

Message 2 of 4 (48 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 4, 2013

NeckSnapperJoe wrote:

I recently had a simular issue where my Ethernet connection wouldn't work, nor would the wireless connection.

I then found out that the wireless/bluetooth board inside the PS3 controls all the internet functions in the PS3, including the Ethernet. If you replace that board, it might fix your issue. Or it could be that the board have been knocked loose of its connection.

You probably can't replace the ethernet port easily, but the bluetooth/wireless board is available on eBay.

If you have a PS3 Slim or Superslim, that wireless board is part of the main motherboard, and cannot be fixed by yourself...

Message 3 of 4 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3318 posts

Feb 4, 2013

technically you could replace the port from something else but you may need to mod the case somewhat for clearance etc. but may not..you better be good with a soldering iron,i have fixed 2 ps3's that had similar issues with the hdmi port with bent/broke pins and was able to replace them but patience is your friend and if you dont have it then don't even bother..lol

the 2 i have fixed was because they was always plugging in and out the cords or moving the around...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 4 of 4 (37 Views)
0 Likes