Apr 08 2011
By: Kajros Hekseville Citizen 305 posts

NGP and Backwards Compatibility with PSP Games and PSOne Classics?

10 replies 19 views Edited Apr 8, 2011

With the NGP to have backwards compatibility with PSP Games and PSOne classics as well, is there hope for more PSP Games to hit PSN?   Many of the games I have on UMD are still not on the PSN just yet.  Will it be likely to see many of them to invade the PSN soon before NGP launch??

Message 1 of 11 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Re: NGP and Backwards Compatibility with PSP Games and PSOne Classics?

Apr 8, 2011

The NGP will function like PSP GO as far as how to get games. No way to put in the PSP physical titles. Over PSN only. PSone classics will be supported, as well as many PSN games. No word wheather PS2 games that have gotten the HD treatment will be playable on the NGP.

Message 2 of 11 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
305 posts

Apr 8, 2011

Question is will they make PSP games that are UMD only available on PSN soon?   Such as Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core!  That would be nice.

Message 3 of 11 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Apr 8, 2011

No word on that yet, sony is still figuring out how to support older PSP titles.

Message 4 of 11 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Apr 8, 2011

Kajros wrote:

Question is will they make PSP games that are UMD only available on PSN soon?   Such as Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core!  That would be nice.

Probably not as there will still be the same contract and distrubution rights problems they have at the moment.

Message 5 of 11 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

Apr 8, 2011

No they won't, unless the publishers of the game can and want to put there games up.

Sony basically has put up digital versions of all there great PSP games, as far as what I can tell anyway. Resistance, Killzone, both God of Wars, motorstorm, you get the idea. I guess all the first party titles are on the PS store, it is really the third party titles that aren't on as much as they should be.

That doesn't have to do with Sony as much as it does with the publishers of those games, or whoever has the rights.

Message 6 of 11 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 9, 2011

I want to see Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and Crises Core at the PSN store. I no longer have a PSP and would rather just play them on the NGP.

Message 7 of 11 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1685 posts

Apr 9, 2011

Icestar10 wrote:

I want to see Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and Crises Core at the PSN store. I no longer have a PSP and would rather just play them on the NGP.

Unless the publishers for some reason decide to put it on the store, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Whatever reason they haven't put them there yet, they will probably continue to have.

lensflare15 Trophy Card
Message 8 of 11 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 9, 2011

yea it is like that with all the UMD titles and other PS1 and PS2 titles.... People like to say copyright BS

Well I am going to say it seems if you just look at Capcom that for some reason these copyrights do not apply to them cause they have manage to release, re release, re master so many titles that I have to chalk it up to the publishers marketing research of well how much money will we make if we put it in that form too.....So obviously Capcom has had the best titles since day one being as IMHO they have the most titles released over PSN that have been remastered or re released as PSN content and still hit us with so many SF versions and Still manage to put out a fresh new series Lost Planet and then gave us MvsC 2 on PSN and then MvsC 3 on disc form etc.

Are we to say that only Capcom has the Croat to do such a thing and midway and EA doesn't..... Or is it that Madden 91' is no where near a money maker as Street Fighter 2 (both from the SNES) EA Replay was a UMD and still is.....I want it on PSN I will buy it.....Capcom Classic Reloaded and Remixed managed to make it to PSN just fine after being released UMD first. when yeta they still had 2 other Capcom Collections on PS2 and basically they are the same one s on the reloaded and remixed

Does any one really know how many Street Fighters they have released and brought over to PS's, PSN and as well made a he11a lot more Street Fighters....are we to assume SF is so tight that when Capcom made there copyright they said well Street Fighter is gonna be so sweet we need to make sure in the agreement we can re release any and all of the franchise on any and all platforms because come PS3 people will want the classic SF remasterd in HD cause that is just how tight SF is

Sorry for the rant I just had a fash back about this guy using copyright as an excuse of why certain PS1,PS2, and UMD titles don't make it to PSN

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 9 of 11 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Apr 11, 2011

StuByph wrote:

yea it is like that with all the UMD titles and other PS1 and PS2 titles.... People like to say copyright BS

Well I am going to say it seems if you just look at Capcom that for some reason these copyrights do not apply to them cause they have manage to release, re release, re master so many titles that I have to chalk it up to the publishers marketing research of well how much money will we make if we put it in that form too.....So obviously Capcom has had the best titles since day one being as IMHO they have the most titles released over PSN that have been remastered or re released as PSN content and still hit us with so many SF versions and Still manage to put out a fresh new series Lost Planet and then gave us MvsC 2 on PSN and then MvsC 3 on disc form etc.

Are we to say that only Capcom has the Croat to do such a thing and midway and EA doesn't..... Or is it that Madden 91' is no where near a money maker as Street Fighter 2 (both from the SNES) EA Replay was a UMD and still is.....I want it on PSN I will buy it.....Capcom Classic Reloaded and Remixed managed to make it to PSN just fine after being released UMD first. when yeta they still had 2 other Capcom Collections on PS2 and basically they are the same one s on the reloaded and remixed

Does any one really know how many Street Fighters they have released and brought over to PS's, PSN and as well made a he11a lot more Street Fighters....are we to assume SF is so tight that when Capcom made there copyright they said well Street Fighter is gonna be so sweet we need to make sure in the agreement we can re release any and all of the franchise on any and all platforms because come PS3 people will want the classic SF remasterd in HD cause that is just how tight SF is

Sorry for the rant I just had a fash back about this guy using copyright as an excuse of why certain PS1,PS2, and UMD titles don't make it to PSN

Madden and other sports titles have large many page contracts to use the faces, likenesses, logos, voices and stadia of all the people, teams, leagues, etc.

Those contracts are very tight and involve a lot of money and lawyers. If it was not written into the original contract that there will be PSP PSN release not many companies will go back and re-write the contracts for all of those people involved, and make sure they are legally sound, and then those people would have to get their lawyers to make sure the contracts are legally tight, and then everyone will have to get together to sign the contracts, I can't see it happening. Also what happens if one of those people do not want their likeness (or whatever) to be distributed on the PSP PSN? Do they have to remake the game in order to satisfy that person just so that a few extra people may buy that game? Or maybe this was the reason it was not originally put out as a PSN release at the time of main release.

As to Kingdom Hearts, everyone knows that Disney have a big problem letting other companies be incontrol of there characters, I think it was amazing that franchise got started in the first place, but they had decided that they did not want any of there games available on the PSN, hence threason Sony took down a lot of the Disney PSOne classics that they had put on there, now something must have been sorted out because they are now back on the PSN.

Now another problem is the percieved amount of piracy that is on the PSP, companies avoid expending too much time and effort if they think that their game will be pirated. The thing they are getting wrong is that the UMDs are the items that have inherently been copied not the PSN download, so making a UMD release has not really helped to combat that. (but I am no expert on pracy issues and I have never attempted to use any ISOs and I do not know what the current status of the field are).

Message 10 of 11 (19 Views)
0 Likes