Nov 21 2011
By: smgreen20 First Son 30 posts

My playstation!!!!!!

5 replies 5 views Edited Nov 21, 2011

I Had to send my G1 60G in for repair 5 months ago at a repair cost of $130. It stopped reading discs and would sometimes read one.

OK, got it back, everythings good.

Fastforward to last weekend when in the middle of a game the screen froze and it shut off and the red light would flash until I touched the power button, then to a solid red.

This weekend I was watching The Lord of the Rings Ext Ed on Bluray and it did it again, screen froze, then turned off. Turned it back on and was able to finish the first disc.

Next day, wife and I rented a Bluray, 5 mins into the movie, again, screen froze, shut off. Turned it back on and was able to watch the remainder of the movie. After the movie was over, I ejected the disc and went to show my wife a downloaded game clip, it got as far as to show the PS logo, froze, shut off. Turn it back on only to have it freeze and shut off before it could even finish displaying the PS3 logo at the into to turning the console on. So I tried it again. Again it froze on start up. Let it sit for a few hours and started it back up. All seemed fine. Put in BF3 and right as it went to the weapons loadout screen (multi player online) it froze, shut off.

Called Sony today and even though it's only 1 month out of its 90 day warranty from being fixed the first time, they stated that their policy on this is strict and wont cover it. So now I have to shell out another $130 for repair bringing the cost of this PS3 to just under $900. $642 (tax included) for the console, $130 x 2 for repair would = $872!!!!!!!!

REALLY!!!!!

Nintendo covered my sons DS when a button quit working 6 weeks after its warranty free of charge. I find it hard to believe that Sony wont do the same on an already repaired (BY THEM) PS3. I've been a PS fan since day 1. I've had 2 PS1's, 2 PS2's and I just bought my son a PS3 for Xmas. I don't have the $$ to send it in AGAIN!!!!!!

RANT OVER

So, on that note, does anyone know if the slims internals and the fats internals are interchangable? I wont be able to play my PS1/PS2 games though and that bugs me as well as having the card readers and 4 USB ports.

Message 1 of 6 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Re: My playstation!!!!!!

Nov 21, 2011

Hi smgreen,

Sorry for all the issues with your PS3, and I understand you are upset, but please don't attempt to evade the profanity filter, this is an all ages forum and as such all content posted has to be approved for all ages, etc.

Thanks for understanding

-SP

Message 2 of 6 (5 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 21, 2011

dude i ended up losing 60$ worth of DLC somehow i pretty mad too i lost cod maps little big planet content it makes me mad cause i have to buy it all over again i wasted good money

Message 3 of 6 (5 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 21, 2011

No the parts for the PS3 Slim aren't interchangable with the fat PS3. Also all PS3s can play PS1 games, only PS2 compatibility with disc based games has been eliminated.

Unfortunately you found out the hard way that Sony can't effectively repair the older PS3 systems, because they are recycling old parts and not using new ones. If you really want to try to get your older PS3  system repaired properly, you should contact a 3rd party company called Endless Electronics. They charge $30 to diagnose your system so they can find out what is wrong with it, and then only bill you for the repair ($50-$80) if they can repair it. Their warranties are much longer too (at least 1 year) and for an additional charge you can make the warranty unlimited.

In any case this option is cheaper than what Sony can offer you, and protects you from paying to have it happen again in the short term...

Message 4 of 6 (5 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24785 posts

Nov 21, 2011

a-lil-ninja wrote:

dude i ended up losing 60$ worth of DLC somehow i pretty mad too i lost cod maps little big planet content it makes me mad cause i have to buy it all over again i wasted good money

You don't have to buy anything all over again. Anything you've already paid for is available to redownload at no additional charge.

Message 5 of 6 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
659 posts

Nov 21, 2011

I like your sig . Kitty Firepower .

Message 6 of 6 (5 Views)
0 Likes