Sackboy
498 posts

Re: My thermal "upgrade" experience

Mar 18, 2012

I should clarify what I mean. I've looked for "new" fans, and the only thing that is sold as "new" are the Talismoon's. All the OEM fans I've seen are used or refurbs. So it looks like the choices are a new Talismoon, or an OEM that's been ripped out of another unit. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I can't find the OEM fan sourced by anyone.

Message 11 of 23 (45 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 18, 2012

Eightboll812 wrote:

I should clarify what I mean. I've looked for "new" fans, and the only thing that is sold as "new" are the Talismoon's. All the OEM fans I've seen are used or refurbs. So it looks like the choices are a new Talismoon, or an OEM that's been ripped out of another unit. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I can't find the OEM fan sourced by anyone.

Well you wouldn't at this point, since the models that used those fans have long since been discontinued. OEM fans from what I have seen have been fairly reliable, and you shouldn't have a problem with them. From what I have observed the Talismoon fans aren't made to the exact same specification as the OEM ones, which probably explains why some people are experiencing issues with them...

Message 12 of 23 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 19, 2012

I may experiment with the OEM down the road. For now, I'm going to see how this works, both from a noise and cooling perspective. I'm particularly interested in learning if the graphic artifacts that I'm attributing to video RAM are heat related (on my system) and if this new setup eliminates the symptoms.

After one night, the results are good. Until recently, I didn't have a game that would consistently show the artifacts I'm talking about. They sometimes showed up on Fallout3 but not consistently. I recently started getting back into Far Cry 2 and that very consistently has some of the color flickering and rods (and last time I played about 6-9 months ago, it was flawless). Last night was the first time I didn't see any questionable graphic issues.

Which brings me to the point of this post. Another thing that is odd about the Talismoon, aside from the fact it is called "whisper" and it's actually louder. I'm used to the stock fan doing a quick ramp up (fan test) to the highest speed for about 1 second then idling back down. This fan actually is slower to turn on, noticeably, like "hey is the fan going to start at all??!?". But when it does, it ramps all the way up and stays at the highest speed (just going by audible noise, which may be misleading I suppose). And putting a game in that uses intense graphics doesn't change the speed at all. It ramps up immediately and stays on high speed.

So it seems that this fan is monospeed. And maybe that is why it does such a good job cooling, it doesn't react to high heat, it proactively blows out heat so it never gets too hot. I didn't say that well, but I think you can probably get my meaning.

Message 13 of 23 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 19, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Well you wouldn't at this point, since the models that used those fans have long since been discontinued. OEM fans from what I have seen have been fairly reliable, and you shouldn't have a problem with them. From what I have observed the Talismoon fans aren't made to the exact same specification as the OEM ones, which probably explains why some people are experiencing issues with them...

I'm kind of funny about using used parts, no matter what the reputation is. I guess I imagine that I'm going to get the one that is about to fail, and probably already did, but the owner added a little WD-40 to lube it a little enough to get it rotating again, but will die in another week. Or I'd get the one that is on sale because the reason it's being dismantled for parts is that some baby dumped formula into the PS3 and crammed pureed peas into the Blu-ray slot and it didn't survive the ordeal... And the fan is set to gum up soon from the formula.

I guess I should look at it like "it's just a fan, it's probably fine." But as with all electronics, its the things that have moving parts that you have to worry about wearing out (like hard drives and stuff), and the fan is definitely one of the moving parts.

Message 14 of 23 (45 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 19, 2012

Eightboll812 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I'm kind of funny about using used parts, no matter what the reputation is. I guess I imagine that I'm going to get the one that is about to fail, and probably already did, but the owner added a little WD-40 to lube it a little enough to get it rotating again, but will die in another week. Or I'd get the one that is on sale because the reason it's being dismantled for parts is that some baby dumped formula into the PS3 and crammed pureed peas into the Blu-ray slot and it didn't survive the ordeal... And the fan is set to gum up soon from the formula.

I guess I should look at it like "it's just a fan, it's probably fine." But as with all electronics, its the things that have moving parts that you have to worry about wearing out (like hard drives and stuff), and the fan is definitely one of the moving parts.

Like a ceiling fan, the ps3 fan works because of electrical pulses (not other moving parts) that drives the fan, making it very unlikely to wear out or need WD-40. The "baby formula" senario is also unlikely since the system fan is on the underside of the PS3 and pointed toward the bottom shell of the PS3...

Message 15 of 23 (45 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 19, 2012

Eightboll812 wrote:

I may experiment with the OEM down the road. For now, I'm going to see how this works, both from a noise and cooling perspective. I'm particularly interested in learning if the graphic artifacts that I'm attributing to video RAM are heat related (on my system) and if this new setup eliminates the symptoms.

After one night, the results are good. Until recently, I didn't have a game that would consistently show the artifacts I'm talking about. They sometimes showed up on Fallout3 but not consistently. I recently started getting back into Far Cry 2 and that very consistently has some of the color flickering and rods (and last time I played about 6-9 months ago, it was flawless). Last night was the first time I didn't see any questionable graphic issues.

Which brings me to the point of this post. Another thing that is odd about the Talismoon, aside from the fact it is called "whisper" and it's actually louder. I'm used to the stock fan doing a quick ramp up (fan test) to the highest speed for about 1 second then idling back down. This fan actually is slower to turn on, noticeably, like "hey is the fan going to start at all??!?". But when it does, it ramps all the way up and stays at the highest speed (just going by audible noise, which may be misleading I suppose). And putting a game in that uses intense graphics doesn't change the speed at all. It ramps up immediately and stays on high speed.

So it seems that this fan is monospeed. And maybe that is why it does such a good job cooling, it doesn't react to high heat, it proactively blows out heat so it never gets too hot. I didn't say that well, but I think you can probably get my meaning.

I'm pretty certain that the PS3 controls the fan speed. If you are seeing that type of performance, you should definately change the fan back and see if you get the same results, if you do then you probably have a problem with the connection of the thermal paste and heat sink...

Message 16 of 23 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 20, 2012

I may eventually try that, but I'm actually not that concerned about there being "problems".

1) I'm really confident there is no connection problem. I got a decent amount of paste, and I mounted it without the fan, so I verified it was all sandwiched down and the clamps are tight. Like I've said in other posts, IMO 95% of the fix is getting paste, 5% is application technique ("x" vs "5 dots" vs "line", etc). I may not have it "perfect", but I did it well enough that there would be no reason it would max out the speed as soon as it is powered on, before I've put in a game or done anything else. I'm very methodical by nature. Even one of the "tests" for telling if you have cooling problems due to dried out factory paste is to let it idle on the XMB and after 5-10 minutes the fan will go to max. I'd have to REALLY screw things up on the paste for my fan to go to max the second it turns on. In other words, worse than the old cracked and dried 4 year old factory paste I replaced.

2) The initial "fan test" doesn't indicate there is any audible difference between speeds. I'd think if what you said were true, I'd hear some variation before settling in at high speed

3) Two days now without seeing any issue, or even a hint of an issue like I have seen in the past couple months. I still have my fingers crossed...

If there is an issue, it's probably something else. I'm sure the speed is controlled by the PS3 as well. I'm not sure if it's controlled through adjusting the voltage or if there is a signal line that switches the fan to high speed through signal changes. Also, without prior experience with this fan, I don't know it by heart, it's different sounds and so forth. It could just be that there isn't much difference in sound between different speeds and it sounds monospeed, while in reality it is switching speeds. It could be that this is the low speed and it's cooling so well, it doesn't ever kick into higher gear. The initial fan test is so brief, maybe my ear isn't hearing the brief higher speed sound.

Message 17 of 23 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Mar 20, 2012

I wonder how long the liquid cooled PS3's have lasted *trollface*

Furiously Chaosing
Message 18 of 23 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3324 posts

Mar 20, 2012

they look cool at first but thats just overkill..lol

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 19 of 23 (45 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 21, 2012

kythunder wrote:

they look cool at first but thats just overkill..lol

A company was actually selling a liquid cooling kit for the PS3, years ago. I really kept your PS3 quiet, because you no longer needed the fan!

Message 20 of 23 (45 Views)
0 Likes