Fender Bender
3105 posts

Re: NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY ----COME ON SONY!!!!!!!

Feb 23, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Infinity_Gauntle wrote:
Wow I guess Sony has some real fanboys that can't fault Sony for anything.

fanboy NOTHING....

This is about people who think they are ENTITLED to something that they have no input of whatsoever, and those who have no amount of common sense or logical thought.....

you have 75 PS3 games? Where do you store them all..... And you're worried about a console taking up some space?

RUSerious

i never understood the argument of the "i don't have space"..i have many consoles/games on/in my entertainment center dating way back and still have plenty of room for a ps4 and even a ps5...LMAO

if you don't have space,it's time to upgrade the entertainment center and the problem is solved...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 31 of 35 (85 Views)
First Son
13 posts

Feb 23, 2013
Backwards Compatibility keeps game collections alive in case of old systems breaking after they've gone out of production. BC also reduces load times on old games. BC also benefits Sony by alowing them to resell old games on the Store without having to reprogram them. So, Mr 'Zero reasons' is wrong.

Sony not offering optional BC via add in card or higher priced SKU is freaking boneheaded. A cell CPU costs less than $35 to produce. They could sell a BC version of the PS4 for $50 more than the basic model, which should be available to the 'don't care' crowd.
Message 32 of 35 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2853 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 23, 2013

I'm glad the PS4 isn't backwards compatible. For this simple reason: They changed the architecture for the PS4.

Changing the architecture for the PS4 has enabled them to make a more developer friendly machine. Us having crappier versions of the same game that's on another platform is going to end. There will be no excuse for it. Unless of course the competition comes out with a machine that is 40% less powerful (which is rumored as of now). If that's the case then we'll only see games as good as the lowest common factor (from third party developers). And if that happens, then it almost seems pointless to have such a powerful machine.

P.S. 

A lot of people have some really 'simple fixes' to this whole backwards compatiblity issue. If you're one of those people, I'm assuming you're a wonderful engineer, You should send an application to Sony to fix this problem. I'm sure you'd get paid bucket loads of cash. Then all you would have to do is work out at the gym... you know, so you can carry the buckets of money around.

Message 33 of 35 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Feb 23, 2013

ScoldingComa7 wrote:

Backwards compatibility is a favorite feature of mine because I love the ability to play old games on new systems without having to hook and un-hook everything.

However you can't force somthing to be backwards compatible without lots of $$$. I think the PS3 was a shinning example of that.

In a way I think a company has to think about backwards compatibility before making their next console.

Nintendo is able to achieve BC on Wii U because the "Espresso" CPU is based upon the Wii "Broadway" CPU. Also the "Latte" GPU is made by ATI who also produced the "Hollywood" GPU for Wiil. Toghether these essentially provided the Wii U with native BC with Wii games and accessories.

Had Sony would have taken this route with PS4 by developing a successor for the Cell CPU and RSX GPU then the PS4 could be BC however Sony has taken a lot of flack due to the PS3. Due to the Cell & RSX being difficult to program BC on PS3 is very hard to do already. This is evident that any PS2 game released for the PS3 via the PS Store has an emulation profile and the fact Sony had to include at least the PS2's GS GPU in order for the PS3 to have any BC with PS2 titiles natively.

Sony in theroy could have included the Cell & RSX in the PS4 but this would have been expensive for not only them but for us as well and BC PS3's didn't do that well when they were released. In addition to the PS3 being hard to develop for on the consumer side it has obvious technical issues. Overheatting, YLOD, I think Sony is trying to correct these issues with PS4 which is why they went the route they did.

I don't think Microsoft's next Xbox will be BC either except for big AAA releases in each region (similar to the Xbox 360). Reason being I think they would make big AAA titles on the Xbox 360 on the next Xbox is just so they can advertise that the new Xbox is BC to get a jab at Sony and compete with Nintendo in that area.

Now moving on to the future PS Cloud I am hesitant to comment very much but if Sony is able to stream the entire PS1-PS3 library from the Cloud to acheive BC on PS4 I am all for it as it could save them and us money in terms of hardware. Theoretically I would hope that a user could insert the disc of the legacy title they want to play and the PS4 pulls the compatible version from the Cloud.

Or at least Sony could use the physical disc as a "Proof of Purchase" and grant the PS4 to play those games for free via the Cloud and just add to the player's account all the PS3 titles they have the disc for. Then if the user decides to play a PS3 game on PS4 they don't own they could buy it via PS Store and stream from the Cloud.

Again the above is me speculating about the Cloud.

Anyway I think with the PS4, Sony is using it as a re-boot to correct the mistakes of the PS3. If the PS4 becomes a hit they may want to stick with the architecture of the PS4 and upgrade it for each generation so that it new PlayStations could easliy emulate the PS4 with no added components.

Sorry for the long post.

In short if the PS4 is great for future games, reasonably priced then I will buy it even if it lacks BC.

That is what I have a 60 GB launch PS3 (with different power supply and fresh thermal paste) for. With many TVs now shipping with two or more HDMI ports it shouldn't be a problem keeping both hooked up.

My TV has two HDMI ports and I have my TiVo & Wii U sharing a port while the PS3 gets its own port. My Xbox 360 is like the "ugly stepchild" of my consoles its hooked up via componet. If I get a PS4 then I will by another HDMI switcher and my PS3 and PS4 can share an HDMI port. Smiley Happy

Now that would make a lot of sense and would be an excellent thing to do. While I doubt they would try to do so for a ps1 or ps2 game disc (No metadata on them), that would work well with PS3 blu ray discs and any psn downloads (Blu Ray discs have meta data on them that can be identified by the system and could thus connect it to the version on the cloud. Psn downloads could just be converted to the cloud for free (Losing the PSN licesne for that download of course).

In short, it would make plenty of sense to do that with ps3 discs since they will still be selling those games well for the next few years after the ps4 launches. DO that, and i'll buy your new PS4 system. Otherwise im calling it quits.

@Sony - Ditch your faulty eCommerce Payment system and get one that actually works. This is getting old real fast. But I guess you dont want our money if you wont accept funds from our cards Smiley Sad
Message 34 of 35 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
2 posts

Feb 23, 2013

I have to admit, that I almost feel for Sony on this issue.  They really need to keep the cost of the PS4 as low as possible, but at the same time if they do include the cell processor and associated hardware to give the PS4 backwards compatibility that may not be possible.  They kind of painted themselves into a corner, and will not be able to make everyone happy.

Message 35 of 35 (45 Views)
0 Likes