Highlighted
Mar 28 2011
By: Insipidus7 First Son 22 posts

NAT Type 1 "Open" with Apple Airport Extreme Possible for PS3?

3 replies 2091 views Edited Mar 28, 2011

Hello there.  Currently I have an issue where I cannot obtain a NAT Type 1 on my PS3 system using Apple's Airport Extreme.  I have NAT Type 2 which is ok, but I have issues connecting to online games, chat issues, and boots here and there.  Games that this has occured on recently are NBA2k11, Crysis 2, and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

I've attempted to DMZ the Extreme, as well as forward ports on the thing and set up my PS3's Network Connection manually, but I am still stuck at NAT Type 2.  I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to obtain a NAT Type 1 on their PS3 using Apple's Airport Extreme.  I've contacted both Apple and Sony earlier today for a solution, so hopefully they'll have some helpful input very soon.

Also, I cannot connect with a wire directly to the Extreme.  I have to use a wireless connection or nothing at all (Landlord rules...).  If one does a simple Google search for "PS3 and Apple Airport Extreme", they will find all of the links in which I've gone through trying to find a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone in advance for their time.

~7~
Message 1 of 4 (2,091 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1153 posts

Re: NAT Type 1 "Open" with Apple Airport Extreme Possible for PS3?

Mar 29, 2011

Just tell us whar Apple says. People seem to have a lot of nat issues with Apple's routers. Is it your own router or is it shared by others?

Message 2 of 4 (2,091 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 29, 2011

insipidus7, it's not a problem at all.

You get NAT2 when you are behind the router. It's considered to be fairly normal and your connection is fully functional.

You get NAT1 if your PS3 connected straight to internet (for example you run your PPPoP connection straight from PS3, which is connected right to your modem).

I have the same router as you and have NAT2 all the time and usually I get open NAT in most games. I have the problem with Crysis 2 though, but as I know it's might be a problem with EA servers, not my current setup or ISP.

Message 3 of 4 (2,091 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1153 posts

Mar 29, 2011

He said " I have NAT Type 2 which is ok, but I have issues connecting to online games, chat issues, and boots here and there.  Games that this has occured on recently are NBA2k11, Crysis 2, and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit."

So there might be a problem on his side. As for your crysis 2 issues Passenger, you can try connecting directly to your modem to prove whether it is your router or EA

Message 4 of 4 (2,091 Views)
0 Likes