Jan 13 2010
By: FillerKiller First Son 6 posts

NAT Type 3 Issues

19 replies 12692 views Edited Jan 13, 2010
Alright, here is the story. I've been messing around with my Belkin wireless router for a few days, and finally the UPnP is avalible on the ps3. Now my only problem is the fact that I still have a NAT Type 3 connection. Any suggestions to change the 3 to a 2?
Message 1 of 20 (12,692 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Re: NAT Type 3 Issues

Jan 13, 2010
I have a Belkin wireless too.  I just got it last week.  I have 2 PS3's set up, and my main one had no Issues with UPnP and NAT type 2, but the other one said UPnP was unavailible and it is set for NAT type 3.  Kinda weird, but for my needs on the second PS3, its all good, I don't use that one for online play.  I am sure there is a setting on the router set up page to fix it, but I have been too lazy to look for it.  I did put my main PS3 in the DMZ and maybe thats why it has the correct settings.. I didn't check before I did the DMZ thing.
Message 2 of 20 (12,692 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 14, 2010
Hmmmm, yeah that is weird. I've got my PS3 setup for the DMZ also. I even had my friend join my party yesterday on COD5, but that is the only time it has worked in about a month . Now it isnt working, thats why Im so confused . I'll take a look at the router settings again though....if you find out how to set up the TCP and UCP (I think its UCP) ports tell me please
Message 3 of 20 (12,692 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Jan 14, 2010

Are there any firmware updates for your Belkin router?

When you say UPnP is finally available, do you mean the PS3 shows UPnP enabled, or does the router show UPnP enabled?

edit: doing UPnP and DMZ together is overkill. You don't need DMZ if UPnP is working. 

Message Edited by potatobreath on 01-13-2010 10:12 PM
Message 4 of 20 (12,692 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2070 posts

Jan 14, 2010
I had NAT3 for a long time until I finally found that the IP's modem had to be set to a bridged mode to get a NAT2 connection. This was after the last company change from Embarq to Centrlink. Try connecting the PS3 directly to the modem and see what NAT type your getting directly from the modem on the PS3.
Message 5 of 20 (12,692 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
734 posts

Jan 14, 2010
Check out www.portforward.com to see which ports to forward for the PSN.  It even has step by step instructions for your specific router.
Message 6 of 20 (12,692 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 14, 2010

My PS3 says that the UPnP is avalible; Ive got it enabled on the PS3 and on the routers settings page.

I will also try using a wired connection to see what happens.

Message 7 of 20 (12,692 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Jan 14, 2010
I had NAT type 3 for over a year and no matter what I did to change the settings on my router I could never get NAT 2. I just recently switched from DSL to cable so I received a new cable modem. After the technician set that up I plugged my router into it with the same settings applied before(no changes) that gave me NAT 3 and what do you know I got NAT 2 now. So it was never my router it was the DSL modem that was restricting the PS3. That cheap a$$ DSL modem realy had no settings on it to even open ports or NAT. Maybe the ISP itself had restrictions setup not sure. Long story to get to the point that I agree with jmm49, plug the PS3 directly into the modem so that you can see if the restriction is coming from there and not the router.
Message Edited by axeblade07 on 01-14-2010 03:51 PM
Message 8 of 20 (12,692 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
734 posts

Jan 15, 2010

axeblade07 wrote:
I had NAT type 3 for over a year and no matter what I did to change the settings on my router I could never get NAT 2. I just recently switched from DSL to cable so I received a new cable modem. After the technician set that up I plugged my router into it with the same settings applied before(no changes) that gave me NAT 3 and what do you know I got NAT 2 now. So it was never my router it was the DSL modem that was restricting the PS3. That cheap a$$ DSL modem realy had no settings on it to even open ports or NAT. Maybe the ISP itself had restrictions setup not sure. Long story to get to the point that I agree with jmm49, plug the PS3 directly into the modem so that you can see if the restriction is coming from there and not the router.

I don't think whether you are using DSL or Cable matters.  I'm using DSL and I have NAT 2.  All I had to do was forward the ports for the PSN on my router and that's how I got it.  I didn't mess with any setting in my modem.
Message 9 of 20 (12,692 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1156 posts

Jan 15, 2010

GoGunner24 wrote:

axeblade07 wrote:

I don't think whether you are using DSL or Cable matters.  I'm using DSL and I have NAT 2.  All I had to do was forward the ports for the PSN on my router and that's how I got it.  I didn't mess with any setting in my modem.

Yes it does matter, actually DSL is probably the most commmon and most overlooked cause of NAT type 3 issues with the PS3 or any other gaming console for that matter.  The problem occurs when users try to add their own router to create a home network.  With cable Internet this is never an issue as how the cable modem is a "bridge" device but DSL modems by default usually run in NAT or routed mode.  When connection your own router to another router all kinds of double-NAT problems occur and people will simply keep messing with their own router clueless as to what's actually causing the issue.  My advice for DSL customers troubleshooting NAT type 3 issues is very first thing connect your PS3 directly to the DSL modem and make sure you get NAT type 1.  If you get Type 2 or 3 DO NOT change any settings what so ever on your own router until you get the DSL modem reconfigured to run in "bridged" mode and verify you can get NAT type 1 connected directly to it.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 10 of 20 (12,692 Views)