Lombax Warrior
231 posts

Re: NAT Type 2 Tutorial

Dec 31, 2008

I have a Linksys Wireless G WRT54GS Router. When setting up my network, Linksys tech support told me to make my Local IP address: 10.10.10.1 . That is my router's IP address if im not mistaken, but when I go to the status page of my router, it shows the IP being 192.168.1.64 . I dont know much about setting up a wireless network but i've done it a couple of times without problems. That just confuses me i guess. Anyways, I have DSL and i'm connected thru a DSL modem, not a modem/router. So i dont think that is the problem. I have NAT3, and i want NAT2. If i go thru and change everything that the OP is telling me to change, both to the router and PS3, can i go back and change back to the current settings given I have problems? (which i am predicting WILL happen for some reason.) I just dont want to try this and end up screwing things up, that were working fairly well. I've only had a couple of problems with NAT3 so far. But I dont want problems in the future if I can make some changes now and avoid them. Thanks.

Also, I dont have a secondary DNS setting. Dont know if that matters?

Message Edited by slaughter_house8 on 12-30-2008 11:50 PM
Message 61 of 238 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
231 posts

Dec 31, 2008
No one? Oh well, it is kinda late.
Message 62 of 238 (305 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 31, 2008

Ive been tryin to figure this out forever now.  Everything looks good on mine except I get NAT Type Failed.  Does anyone know what this means?  I tried all the steps in the post to see if I could get it going but no luck.  I can get on the internet and everything but online gaming seems to be an issue, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.  Can someone inform me about what the Failed means and how I fix it?

Thanks

Message 63 of 238 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
423 posts

Jan 12, 2009
Message 64 of 238 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
635 posts

Jan 12, 2009

ThePunisher wrote:

EVILEMPIRE wrote:
Or YOU COULD simply buy this gaming router and u will always get nat type 2 in any connection http://www.geocities.com/samuelgoh21/WRT330N.jpg

not true..as you can see from alot of the threads; DSL customers are more susceptible to "double NATing".  DSL companies are notorious for giving thier customers modem/router combo devices.  A modem/router combo(not bridged) connected to a router, creating a double NAT issue giving the NAT3 on the PS3 side.  No router is going to fix this senario...it's the modem/router combo creating the problem. 

Yes  my DSL is a modem/router combo   so how do I fix it   step by step please.. thankyou

Message 65 of 238 (305 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jan 12, 2009
Does anyone know why port 80 and 443 are required?  I'm using those for something else, heh.
Message 66 of 238 (305 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 28, 2009

So I looked, it's been asked, but no real full explanation on it.

What do you do if you -know- you have the double-NAT issue, but your PS3 reports it's NAT Type 2? Remote play is what I'm shooting for. 

Is it possible to set the Router up with the PPPoE information of the Modem/Router? Is it even necessary if I have type 2? not sure

Message 67 of 238 (305 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 9, 2009
dude i don't have a router and it still says nat type3
Message 68 of 238 (305 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 12, 2009

I have several issues with your "tutorial."

First of all, most people who have routers like yours, linksys, need to find and enable upnp on that router.  That is in the Administration section on the router login.  Port forwarding and dmz server are not guaranteed to get you to nat type 2, most people need to find and enable upnp. 

Port forwarding and dmz server are not a sure way to get a less strict nat if you have a upnp capable router.  Also, if you do enable upnp, that automatically unlocks all ports required for the ps3, so port forwarding is then not necessary. 

Neither is assigning the playstation an ip address.  Using automatic ip and dns configuration, do not use dhcp or proxy, auto mtu, and enable upnp will work just fine as long as their setup is correctly configured.  You are leading people on a wild goose chase.

Furthermore you say that if those steps dont work that you have to bridge the modem.  Not so fast.  Now i dont work with dsl modems so i assume that "bridge" means disabling the firewall.  That is correct, for people who have dsl modems.   Cable modems dont have firewalls and thus dont need to be messed with at all.  Dsl users need to contact their isp and ask how to disable the firewall on their modems.  They do not need to go messing with pppoe settings and screw their connection up.  You have posted a "tutorial" that is misleading probably not purposely, but you certainly aren't master of the Nat type domain.

Message 69 of 238 (305 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4787 posts

Feb 12, 2009

Not bad but missing some key information.

The dangers of DMZ and how to avoid them.

Just setting up your router as the PPPoE doesn't solve the modem firewall issues. You also have to set the modem to bridge mode.

There is a link in my sig that has more detail.

Message 70 of 238 (305 Views)
0 Likes