Fender Bender
4131 posts

Re: NVIDIA opted out of PS4!!!

Mar 14, 2013
With Sony's history of helping sponsor development of various tech or games - and then not using it, leaving the developer with no way to use the idea elsewhere, and no one from actually seeing the tech either.. it's no wonder they'd be wary.
Message 11 of 103 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

Mar 14, 2013

I have never been much for gaming on the PC. Chalk it up to 30  years of console gaming, including nearly 20 years before PC gaming became the household staple it's considered to be now. When I started gaming on the Atari 2600, PCs were a pipe dream for the average person or household. It wasn't until the 90s that PCs became a bit more common for people. I didn't own my first PC until 1998.

I don't really know much about the difference between AMD and NVIDIA or most other chips other than they're made by different companies and do slightly different things at slightly different prices. I know people hail PC gaming as "leet" or "all that, a bag of chips and omgz!!!!! i r had 1080 in 2000!!!! lulz". Eh, no thanks. The games I want to play are rarely on the PC. Most of the JRPGs in particular aren't found on PC. I don't want Steam. I don't care about getting uber leet graphics. (My eye sight sucks too much to care about the difference of a few hundred pixels). To be fair, all I care about is gaming. I don't care who develops what chip or graphics or processor. I just want to buy my games and know they work, without having to run some kind of benchmark test to see if I meet minimum standards.

I'd forgotten who made the graphic chips for this generation of consoles to be honest Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 103 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2142 posts

Mar 15, 2013

Reason why I don't play on PC as much is compatibility issues, driver issues, Not enough ram, not high enough graphics card, your processor is too slow., da da da the list goes on. 

Also I love the inset game and play feature on consoles, that's what sets PC and Console gaming IMO.  At least with gaming consoles you know when you insert it you won't have to worry about it not running as it was intended. 

Also IMO better graphics don't mean better a better game.

I made this, want one for yourself? PM me
Message 13 of 103 (136 Views)
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Mar 15, 2013
Have any of you guys looked at the comments on engadget for this article? Alot of dumb people posting stuff like, 'I wouldn't ether after the PS3' ??!?!?! The Nvidea card has produced fantastic graphics for the PS3, the problem lied within the cell processor and how difficult it was to develop for. LOL Unless I'm missing something here
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 14 of 103 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Mar 15, 2013

spyder_21 wrote:

Also IMO better graphics don't mean better a better game.

Yet every single Sony and MS follower claims the Wii U will fail because the graphics won't be as good as the PS4's / XBOX 720's. Most people bash the 3DS for having poor graphics compared to the PSV. Funny how it works~.

Anyway, PC gaming has always been extremely expensive and not just because of GFX. Intel processors are expensive on their own and cooling systems and make the price even higher. That said, one thing I've learned is that it's overwheling only because it's too much information at once. If you know the basics of what you need, etc. (meaning: get advice from somebody who knows) you certainly won't pay astronomic prices. However, and for fairness sake, PC gaming is significantly cheaper than console gaming~.

PS+ is setting the standard for digital gaming in consoles but Steam is by leaps and bounds ahead of it. The amount of money people save with Steam in six months covers a new PC~.

Message 15 of 103 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Mar 15, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

I don't really know much about the difference between AMD and NVIDIA or most other chips other than they're made by different companies and do slightly different things at slightly different prices. I know people hail PC gaming as "leet" or "all that, a bag of chips and omgz!!!!! i r had 1080 in 2000!!!! lulz". Eh, no thanks. The games I want to play are rarely on the PC. 

The irony of the ps4 being literally PC hardware you can buy on the market right now really is completely lost on you, isn't it?

Message 16 of 103 (121 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11152 posts

Mar 15, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
The amount of money people save with Steam in six months covers a new PC~.

If you 'save' money by buying 4 and 5 year old games on sale for $0.99-9.99, that is... New releases on Steam are generally the same price as retail in my experience ($50-60), and typically require hardware upgrades to run.  Of course, most IGC releases on PS+ are older games, as well, but at least they don't cost anything extra on top of the $50/year.

Message 17 of 103 (117 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Mar 15, 2013

Though many may take this as bad new I like to think of the silver-lining if you can call it that - Sony is being very price conscious as they build the PS4. That said, I think Sony learned some very valuable lessons with the PS3, mainly that over-engineering or packing a console with too much tech is expensive and the market won't necessarily jump on the bandwagon b/c of sheer specs. 

Not sure what the launch price of the PS4 will be but odds are it won't be $599.

Message 18 of 103 (115 Views)
Survivor
2536 posts

Mar 15, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

If you 'save' money by buying 4 and 5 year old games on sale for $0.99-9.99, that is... New releases on Steam are generally the same price as retail in my experience ($50-60), and typically require hardware upgrades to run.  Of course, most IGC releases on PS+ are older games, as well, but at least they don't cost anything extra on top of the $50/year.

You are talking about GoG. Steam deals with new games; if you think only old games are cheap your information isn't up to date. As an example, from Fri to Mon, there's a sale on all Ubisoft's games, putting ACIII at a price cheaper than the PS3 / XBOX 360's versions. The sales, bundles and amount of content available is something that PSN can't compete with yet~.

Message 19 of 103 (111 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11152 posts

Mar 15, 2013

fleinn wrote:

The irony of the ps4 being literally PC hardware you can buy on the market right now really is completely lost on you, isn't it?

Well...  not *right* now...  the AMD Jaguar 8-core processor is not yet available, though you can get AMD 8-core processors (an FX-8350 4.2GHz CPU will currently set you back about $200).  The rumored AMD Radeon HD 7870 currently runs around $250.

The 8GB of GDDR5 RAM cannot be purchased as a system component, either. 

Message 20 of 103 (110 Views)
0 Likes