Wastelander
684 posts

Re: NO Angry Birds Trilogy for Vita?! W T F SONY!

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2012

Only a select few of you understand the conundrum here...

I never said that the Vita is dead.... yet.  I never bashed the system.  I am questioning motives.  Because as a human being I choose to want to understand the choices that are made.  I don't fall in line like most.  A person who thinks they are showing support by agreeing with absolutely everything that Sony does, regardless of right or wrong, shows me they have no intellectual intelligence at all.  They follow what ever Sony does because "WE ARE THE LOYALISTS! SONY CAN DO NO WRONG! EVERY DECISION THEY MAKE IS FANTASTIC!"

Where are your own thoughts?? Where are you own ideas?? Where are your questions?? You just fall in line..... for what??

The point of this discussion and the point I am making for the pea-brained is that right now the Vita isn't doing well at all.  That's a fact.  Nobody can argue against it.  It is early, but that doesn't matter.  PS2 was soo popular at launch that it was nearly impossible to find until months after release.  Look at the Wii, those things flew off the shelves and was hard to find for almost two years after launch.  And I want you to question WHY that happened and see the difference of WHAT is happening here.

I invested in to this system because I believed in what Sony has said at TGS and E3.  I'll admit I was very hesitant at first because I was majorly let down with the PSP and the reason why I get very frustrated with the poor decisions is because that's what the life of the PSP was; once released, it was poor decision after poor decision.  What happened to the marketing?  Do any of you even know that there was a Southpark Episode about the PSP and that it was so amazing it was created by GOD??  Even with that, the market fell for it because of the issues it came with.  I don't want that to happen again so I get very peeved when I see a great way for this system to generate profit and things are just turned away or nothing comes up for it. 

What makes a great system? Look back at SNES... or maybe that is too far back for you kids.....well here's a little history: SNES is by far, the most popular, well-rounded console to date, where PS2 comes in a very close 2nd.  Both of these systems catored to WIDE audiences from the Casual to the Hardcore.  There was something for everybody and that's what makes a great system. 

When I see things get pushed aside, get negelected, with no reason for it, yeah... that gets me irritated.  Regardless how early it is for this console, majority of other consoles, ESPECIALLY at LAUNCH, have a LIST of BIG games that are coming in the future for it.  What have we seen? We are just told that "Oh 60 games are coming to Vita by the end of 2012, but we won't tell you what they are except for two."  Is there even a release date for LBP which was supposed to be a Launch title?

Yes I get upset with every little flaw that they make regarding the Vita because they have a history of shooting themselves in the foot wayyy too often. 

This isn't a bash, this is discussing poor decisions that are going to affect the longevity of our $300+ system. 

You will say "WAIT AND SEE IT's STill TOO EaRLY" and I am going to do that.  But I have said before I hope things become much cleaner and clearer by the end of Spring '13.  Especially with things like this, Angry Birds would only help the Handheld. 

Arguring against not getting a game is just unbelievable.  It doesn't matter if you don't play it or don't like it, that's just YOU.  You are not the only person on this planet.  You are not the only person who owns a Vita.  Any game that the system gets regardless of what "Type of game" is only beneficial to the system.  I mean did any of you see the PSN Store Update Yesterday?  How much software was given to the Vita?? 1 add-on pack for Gravity Rush.  Yeah.  I do not enjoy seeing this already 6 months in to the life cycle of the system and I do not enjoy when i see that the console I bought isn't being properly supported.  It is almost like deja-vu with the PSP, so I argue because this is not what I want.  I want Sony to pick up their slack and do what they say they are going to do.

End of Discussion.

edit: removed insult

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 49 (248 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7599 posts

Jul 11, 2012

So you want a 99c game (and even that's a ripoff) to go up on PSN for the Vita for $10-15?

Sure, it would possibly sell to those who already have a Vita.  Angry Birds will NOT sell Vitas, because it is already available on the devices people already have.  THAT is why I don't care to see Angry Birds get ported to the Vita.  The market is already flooded with systems and devices it has already been on for two years.

Own a computer?  Download Google Chrome and get Angry Birds for free.

Again, who cares about Angry Birds?  From a business standpoint, it really would make no difference.

What do I think would sell Vitas?  A pack-in game or two (or a $50 PSN voucher) would help, as well as a decent size (8GB?) memory card.  A price drop certainly wouldn't hurt.  And considering you can find deals that include a $50 gift card with purchase regularly, I think a price drop is a feasible option at this point.

Releasing a vastly overpriced CASUAL GAME for the Vita is not going to help ANYTHING.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 49 (240 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7599 posts

Jul 11, 2012

Sony could raid Apple's App Store and Android's GooglePlay for every casual game in their catalogs and it would make exactly ZERO difference.  Even if Sony put every game up on the PSN Store for 99c, it would make no difference.  Why? Because people already have devices that play those games.

While you are all hopped up on Angry Birds mania, you fail to truly understand anything.

It's not about quantity, but about quality and familiarity.

You bring up the fact that Nintendo systems have been flying off the shelves since 1984.  I bet you don't recognize the one thing that EVERY NINTENDO SYSTEM HAS HAD IN COMMON.  To give you a hint: It's not Angry Birds, but it has similarities when it comes to Angry Birds' iconic nature.  It is an ICON that has been around since 1982.  And it has ONLY been available on Nintendo Systems since its release.

The one thing Sony really, REALLY needs to do is get back to these 3 words:

ONLY ON PLAYSTATION.

Think about it.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 49 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
684 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2012

Your logic is not correct because all I have to say to this is: "Steam".  Look at how they market and strategize their business and tell me again that having little games like this is not beneficial. 

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 49 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2483 posts

Jul 11, 2012
You know, I can understand both sides of the argument. Angry Birds on PS Vita wouldn't be such a bad idea, from the perspective of having another popular game in it's catalog/portfolio/library. I'm sure there might be an audience that might benefit from this too, there's gotta be some PS Vita owners who are willing to pay for Angry Birds, people who don't own a smart phone and/or are not aware they can get it free through Chrome. The problem with depending on Chrome for Angry Birds is that it's not portable, unless you want to take your laptop with you.
On the other hand, the gaming market is awfully over saturated with this game. And not just the game it's self. I was at a county fair last year and it seemed like half of the carny booths had nothing but Angry Birds prizes. I was pretty close to deleting my 3 games from my iPhone because I'm sick of seeing and hearing about Angry Birds.
My personal feelings aside, I think my first point trumps the second. There should still be a PS Vita version, perhaps there will be one and they haven't announced it yet, like a special version that includes Angry Birds Space. We'll just have to wait and see.
U R Not e . Enos Lives . PLAY B3YOND . ixnine . I love Nariko! . WipEout . Home . PlayStation Network . Tearaway . the Last of Us
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 49 (208 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7599 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2012

Having games available ONLY ON PLAYSTATION would be beneficial.

Having games 'borrowed' from other devices would not benefit Sony, because people already have the devices that those games were originally designed for.  What would make the average person decide one day to give up their iPod and drop $300 on a new system?  They can already play Angry Birds or Plants vs Zombies on what they already have.

I'm telling you, "ONLY ON PLAYSTATION" is the way to go.

Sony needs to come up with a concept and character that will appeal to ALL AGES, then release a game with that concept/character ONLY ON VITA.

It is exactly what worked for Nintendo 30 years ago.  And Angry Birds is an example of how fast something can take off.  According to Rovio, it was a success from day one.  Angry Birds was all over Finland the day after the game was first released.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 49 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1676 posts

Jul 11, 2012

CaptJimboJones wrote:

(although, full disclosure, I did buy PvZ for the Vita!)

I did as well, Vita is the best version of PvZ IMO.  I can't get that last Zen Garden trophy though, still need like 5 or so plants.  NO DROPS!

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 49 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2483 posts

Jul 11, 2012
"Only on PlayStation" is not always the best answer, but it is always a great incentive and adds value to the PlayStation brand. Imagine if PS3 didn't get multiplatform games, like Portal 2 or Assassin's Creed, because Sony said, "No thanks. We already have LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted."?
U R Not e . Enos Lives . PLAY B3YOND . ixnine . I love Nariko! . WipEout . Home . PlayStation Network . Tearaway . the Last of Us
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 49 (227 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7599 posts

Jul 11, 2012

Obviously, I'm not talking about Sony going exclusively to first party support, but what Sony really, REALLY needs is to find its "Mario".

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 49 (222 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11442 posts

Jul 11, 2012

BBurgSteve wrote:

Obviously, I'm not talking about Sony going exclusively to first party support, but what Sony really, REALLY needs is to find its "Mario".

In other words, it needs the reason for people to actually drop whatever game system they are currently playing (whether that be an actual game device, or like a smartphone) and go buy a Vita.

And by the way Optimus, I don't defend Sony. You say I think Sony can do no wrong. It's more of "I care less about it than you do and won't throw a hissy fit because I didn't get what I want".

Unlike many people here, I don't have many expenses (And during the Summer time, I have no expenses other than my cell phone bill). So any money I earn goes straight to whatever I want. So the fact that I dropped $250+ on a system with some lack of software isn't really "killer". Besides, seeing as people thought the 3DS was completely dead were obviously wrong. And it took the 3DS a long time to get back on track.

Regardless, I'm just saying that you're making this HUGE BIG DEAL about the Vita not getting an overpriced game. I just downloaded all 4 Angry Birds games (because Angry Birds Space isn't in that Trilogy) on my Galaxy S3 for FREE. I'm sure anyone else who has an Android phone did the same (and anyone with iPhones, paid the 99 cents for them a long time ago).

Roughly 40% of the US own a smartphone of some kind. 76% own a computer. So that's a VERY small market that has no accessibility to the Angry Birds games. Releasing them on the Vita as BBurgSteve has pointed out, would have NO effect on Vita sales. And that's what Sony is going after. People don't want fluff games. You can already see many people complaining about how the Vita has been getting nothing but ports. Even you Optimus, are disappointed that titles like ACIII and Black Ops 2 are just "side games". 

So instead of worrying about a game that has no market value on the Vita whatsoever, why not just press Sony to, you know, release VITA games? Games that can only be found on the Vita?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 49 (214 Views)
0 Likes