Apr 05 2013
By: PureGodStar First Son 2 posts

NAT type 2

5 replies 203 views Edited Apr 5, 2013
I plug my modem into ps3 and test connection it says type 1 but when I setup the netgear router it says type 2 wired and wireless and I even tryd puting in the port numbers in the port forwarding and it still doesnt change to type 1 what do I do
Message 1 of 6 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Re: NAT type 2

Apr 5, 2013

you want type 2..with type 1 you are wide open to intruders and nat2 works fine for everything..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 2 of 6 (200 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 5, 2013
Lair im not getting the connection speeds that I should be getting and I always have these backlag when I play black ops 2
Message 3 of 6 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Platinum
55471 posts

Apr 5, 2013

PureGodStar wrote:
I plug my modem into ps3 and test connection it says type 1 but when I setup the netgear router it says type 2 wired and wireless and I even tryd puting in the port numbers in the port forwarding and it still doesnt change to type 1 what do I do

You can ONLY get nat type 1 by plugging directly into your modem

Nat type 2 is fine for going through your router

Nat type 3 is bad for the PS3

Message 4 of 6 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3321 posts

Apr 5, 2013

PureGodStar wrote:
Lair im not getting the connection speeds that I should be getting and I always have these backlag when I play black ops 2

then you need a better internet connection...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 5 of 6 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6532 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 5, 2013

NAT types are a connection status not connection quality/speed.  NAT (Network Address Translation) or in the case of the PS3; Public IP to Private IP address Translation Status.

Type 1: INTERNET<MODEM<PS3 : The IP on the PS3 is NOT on a Private network, The IP on the PS3 is Publicly accessible.

Type 2: INTERNET<MODEM<ROUTER<PS3 : The IP on the PS3 is on a Private network, all ports needed for communication are open.

Type 3: INTERNET<MODEM<ROUTER<PS3 : The IP on the PS3 is on a Private network, all ports needed for communication are NOT open.  You may have issues and all features may not accessible.

There is a forth condition, but that 'normally' wouldn't happen in residential setting.  You could have a PS3 with a 'Public' IP but has port access controlled by a Firewall.  If all ports needed were accessible it would be a Type 1.  If not all the ports were accessible I don't know what the NAT Type would result in; I'm guessing a Type 3... But that wouldn't be entirely accurate since there is no address translation going on.

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 6 of 6 (162 Views)
0 Likes