Lombax Warrior
272 posts

Re: Mystery port on top of Vita.

May 6, 2013

It's really funny how Sony puts overkill features on their units, and never uses them.

The original PlayStation had a paralell port, and the only thing it could be used for was my GameShark. Later models of PS1 didn't have the paralell port.

The original PlayStation2 had an IEEE 1394 port called "I-Link". I never found a use for this (although truthfully, I never tried). Later model PS2s didn't have the port.

As someone already mentioned, the original PlaySationPortable came with an Infrared lens labeled "IR", which never saw any use.

The original PlayStation3 is the mack-daddy of ports that were done away with in later models. Compact Flash "CF" port, "SD/miniSD" port, MagicGate memory stick "PRO" port, 4 USB ports. I never used the memory stick or SD slots. I have USB adapters for each that make it easier to use this media.

And now, the PlayStationVita mystery port. I sure hope they do something with this port.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ol' Kahuna says "This is the AKS-74. The preferred weapon of your enemy, and it makes a distictive sound when fired at you. So, remember it!"
Message 31 of 66 (1,266 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7190 posts

May 6, 2013

BorisTheSpider wrote:

It's really funny how Sony puts overkill features on their units, and never uses them.

The original PlayStation had a paralell port, and the only thing it could be used for was my GameShark. Later models of PS1 didn't have the paralell port.

The original PlayStation2 had an IEEE 1394 port called "I-Link". I never found a use for this (although truthfully, I never tried). Later model PS2s didn't have the port.

As someone already mentioned, the original PlaySationPortable came with an Infrared lens labeled "IR", which never saw any use.

The original PlayStation3 is the mack-daddy of ports that were done away with in later models. Compact Flash "CF" port, "SD/miniSD" port, MagicGate memory stick "PRO" port, 4 USB ports. I never used the memory stick or SD slots. I have USB adapters for each that make it easier to use this media.

And now, the PlayStationVita mystery port. I sure hope they do something with this port.

The IR port on the PSP was used to share pictures wirelessly with someone next to you.

Kind of off topic here, but does anyone remember how many ports the Gamecube had, that were never really utilized for the average user? There were a ton lol.

Message 32 of 66 (1,254 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3399 posts

May 24, 2013

One of those ports was used for the Gameboy Advance Player.

.. and FUTHERMORE, do you realize you're reading my signature?!?

Gameplays, Reviews, Playstation Move videos, ect... www.youtube.com/farmhousemedia3000
Message 33 of 66 (1,131 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

May 24, 2013

BorisTheSpider wrote:

I used that original PlayStation parallel port for a third party memony card that had a ton on save game space. Unfortunatly after about 6 months or so some of save files started becoming corrupted.

Message 34 of 66 (1,126 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jul 7, 2013

Look inside the bottom power port of your Vita.  Notice how many metal lines.

Now look inside your charging cable.  Notice the lack of metal lines.

Just sayin'.

As far as the port next to volume buttons, no clue.

Message 35 of 66 (855 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

Jul 7, 2013
?

~ What? The devil don't take checks, I tried to send a message to god his phone don't take texts.. ~
Message 36 of 66 (850 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 11, 2013

well my screen is cracked so it would be helpful

Message 37 of 66 (799 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2013

it WOULD be great if they did because my screen is cracked

EDIT: sorry i typed it twice lol

Message 38 of 66 (799 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 11, 2013
that was for stability for the tip of the power cable you know after a while that the power port for one of your devices starts to wiggle? that prevents it
Message 39 of 66 (798 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6032 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2013
Message 40 of 66 (787 Views)
0 Likes