Apr 17 2011
By: PhantomOfPanton Sackboy 586 posts

NGP - 3G? Just add phone capabilities!

7 replies 37 views Edited Apr 17, 2011

We all know that the NGP will be released in a wi-fi model, as well as a wi-fi and 3G model.

So if there is going to be a 3G model...why not add phone capabilities? You know, texting and phone calling.

Texting doesn't seem like it would be a problem, there are allready FREE texting apps for portable such as the "itouch"

All you need to have to for those texting apps is wi-fi! So I guess texting could work on any NGP model, the texting app just needs to be approved by Sony!

Then there is Skype, which we have seen on the PSP. Skype allows you to call all other skype users for free. And if you would like to call a tellephone/cellphone number, you would pay a small fee to do so.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So skype and a texting app on a wi-fi or a 3G model seems pretty awesome. The texting is basically the same experience you would have on any paid service of texting. But skype isn't quite on par to phone services...

I assume there will be a fee for the 3G on the NGP? Why not include free texting with that fee as a standard? If an app on smart devices can do it for free, why can't the NGP? I think that would be an extremely awesome thing to include with the NGP 3G model.

What about calling? Texting for free can allready be done on wi-fi and 3G for free with the right app, so what about calling?

It would be great if Sony or any phone such as Verizon could provide a calling service!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are no released details about fees and payment methods for the NGP 3G models, hopefully there will be soon. Since we basically know nothing yet, I suppose it is possible that texting and calling are allready a part of the NGP 3G model. All I'm saying is that I hope it is an option!

The NGP seems to have everything that smart devices have, but much much more! What is it missing besides texting and calling? I can't think of anything it is missing.

The NGP could easily become the leader in portable devices, all it needs is phone capabilities!

Message 1 of 8 (37 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Re: NGP - 3G? Just add phone capabilities!

Apr 17, 2011

I guess its okay, but what's the point of the NGP is your just going to use it as a phone? The NGP should be used as a Gaming System not a Phone. If you really want a Phone, then get a smartphone. Although If they make a GSM version, just hopefully Its unlocked. I really hate it when phones are locked to a particular carrier.

Why not include free texting with that fee as a standard?

- This usually depends on the carrier. You can get a plan for Unlimited Text, especially if your using Prepaid. I don't think Free Text will be a standard.

It would be great if Sony or any phone such as Verizon could provide a calling service!

- What about for GSM Users like AT&T, T-Mobile, and many carriers worldwide? I would like the functionality to switch SIM Cards. And like I said above, I don't want it to be locked to a particular carrier. Otherwise we have to hack it to unlock it. Just like the iPhone. I just hope its Unlocked to use any carrier.

There are no released details about fees and payment methods for the NGP 3G models, hopefully there will be soon.

- Yeah not yet. Only when the NGP is released, carriers might offer Plans for NGP 3G users.

Message 2 of 8 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

Apr 17, 2011

Ix_DarkDragon_ wrote:

I guess its okay, but what's the point of the NGP is your just going to use it as a phone? The NGP should be used as a Gaming System not a Phone. If you really want a Phone, then get a smartphone. Although If they make a GSM version, just hopefully Its unlocked. I really hate it when phones are locked to a particular carrier.

Why not include free texting with that fee as a standard?

- This usually depends on the carrier. You can get a plan for Unlimited Text, especially if your using Prepaid. I don't think Free Text will be a standard.

- What about for GSM Users like AT&T, T-Mobile, and many carriers worldwide? I would like the functionality to switch SIM Cards. And like I said above, I don't want it to be locked to a particular carrier. Otherwise we have to hack it to unlock it. Just like the iPhone. I just hope its Unlocked to use any carrier.

There are no released details about fees and payment methods for the NGP 3G models, hopefully there will be soon.

- Yeah not yet. Only when the NGP is released, carriers might offer Plans for NGP 3G users.

I intend to use it as a gaming machine...it would just be great and extremely convienient to have a phone service with the NGP. The whole point of this thread is that the NGP makes smartphones obsolete, all it is missing is a phone service. Why the hell would I buy an NGP and a smart phone?

Did you not read at all? I was saying it could be a free application for texting, as seen on the itouch, and other smart devices.

I said such as Verizon, I did not say only Verizon. But yes I hate when phones are locked to one carrier! D:

Well of course carriers will only offer plans when the NGP is released...it's not like they will offer a plan when the product hasn't even come out yet...

Message 3 of 8 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 17, 2011

PhantomOfPanton wrote:

We all know that the NGP will be released in a wi-fi model, as well as a wi-fi and 3G model.

So if there is going to be a 3G model...why not add phone capabilities? You know, texting and phone calling.

Texting doesn't seem like it would be a problem, there are allready FREE texting apps for portable such as the "itouch"

All you need to have to for those texting apps is wi-fi! So I guess texting could work on any NGP model, the texting app just needs to be approved by Sony!

Then there is Skype, which we have seen on the PSP. Skype allows you to call all other skype users for free. And if you would like to call a tellephone/cellphone number, you would pay a small fee to do so.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So skype and a texting app on a wi-fi or a 3G model seems pretty awesome. The texting is basically the same experience you would have on any paid service of texting. But skype isn't quite on par to phone services...

I assume there will be a fee for the 3G on the NGP? Why not include free texting with that fee as a standard? If an app on smart devices can do it for free, why can't the NGP? I think that would be an extremely awesome thing to include with the NGP 3G model.

What about calling? Texting for free can allready be done on wi-fi and 3G for free with the right app, so what about calling?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are no released details about fees and payment methods for the NGP 3G models, hopefully there will be soon. Since we basically know nothing yet, I suppose it is possible that texting and calling are allready a part of the NGP 3G model. All I'm saying is that I hope it is an option!

The NGP seems to have everything that smart devices have, but much much more! What is it missing besides texting and calling? I can't think of anything it is missing.

The NGP could easily become the leader in portable devices, all it needs is phone capabilities!

There is that built in mic sooo. And they better not get rid of skype on the NGP. It seems to me that the NGP having the ability to have a phone service option would take away on the Xperia Play sales. Because of that I see Sony not allowing the NGP to be used as a phone. But like I just said they better not get rid of skype.

Yes why not be free. I don't understand why I have to pay for Hulu on the PS3....but I bet they will come up with the same motif for a charge to text with the NGP those bastions.

I swear if E3 does not answer all we need to know about the NGP....(jumping around all pumped up to fight Mike Tyson wit my 5 foot 140 pound self)......I'ma.....I'ma....whoooooweeeeee!!!!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 4 of 8 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

Apr 18, 2011

When I think about it...I don't really need 3G! I allready have my cellphone for calling and texting, I don't need the NGP to have it.

It would get annoying having a little thing pop up saying you got a text during a serious cinematic or gameplay!

It would be great to surf the web on the go, and play online. But if I'm out in public, then theres tons of places to sit at that have free wi-fi.

What do I want to do when I'm outside of the house with my NGP? Play games, what can I do without 3G? Not play online? 3G is only good when you don't have a wi-fi connection, like in the car! Other than that, I can't think of a situation where I'd need 3G!

I just hope the GPS will still work without 3G, is that possible?

Message 5 of 8 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 18, 2011

Yea the 3G will be needed in order to get that GPS I believe......IDK if 3G is in my Tom Tom One XL and that thing is a lil old.

Yea a phone call or text in the middle of playing....or using up all your battery playing then you get a call your wife is in labor...but that 6 hours of KillZone on the NGP cut your battery so low all you could say was "Hello?"

Defiantly not a good time to tell your woman your battery went dead.

As well I touch on it in the NGP's 3G I made I think we made them within the hour of each other.

Been a while since I was on a plane is there WiFi on them. I have to say as well there are a lot of places there is free WiFi but there are just as many that require password and that there is no WiFi at all.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 6 of 8 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

Apr 18, 2011

How much do you think the fee will be? I guess an accurate estimate can't really be made until we know what the features will be!

But with what we do know, so far it sounds like it is just what you could do with wi-fi, but wherever you are, with the addition of 3G.

How much do you think it will cost a month?

Message 7 of 8 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 18, 2011

NGP & Xperia™ PLAY

NGP's 3G

You know I am not sure but as I have been talking here to see what others know about Smart Phones being I have never had a smart....I hope that Verizon and AT&T have a Xperia Play NGP 3G support plan that cuts you a good deal. This is what I am shooting for the XP is said to release this month. hopefully I will have one before I have my NGP. So only time will tell.

But I bet there will be some sort of deal through these companies....and I have only heard the Verizon and AT&T are supporting the XP so I will have to say that they will as well support the NGP's 3G service.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 8 of 8 (37 Views)
0 Likes