0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Re: NGP GDC live blog:

Mar 2, 2011

So far these are some notables:

- Games: 2gb - 4gb

- lots of VRAM

edit: the 500 number was likely not related to RAM.

Message 2 of 10 (22 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Mar 2, 2011

Hmmm. Interesting.

The blogger has written that some kind of AR (augmented reality) object sensing feature on the NGP. The NGP seems to scan a picture of a Trex, the camera id's it and the Trex turns to life.

The NGP also has head detection and head tracking.

Message 3 of 10 (22 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Mar 2, 2011

Sony_NGP_back_2--article_image.jpg

Sony_NGP_back_side--article_image.jpg

Sony_NGP_button_detail--article_image.jpg

Sony_NGP_front_2--article_image.jpg

Sony_NGP_profile--article_image.jpg

Here is another persons pictures taken from GDC,

Message 4 of 10 (22 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Mar 2, 2011

Whoa, I can't believe it but, it appears as if Sony have managed to sneak one feature into the NGP; z-axis touch (aka pressure sensitive touch).

It was referenced to in the blog but, here is what was reported in wired.com as well,

There’s a touchscreen on the front and also on the back, which you can manipulate with the fingers you’re using to hold the NGP. Both touchscreens support multitouch, and can register how hard you are pressing them as well. A quick demo with a developer from BigBig studios showed the rear touchscreen being used to deform a cartoon landscape to roll a ball around, while touching the front touchscreen changed the camera angle and position.

the features could simply be software emulated pressure however, as touching the both over time, there could probably be some algorithms placed such as time x touch = faux pressure sensitivity.

Sony has not mentioned anything to specific about whether or not it does indeed include their patented z-axis touch technology demoed not to long ago at least, that would need video evidence and more clarification.

The implications of pressure sensitive touch control input would only be positive when taking into account back, front multi touch as it expands the hardware tools available for developers.

Message 5 of 10 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3376 posts

Mar 3, 2011

I would like to know what were those features that they planned to remove to cut out the price.

I guess it was GPS and 3G

Message 6 of 10 (22 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Mar 3, 2011

Wakefulness wrote:

Whoa, I can't believe it but, it appears as if Sony have managed to sneak one feature into the NGP; z-axis touch (aka pressure sensitive touch).

It was referenced to in the blog but, here is what was reported in wired.com as well,

There’s a touchscreen on the front and also on the back, which you can manipulate with the fingers you’re using to hold the NGP. Both touchscreens support multitouch, and can register how hard you are pressing them as well. A quick demo with a developer from BigBig studios showed the rear touchscreen being used to deform a cartoon landscape to roll a ball around, while touching the front touchscreen changed the camera angle and position.

the features could simply be software emulated pressure however, as touching the both over time, there could probably be some algorithms placed such as time x touch = faux pressure sensitivity.

Sony has not mentioned anything to specific about whether or not it does indeed include their patented z-axis touch technology demoed not to long ago at least, that would need video evidence and more clarification.

The implications of pressure sensitive touch control input would only be positive when taking into account back, front multi touch as it expands the hardware tools available for developers.

Edit, it is pretty much faux pressure sensitive according to eurogamer,

He revealed that NGP's front touch screen and rear touch pad could detect how hard players were pressing on them. Rather than using pressure sensors, this "analogue strength reading" would be achieved by detecting how large a surface area of the player's fingertips were pressed against the screen.

Pretty innacurate way of going about it since not everyone's fingers have the same surface area. Really big let down but than again, it was assumed it would use

piezoelectric sensors (which are still a bit experimental but, are actual hardware sensors).

Ideally, the software found in the NGP would measure a players fingers over time and map them for sensitivity rather than assume measurements as someone with fat fingers could incidentatly cause a lot of strange inputs. Conversely, someone with thin fingers would have the opposite affect on touch.

Here's the full eurogamer article:

Message 7 of 10 (22 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Mar 3, 2011

Nowhere on the blog or articles was that mentioned. It could only be assumed that cutting out 3G and GPS chips out of the wifi only NGP model would save Sony some money and therefore, the wifi only NGP could be cheaper.

Message 8 of 10 (22 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7231 posts

Mar 3, 2011

i just saw the engadget Uncharted NGP video , man its looking really really good and fun to play , cant wait !!!!!

Message 9 of 10 (22 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Mar 4, 2011

remanutd5 wrote:

i just saw the engadget Uncharted NGP video , man its looking really really good and fun to play , cant wait !!!!!

Engadget was also spamming people with ipad 2G news that entire day. Those types of blogs are quite good however, spamming the entire engadget.com front page with ipad related news really is bad for a balanced website. There was a portal made by engadget to take out Apple new however, it is not nearly as publiziesed as the main page's, image and links all to do with Apple. This type of bias really is what seperates blogs from proffesional sources such as the WSJ.

In terms of Uncharted for the NGP, the gyroscope would be a nice feature. It would be great to use the gyros to swing drake around like a monkey. Very entertaining. (Not being sarcastic, just a bit ironic)

Message 10 of 10 (22 Views)
0 Likes