Sep 22 2012
By: kindred7 First Son 5 posts

My wish for dualshock support...

17 replies 377 views Edited Sep 22, 2012

I have really enjoyed my vita so far. The hardware is capable of so much. There are finally games coming out soon that I have been anxiously awaiting to see what it is really capable of. I LOVE the screen and the decoding capabilities for video and the resolution which is sharper than any portable device I have ever owned. I love the backwards compatibility with games I already own and can continue to play after moving onto the vita, some of them epic games you would never have imagined playing on the go in their day.

There is only one thing lacking about it that makes me miss my old PSP Go. (I know there were not a ton of us, but it was still a nice piece of gear.) My favorite feature was that it was capable of being controlled by a DualShock3 wirelessly with its onboard bluetooth. This made many of the games much easier to control and MUCH more enjoyable to play. I truly enjoyed playing final fantasy games, gran turismo, and star wars battlefront II with it. Not only did it feel much more natural to my hands, being a console gamer, but it made longer sessions less fatiguing on the hands. I actually used the media stand for the psp go to hold the thing while I handled the wireless controller instead. It was the one thing that made me love my Go and made me desire to pick it up more often. The bluetooth was not even such a terrible drain on the battery. I probably would not have played it nearly as often if not for that control option.

Now, I know the controls on the vita are far superior to the psp's, but it could also stand to gain from the capability. I know that the vita should technically be capable of pairing with the dualshock the same as the psp go was able to, as it also has bluetooth onboard. A firmware update should be able to enable it. There are several reasons why you may be interested in the capability. Let me name a couple possibilities. First of all, regardless of how you feel about the sticks and the buttons on the vita, I believe that most ps3 gamers, like myself just feel that the dualshock is more comfortable to wield and that it is easier on the hands to play for extended periods of time. Another reason is that as remote play capability ramps up, not only will you have all the buttons available as the game originally intended them (and your hands are used to them), but there is a greater range of motion and added precision with the dualshock's sticks. Also the buttons may be more responsive or easier to hammer on for lengths of time. If playing solo you could use the stand (cradle) to hold the vita and maybe even connect sony's external battery for extended playtime.

Besides those two reasons, which definitely benefited my psp go, I thought of an even better use for it. Imagine if you were able to play local multiplayer on a game with only a single copy of the game on a single ps vita. One person could control with the vita itself and the second player could look on and use the dualshock, untethered to the other player. Some games that come to mind that could truly benefit from this control scheme would be Madden, FIFA, Street Fighter X Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom, LittleBigPlanet, and I'm sure many others that would not even need any split-screen. It should be quite easy to patch existing multiplayer games and add the little bit of code to upcoming games. While the install base is still relatively small, it would be much easier to find someone to play with, as your friend diesn't have to have a vita on him to play, much less as copy of the same game as well. And just because someone is able to play with you doesn't mean they will be less willing to purchase it themselves. On the contrary, once they experience playing yours, I believe it will make them want to go and buy their own. I think it could be a win/win for you and vita.

If anyone agrees, maybe a bunch of us should petition Sony for the feature. I know it would make me love my vita that much more. And there would be nothing left for me to miss about my old psp.

Message 1 of 18 (377 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2613 posts

Re: My wish for dualshock support...

Sep 22, 2012

Dualshock Support would be pretty neat. It has Bluetooth on it so why not?

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 2 of 18 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1628 posts

Sep 22, 2012

So you basically want to bring not only your Vita, a portable gaming system, with you wherever you go, but you also want to lug around one or two dualshock controllers? I hope you have big pockets.

You want to play local multiplayer on the Vita.

First of all, what game is going to support this? Right now, none of them do, and that includes PS1 classics. On those, you can only switch to a second controller port in the options.

Secondly, setting your PSVita on a table and playing with two people. Huh... if you are doing it at home, you are only a small step away from just playing your PS3.

Thirdly, regarding the controller support in general, I shouldn't have to remind you that this is a touch screen system. What are you going to do with the many touch activated sequences, assuming that you'd be playing those games. Reach up and knock over the Vita trying to do it, or pick it up and completely defeat the purpose of using the dualshocks? A lot of games will rely heavily on touch controls.

There are certain things that Sony might implement in updates later on down the road, and there are certain things that just don't make enough sense and that you can pretty much just forget about it. This is one of the latter.

That said, it's not impossible. If they did, it would be implemented only for PS1 classics, and it wouldn't work anywhere else. I still highly doubt it. As you said, the Vita's controller setup is much better than the PSP, so I don't think they are going to start doubting it and let you use dualshocks.

Personally, I consider myself a hardcore gamer and yes, I play for extended sessions. The only thing that becomes a minor annoyance are marks left in my hand from the sides of the Vita. If I really wanted to solve this, there are and will be more third party add-ons that make it easier to hold the Vita. At the moment though, I really don't care that much about it. When I first got my Vita, I was a bit concerned about the small size of the buttons and sticks, though after playing for a while, they are starting to feel more natural to me, so I really like them as they are.

Message 3 of 18 (347 Views)
Sackboy
614 posts

Sep 23, 2012
Well hold on a second......
Seriously think about it. Using the Dual Shock as Player 2 on certain ( mostly PSOne)games would be really nice.
I could get my wife in on some bomberman before bed without disturbing the baby!
-ignorance is destroying man... one step at a time.-
Message 4 of 18 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1628 posts

Sep 23, 2012

guidoXXL wrote:
Well hold on a second......
Seriously think about it. Using the Dual Shock as Player 2 on certain ( mostly PSOne)games would be really nice.
I could get my wife in on some bomberman before bed without disturbing the baby!

Seriously think about it? Okay............ Done. Who are you gonna hold the Vita in front of, you or her? Both?

Message 5 of 18 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
614 posts

Sep 23, 2012
If yer a smaller guy, sure. I can hug my wife and grab my shoulders. She's a little thing and a cuddle bug.
Been keeping her happy for thirteen years and running.
Not looking to have my back ridden by Richard Cranium, just offering perspective.
-ignorance is destroying man... one step at a time.-
Message 6 of 18 (280 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Sep 24, 2012

I'd like to share my thoughts on a few of these comments.

One, I didn't carry a dualshock with me everywhere I'd take the psp. You don't have to use it all the time, just when you prefer to use it as an alternate control setup.

Next, yes I would like local multiplayer on the Vita. For those games that have netcode that allow you to play an opponent on the network, it would not take much work to make them accept another local input for your opponent.  Also, many PSOne games had local multiplayer and it probably wouldn't be too difficult to modify the emulator to allow multiple controllers. Those games that already support local multiplayer wouldn't have to be modified at all, just the vita's emulator software.

I mentioned the hosting player using the vita's controls and the second player using the dualshock. You wouldn't have to set the vita down. But I have used the cradle with the psp go and the dualshock and it wasn't bad.

Next, it is a touchscreen system, but on many games the touchscreen controls are not forced, but included as a control option. Anyway, if you're playing multiplayer and one is holding the vita, the touchscreen is still usable.

PSOne games and multiplayer vita games are not the only games where you'd want to use a dualshock. Like I mentioned, while using remote play it would feel more natural. No reaching to the back touch panel to simulate missing buttons. They'd all be there. And isn't it also true that the triggers and buttons are analog (pressure sensitive) on the dualshock but not on the vita? How is that supposed to work for games that utilize that functionality when playing via remote play?

Finally, I think the vita's analog sticks and buttons are quite sufficient for playing many games, but others will benefit from the longer throw and more minute precision of the dualshock's sticks. And some people may prefer the give of the buttons on the dualshock to the vita's, particularly if they are used for extended periods. Also, you would be putting that much less wear and tear on the vita's controls every time you use the dualshock. Some games I would love to hammer the buttons and sticks to play the game well, but I don't want to subject the vita's miniature inputs to that kind of abuse. A new dualshock is pretty much an impulse purchase. A new vita, not so much...

Message 7 of 18 (251 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11353 posts

Sep 24, 2012

kindred7 wrote:

I'd like to share my thoughts on a few of these comments.

One, I didn't carry a dualshock with me everywhere I'd take the psp. You don't have to use it all the time, just when you prefer to use it as an alternate control setup.

Next, yes I would like local multiplayer on the Vita. For those games that have netcode that allow you to play an opponent on the network, it would not take much work to make them accept another local input for your opponent.

You can stop right there.  You are talking about local multiplayer on a FIVE INCH SCREEN.  I don't think there's any way to make it work worthy of the effort.

Message 8 of 18 (231 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Sep 25, 2012

Look, I would primarily use it for singleplayer anyway. That's how I used it on the psp go.

And it did work very well, btw. I just wish they would bring it back since the bluetooth's there.

Some games would play better, that's my point.

Message 9 of 18 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4158 posts

Sep 25, 2012
I guess its nice to have the option. But then id have to reason with myself why I just dont use my PS3 since im just going to sit at home with a DS3 connected to a Vita? It only worked great on the Psp go because it didnt have a second joystick. But now that Sony gave us that second analog, it would pointless to add DS3 support especially since the trigger grip is out. I connect my ds3 to my tablet since that makes more since.
Message 10 of 18 (209 Views)
0 Likes