Wastelander
663 posts

Re: My experience with Endless Electronics

Jun 8, 2012

So the system they will send as a replacement is another CECHA01 apparently in great shape and has been run for like 15+ hours into the break-in period, and apparently is very quiet.

Message 411 of 513 (347 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 19, 2012

Hey all,

I purchased a reflow repair on my 60gb original ps3 in September of 2011 from Endless Electronics. This repair came with a lifetime warranty with an upgrade to a reball if it failed. I was excited, the system came back fine and worked ok for about 7 months, although the fan was running on high most of the time. In May 2012 it got the YLOD again and I sent it back for the warranty repair. I got a call a couple days after it was delivered, on a Saturday i think, that they couldn't find anything wrong with it, that it had been playing movies for 4 hours and Call of Duty online for 2. I was like, "OK, not sure how this is possible, it got the YLOD within 5 minutes of it being on, then wouldn't even turn on again." The guy said it was fine, that my thermal paste didn't apply right (but after 7 months you think it would have applied correctly?) and that they re-did it. Ok. So i get it back the next week and within 5 minutes of turning the system on and putting a game in to test it, it gets the YLOD again! So i record a video of the system with the YLOD and email it to them saying that it died again and I want my shipping paid for this time (I paid $35 and $25 respectively to ship to and get it shipped back for the first warranty because they said nothing was wrong). They did reimburse my shpping and apologized saying that there was nothing wrong when they tested and they have no idea how this could happen. Well I ship it and don't hear anything from them for a couple days after they received it, so I call and Ben answers. He says "well it's going through some extra quality control at the moment." and offers nothing else. He said that they reapplied the thermal paste and that it dried out. How does it dry out after being used for 5 minutes??? So about a week passes and I hear nothing from them until my wife goes outside today and sees my ps3 sitting on the front porch. I emailed them last night asking for an update on it, then Tom got back to me this morning saying according to the tracking it arrived yesterday at 4pm?!?! They never sent me tracking information and I never knew my ps3 arrived so my system sat outside in the heat and rain and through the night. I'm at work and wont be home til much later tonight when i can test it. But idk what to do if it doesn't work? Should i file with the BBB or try to resolve the issue w/ EE first? I've had to deal with this too much with no updates or customer service really of any kind. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Message 412 of 513 (547 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 19, 2012

Hey all,

I purchased a reflow repair on my 60gb original ps3 in September of 2011 from Endless Electronics. This repair came with a lifetime warranty with an upgrade to a reball if it failed. I was excited, the system came back fine and worked ok for about 7 months, although the fan was running on high most of the time. In May 2012 it got the YLOD again and I sent it back for the warranty repair. I got a call a couple days after it was delivered, on a Saturday i think, that they couldn't find anything wrong with it, that it had been playing movies for 4 hours and Call of Duty online for 2. I was like, "OK, not sure how this is possible, it got the YLOD within 5 minutes of it being on, then wouldn't even turn on again." The guy said it was fine, that my thermal paste didn't apply right (but after 7 months you think it would have applied correctly?) and that they re-did it. Ok. So i get it back the next week and within 5 minutes of turning the system on and putting a game in to test it, it gets the YLOD again! So i record a video of the system with the YLOD and email it to them saying that it died again and I want my shipping paid for this time (I paid $35 and $25 respectively to ship to and get it shipped back for the first warranty because they said nothing was wrong). They did reimburse my shpping and apologized saying that there was nothing wrong when they tested and they have no idea how this could happen. Well I ship it and don't hear anything from them for a couple days after they received it, so I call and Ben answers. He says "well it's going through some extra quality control at the moment." and offers nothing else. He said that they reapplied the thermal paste and that it dried out. How does it dry out after being used for 5 minutes??? So about a week passes and I hear nothing from them until my wife goes outside today and sees my ps3 sitting on the front porch. I emailed them last night asking for an update on it, then Tom got back to me this morning saying according to the tracking it arrived yesterday at 4pm?!?! They never sent me tracking information and I never knew my ps3 arrived so my system sat outside in the heat and rain and through the night. I'm at work and wont be home til much later tonight when i can test it. But idk what to do if it doesn't work? Should i file with the BBB or try to resolve the issue w/ EE first? I've had to deal with this too much with no updates or customer service really of any kind. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Message 413 of 513 (547 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
95 posts

Jun 19, 2012

Well let this be a lesson learned. I wouldn't trust anyone who claims to run a "in the garage ps3 repair business" I know, not everyone has the option to buy a brand new ps3 or even a used one from gamestop. But it sure as hell beats sending it back-and-forth especially to some random "company" So what if it comes with a warranty to clean it, re thermal, re ball whatever. That's not a permanent fix it's obviously failing for a reason. Save your time and money and just buy a new one and get a warranty through Sony.

$30 to look at it
$50-$80 to reball
$40 overheat repair
$60 for a laser? wtf? i can get a brand new one off ebay for $30
$100 for a new drive? ....Scam wow...
$40 PSU
And i'm sure if you hassle them too much they can just do more damage, maybe play hockey with it?
I'm sure the cleaning price is hidden somewhere, napkins and saliva aren't cheap.

For any of those prices i'd rather pick up a new system with a warranty.

My lesson has been learned. I sent them a system a year or two ago, They wound up breaking my optical drive and managed to drop the ps3 and broke the motherboard. AWESOME COMPANY!

Message 414 of 513 (547 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 19, 2012

You do have a stange issue, and I can't figure what the issue might be. But it does seem that your reflowed chip is having intermittent contact, which might explain why it only works sometimes.

Since you are entitled to a reball repair, should your reflow fail, I would suggest you push to have that done. Your repair will be longer lasting in the end...

Message 415 of 513 (547 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 20, 2012

Dustin8989 wrote:

Well let this be a lesson learned. I wouldn't trust anyone who claims to run a "in the garage ps3 repair business" I know, not everyone has the option to buy a brand new ps3 or even a used one from gamestop. But it sure as hell beats sending it back-and-forth especially to some random "company" So what if it comes with a warranty to clean it, re thermal, re ball whatever. That's not a permanent fix it's obviously failing for a reason. Save your time and money and just buy a new one and get a warranty through Sony.

$30 to look at it
$50-$80 to reball
$40 overheat repair
$60 for a laser? ***? i can get a brand new one off ebay for $30
$100 for a new drive? ....Scam wow...
$40 PSU
And i'm sure if you hassle them too much they can just do more damage, maybe play hockey with it?
I'm sure the cleaning price is hidden somewhere, napkins and saliva aren't cheap.

For any of those prices i'd rather pick up a new system with a warranty.

My lesson has been learned. I sent them a system a year or two ago, They wound up breaking my optical drive and managed to drop the ps3 and broke the motherboard. AWESOME COMPANY!

I don't think you quite understand the point here. Sony can't repair older 60GB PS3s properly, many people have complained that their repaired system doesn't last much longer than the small 90 day warranty Sony gives on these systems.

Many of us want to keep our backwards compatible PS3 systems, and having Sony repair it is simply not going to be effective.

The prices EE charges is in line with most everyplace else that does PS3 repair. Yes you can probably buy a PSU and laser diode for yourself less, but it doesn't include labor and may people would rather have a professional do the installation for them.

Message 416 of 513 (548 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1431 posts

Endless Electronics PS3 Repair

Jul 24, 2012

Mods pls move this if you have to. Wasn't sure where to post it.

Okay, I need an opinion from all who have sent in their PS3 to Endless Electronics to have the YLOD repaired. I am having a hard time deciding if I wanna box up and ship my 80gb Fatty 3 states away. I have heard a couple good things about their services, but I need to be coerced into doing this for sure. I hate to end up losing my PS3 somewhere down the line after sending it off.

Are they trustworthy? Reliable? How quickly do they get the job done?

All opinions are valuable at this point. Please voice them. Thanks

Message 417 of 513 (917 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Endless Electronics PS3 Repair

Jul 24, 2012
I have had my PS3 reballed by them, they are very reliable and pretty quick with the repair (providing there aren't any problems). The repair will probably take about a week, and most of that time will be taken by the shipping process.

You can read more testimonials on their Facebook page...
Message 418 of 513 (915 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1431 posts

Jul 24, 2012

Ah, I think it was you that recommended them to me the other day. I couldn't remember.  They seem very very legit and good at what they do, but I'd like to hear other views as well.

Message 419 of 513 (913 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1431 posts

Jul 24, 2012

I read up about them on FB. I have decided to send my PS3 to them. I will possibly update this thread once everything is said and done.

Message 420 of 513 (900 Views)
0 Likes