Mar 14 2013
By: deaofly Fender Bender 3209 posts

NVIDIA opted out of PS4!!!

102 replies 576 views Edited Mar 14, 2013
NVIDIA opted out of PlayStation 4, cites Sony not offering enough money

Having produced the graphics chips that powered both the original Xbox and the PlayStation 3, it was a surprise to see NVIDIA's name left out of Sony's big PlayStation 4 reveal event last month. But there was AMD, picking up the empty spot left by NVIDIA, powering the PS4 with its 8-core "Jaguar" CPU and Radeon GPU. So, what happened? While we don't know the specifics of how AMD won the contract, NVIDIA's senior VP of content and tech Tony Tamasi tells GameSpot that his company, "Didn't want to do the business at the price those guys [Sony] were willing to pay."

In so many words, Tamasi says NVIDIA weighed its options against other potential products the company would be working on --rather than producing discreet tech for a single console manufacturer, thus being unable to use said tech elsewhere -- and decided against it. "We had to look at console business as an opportunity cost. If we say, did a console, what other piece of our business would we put on hold to chase after that?" he tells the game site.

NVIDIA is indeed working on a variety of new products, including an Android-powered Tegra 4 gaming handheld called Project Shield. That's in addition to its bread-and-butter business of PC GPU development -- the company recently unveiled its Titan GPU, a $1,000 card with enough power to keep your gaming graphics needs met for years to come (or at least we sure hope so at that price).

Spurce http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/14/nvidia-playstation-4/

Wow that's crazy, what do you guys think?
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 1 of 103 (576 Views)
Lombax Warrior
135 posts

Re: NVIDIA opted out of PS4!!!

Mar 14, 2013

Maybe during the previous generations PC gaming would have been better than consoles but IMO, I think its slowly shifting sides. With PC all you can use is your mouse, game controller and your keyboard. with the PS3 you can use move controllers, the camera etc. There are even other things like blu ray that would make gamers prefer Playstation over PC. (most PC's don't have blu ray)

Message 2 of 103 (568 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8179 posts

Mar 14, 2013

deaofly wrote:
Titan GPU, a $1,000 card with enough power to keep your gaming graphics needs met for years to come

Not. Worth. It.

Message 3 of 103 (541 Views)
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Mar 14, 2013
Haha Yea I wouldn't spend that much on a graphics card ether. Maybe $400 would be my limit but I have the rest of the computer to think about also.
Message 4 of 103 (533 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8179 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 14, 2013

deaofly wrote:
Haha Yea I wouldn't spend that much on a graphics card ether. Maybe $400 would be my limit but I have the rest of the computer to think about also.

$400 is the maximum I'll spend on a PC, laptop or desktop. But I get picky even after $200.

I don't use anything on a PC that can max it out.

Message 5 of 103 (526 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
379 posts

Mar 14, 2013

JamesBlessonS wrote:

Maybe during the previous generations PC gaming would have been better than consoles but IMO, I think its slowly shifting sides. With PC all you can use is your mouse, game controller and your keyboard. with the PS3 you can use move controllers, the camera etc. There are even other things like blu ray that would make gamers prefer Playstation over PC. (most PC's don't have blu ray)

<BEGIN OFF TOPIC RANT>

I believe it would be a long time before consoles get irrelevant. I know fully well that consoles are a compromise on graphics and sheer performance. I know I can potentially get better looks on a PC. I also happen to know that it will be mighty expensive to do so however. For instance, I got my PS3 about 2 years ago at the low low price of around $300. At that price, you will be hard pressed to get even a half assed laptop. Perhaps a "mediocre" PC. You need to spend far more to get a PC that can actually play games decently, without you having to bash your head against it every second. And alas, in a year or two it gets outdated and now it can't play any games decently.

The console on the otherhand will. You can still play all the cross platform games that came out on the PC on your PS3, at a decent frame rate and with decent looking graphics. You can play some exclusive with eye popping graphics (Uncharted/God of War to name a few). And you can continue to do so at the low low price of $300..

So no matter what a PC playa says, he can keep his supercharged PC while I'll play on my PS3 and have a heftier wallet. Thanks!

<END RANT>

Sorry for the slight off topic here. But I was compelled to say this when JamesBlessonS mentioned this in his statement.

Message 6 of 103 (512 Views)
VP of Gaming
30942 posts

Mar 14, 2013

deaofly wrote:

Titan GPU, a $1,000 card with enough power to keep your gaming graphics needs met for years to come (or at least we sure hope so at that price).

At that price, that thing better cure cancer, make food and run the country Smiley Very Happy 

Message 7 of 103 (511 Views)
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Mar 14, 2013
But I do think its was all about money, as the dude from Nvidea said Sony not offering enough money. But that could go both ways as to why Sony didn't want to fork over more money. Nvidea prides themselves on graphics but My Tegra 2 CPU/GPU phone only has a few games that makes real use of it. Then a year later........Tegra 3 and nothing really coming out for my phone. Now Tegra 4 is coming out this year lol its a never ending cycle with Phones and tablets. I was always a AMD graphics card person anyway Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 103 (505 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2142 posts

Mar 14, 2013

deaofly wrote:
 NVIDIA's senior VP of content and tech Tony Tamasi tells GameSpot that his company, "Didn't want to do the business at the price those guys [Sony] were willing to pay."

Nooo.. The real question is how much did NVIDIA want.  For all we know they could of wanted WAY more than what was feasible.  We don't know if Sony's quote was too low.

I made this, want one for yourself? PM me
Message 9 of 103 (483 Views)
MVP Support
10908 posts

Mar 14, 2013

It had nothing to do with money.  I guarantee that, regardless of what anyone says.

nVidia is working on Project Shield, and I would assume they are also working on a home console of their own, also based on the Tegra platform.  They didn't want to have to deal with another generation of providing technology to the "competition".  No, I don't have information to back this up, but depending on how well Project Shield is received, I don't doubt it will happen.

I used to swear by nVidia cards, but ever since AMD merged with ATI, Radeon GPUs are quickly becoming the way to go (in a more bang for your buck sort of way).  If I ever build another PC, it will be an AMD processor, board and GPU.  My current desktop (which hasn't even been turned on in over a year) is an AMD processor (Phenom Quad-core), but an nVidia based mobo and GeForce GPU.

Message 10 of 103 (475 Views)
0 Likes